Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator (/forums/showthread.php?t=234056)

Domino606 01-08-2008 06:03 PM

49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

I can clearly see the need for a spark for the offense, but this is ridiculous. He's a decent coordinator, but now this is how 4th OC in 4 Years. That's plain stupid. How do you expect somebody to develop when you are working under somebody new every year. Now that Alex Smith needs to earn his job, it may even be harder on him. That's not really an excuse but still. I personally don't think we have the power to run Mike Martz style of offense. We don't have the WR to do it. Mike Martz never really uses his TE, and lately we have discovered how to get Vernon Davis the ball in a few games this year. Frank Gore had over 60 less touches this year then last year. The O-Line isn't really that good. Unless we get a power horse at WR. I don't see the point. I like Mike Martz and all and really hopes it works out, but I'm a little cautious until draft day or unless we can get a good WR. D-Jax ain't cutting it, and Lelie is terrible. Battle is a #2 WR at best.

GeePee20 01-08-2008 06:15 PM

Re: 49eres Hire Mike Martz As Offensive Coordinator

Yea it sucks to have 4 OCs in 4 years but Norv Turner left for a head coaching job. Niners had no control over that. And then there is no way you could keep Hostler after his horrible playcalling.

Martz is an upgrade over Hostler. He isn't stupid and I don't think he's ever had a TE like Vernon Davis. He knows Vernon Davis and Frank Gore are the strengths of this offense he will certainly use them that way. Also, I'm not saying Frank Gore is like Marshall Faulk but Faulk was very successful under Martz both on the ground and receiving.

Let's give him a chance.

GSW 01-08-2008 06:19 PM

this will be interesting...

The 24th Letter 01-08-2008 06:21 PM

good hire!

The C 01-08-2008 06:57 PM

How is San Fran's line at pass blocking? If they aren't any good Alex Smith might get killed.

SkinsBoYee 01-08-2008 07:04 PM

I think Smith should talk to Kitna and see what he has to think about that offense. Hopeully Kitna is able to talk after scrapping himself off the turf....

Martz's system might have worked in the most pristine conditions such as the when he was with the Rams. I think it is fair to say, those conditions will not be matched in San Fran.

ZM Punk 01-08-2008 07:06 PM

They better get a new QB if Martz wants his offense to work in San Fran. Smith had trouble making good decisions in the West Coast offense now there expecting him to run a pass heavy offense. Just don't see this working out very well in San Fran.

GSW 01-08-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The C (Post 2038041316)
How is San Fran's line at pass blocking?.

well.. as long as we Keep Kwame harris off of it... its good by default