Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   JSOU'S Official 2007-2008 NFL Rosters and Settings w/ a franchise file. (/forums/showthread.php?t=233103)

jsou4646 12-29-2007 12:00 AM

JSOU'S Official 2007-2008 NFL Rosters and Settings w/ a franchise file.

3 Attachment(s)
How We Created Our Rosters 12-28-07
First off, I have been creating and editing rosters for about 12 years now. Once I found Finn's editor I knew this would allow me to create my own so called virtual NFL. My first step was to read through all of the threads that I could, to gather information about the use and theory's of this editor and game. After that I took notes on each post that I thought we could use in creating our own rosters. Once I did all that we began this journey, and 4 months later, and a few buddy's helping, 2 ex college football players, a QB and a FS, we have finally finished our 2007-2008 Official Rosters. I also want to thank dspark23 without his knowledge about every detail of the editor this wouldn't or couldn't have been done. I want to thank dan77733 here on op sports he helped me with some questions as well. I am going to go through each attribute and explain why we did what we did.
One thing that was a must for us was setting players composure and leadership the same. Starting at 90 ranging to 120. The elite players are at 120 great at 115 very good 110 and so on ending with the average player at 90. I learned in these forums that with the performance eq on the computer uses 80 as a point were att's are brought to in order to somewhat even the playing field. For ex if a player has 60 composure with the eq on, the computer gives that att 1/2 of what it takes to get to 80, so that 60 becomes 70 due to 60 being 20 away from 80, there fore 10 is half of 20 equals so that att gets a boost of 10. It's kind of complicated but if you research these forums you can learn quite a bit in a short time. For us having the Performance EQ on is a must, with this option off the game has that slow down animation. This is when a db is trailing a wr then for some reason slows down to allow the catch, then some how speeds up and makes the tackle. To be honest this is why I stopped playing this game years ago, and once I found that the Eq on would solve this I was excited to say the least. The Eq on also allow's this game play and feel like a real NFL game. Too many games to me feel like a college game, were players have overall rating's of 47 and 56, that to me is not what the NFL is all bout. To me games each week are won by play calling, mistakes, turnovers and of course better players, but each game (most of the time) is a decent game. In the NFL the league is so tight in talent that no player should be so bad that he can't even begin to compete. There of course is better players than others, and great and elite players, but I just think that each player should have somewhat of a chance day in and day out.
Consistency I used a scale as well, 95 being the top and 70 the bottom. Consistency was used as our overall rating in a sense. Since this att effected all player and positions we used this as a way to gauge each player. 95 as the elite of the league scaling to 70 being the bottom. My aggressiveness rating is also taken from info gathered on this site. It make's this game ferocious as it is in the NFL. Durability I started with a minimum of 60 to 99. Durability is an att that we want to look into further for next years roster, we have some theory's one being dividing games played by total games for thier carrer. This is just one though not sure how this is going to play out. In the NFL it's long season with a ton of injuries. The team that stays healthy and plays well usually goes a long way.
My Stamina levels are set to play with my settings which will also be attached to this this thread. All att's that do not really effect a position have been lowered to single digits. Speed, agility, I based from not only other 2007 football games but mostly from our knowledge of not only playing football but being addicted to watching the NFL. For the strength I actually used the strength ratings from this years madden game along with a lot of tweaking from myself and friends.
I'm not here to talk bad about other rosters by any means, I know how much work and time it takes to create a roster, but some rosters have moran norris a fb on he 49ers at 93 strength but larry allen at 73 come on, then you're going to say he bench pressed 225 x amount of times at the combine. Larry Allen bench pressed over 700lbs, and to be honest I don't think benching equals a players overall strength. Think about squats, seated rows, shoulders and I can actually go on forever. If you think about it, the combine is great, but for strength i think it serves almost no purpose, a guide some what, but reps equaling overall strength no chance. I have about 7 guys in our season (of course with the 2007 schedule) and using my settings with these rosters the game play is the best I have seen. I have tried just about all the settings and rosters on this site, puja's as well. I also have went through and changed each teams shoes to match as they do in real life, as well as looked up photos from this year to give each player a revolution helmet or standard helmet and their actual face mask, skin tones as well. This really makes the game look and feel more realistic. Each team is about 80 to 90% accurate on the masks and helmets, height and weight are 100% accurate. I also went through each team and set their actual height and weight according to NFL.com. Player size models go as follows under 205lbs and over 6'' skinny frame, normal frame up to 270lbs, those above 270lbs are large, and anything over 315lbs get the the beefy extra large. There were also some exceptions through out the process.
First off the Quarterback. For this position we used the large att's on some categories. Our QB speed and agility starts around 40 going to around 80 on a few players but mainly is around the mid 40's. This allow you to roll out if needed but still get chased down by the d-line. Pass read coverage starts at 90 going up to the elite at 127, this allows the Qb's to shred the wrong coverage and schemes. Pass arm strength and accuracy we scaled starting at 60 to 100. Hold on to ball for all Qb's is at 1, which makes somewhat frequent fumbles on sacks about 1 to each 12 to 20 sacks. Another key in making my Qb's look and player more realistic was giving the hb's a minimum of 60 catch and run route, fb's got a min of 55 in each. I can not believe how much this made a difference. The qb dumps the ball of a lot, just like how they check down to backs in the league.
For our other positions such as running back, the run route and catch is huge. Speed, agility, jumping, strength are obvious, run and pass blocking are at 49 and 45. My break tackle goes hand in hand with my settings.
Tight Ends and Wide Receiver's unique att's are the run route. Allowing the wide out to range from 80 to 120 really allow the standouts to I guess stand out in their route running ability. This was a big deal to give this area the larger att's, It didn't really effect the overall rating but it definitley effects the player. Their run and pass blocking were all went through as well as break tackle and other areas.
The O-Line was tough, how can you tell (other than the obvious great players) if a guy is 2 or 3 clicks better than another in each field. So for this we actually used this years madden ratings and then decreased them by 10%, along with a very few tweaks of our own.
For the defense, the pass rush att we used a scale to keep it even, It went as follows 13 and up sacks gets 115 pass rush, 11-12 = 110, 9-10 = 105 all he way down to 0 getting a min of 75. All other ratings are pretty cut and dry. The line backers i used the same pass rush scale but if the player did not have a sack they got 70 as a minimum. Coverage for the lb's had a scale of 65-85.
The defensive back ratings that are key are the coverage we used a 120 max to 80 min for this on cornerbacks. FS and SS start around 70 to 95. My tackling goes with my settings as well as for all our players. The other ratings were all looked at, then debated and then adjusted to the proper setting.
Kickers main att was giving them a ton of accuracy too many times a kicker was missing 3 or 4 attempts a game so we used a scale but set the min around 100.
In the end a massive amount of work was put into these rosters all for the enjoyment of not only ourselves, but in the end getting them out there to you guys to enjoy. I know there are good rosters out there such as dan's, daflyboys and puja's but these rosters (not to say the others are'nt from former football players and video game lifer's) but both with a common ground and that is making this game last until we want it to end. In my opinion there is no other game even close to 2k5 and thats why we all dedicated about 4 months of our lives to create in my opinion the best roster and settings around. I hope those of that try this enjoy, and those that do not that's fine to, as long as yo keep the playing this great game no matter what roster set you use. any questions you can email me a [email protected] or through this site. feedback would be appreciated as well. below is our rosters along with a franchise file and the 2007 schedule with our settings. You can bet our new rosters will be out as soon as the draft is over, and we will also post updates at the start of each month. We have not had any bugs or slow sim times as well. the NFL0708fr is the roster file. thanks for your time. josh

:headbang2

FlyingFinn 12-29-2007 02:29 PM

Re: JSOU'S Official 2007-2008 NFL Rosters and Settings w/ a franchise file.

Just an FYI and you may already know this but ratings in NFL 2k5 are position specific. 93 strength for a FB means he is one of strongest FBs, not that he is stronger then a 73 strength lineman.

As for roster work... I will be sure to check them out when I get some time to play. :woot:

jsou4646 12-29-2007 02:40 PM

thanks for the info finn

puja21 12-29-2007 02:45 PM

beat me to the punch, Finn.

Josh-- havent run these yet but just wanted to say it sounds great & looks like you've put a ton of time & effort into putting out the best roster you can

let me be the first to say thanks, congrats, & welcome

jsou4646 12-29-2007 06:00 PM

thanks means alot

madden_killa 12-30-2007 07:53 PM

thanx for all the time and effort you put into this roster jsou! :y220e:
it takes awhile to get the roster's right.. good lukin out homie! time to play :cavalry:

jsou4646 12-30-2007 08:11 PM

have fun, we really like em, depending on your gaming ability you may need to tweak the settings. If you stick with it they play great, for us were all good 2k players but not great. For someone who is just learning the game (not to say you are) turning the passing up by 3 clicks should help until that player gets used to it. next years rosters will be even deeper if possible. thanks for the feedback. josh :headbang2

TSOLEliot 12-31-2007 05:55 PM

Thanks You!

Tried out the franchise file on the 360....had to tweak gameplay to slow and about 6 minutes (I tend to rush my plays and let the computer choose...)

Very competitive games....I like the computer's running game...just wrapped up the Pack versus the Iggles....and Grant was a load to tackle....Nice work.....