Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The Option (/forums/showthread.php?t=236438)

marktg30 01-29-2008 10:14 PM

The Option

Ok, I live and die with the Option. I am just curious how many of you guys do the same. I would say I call the option about 75-80% of the time.

Bamboospine1998 01-30-2008 11:13 AM

Re: The Option

I like to use teams that have an option playbook in exibition games, especially with the historic teams, but when I get my dynasty going with Maryland or FAU I really don't use it much. It I have a QB with some speed, I will use it maybe twice a game just to mix it up.

marktg30 01-30-2008 08:16 PM

I just dont want to feel like I am the only one.

I don't know the percentage, but I remember watching Nebraska back in the day (which was a Wednesday, by the way).... and i swear, that was all they did!

Soonerd2 01-31-2008 05:54 PM

I feel like the option is almost cheating its so easy to break long runs with it.

3rd and 1 or inches. If you run the goaline formation, reverse triple option, there is a good chance that this play will go for a TD if you let the corners shift in to cover the TE's.

But I only know that because I ran the hell out of the option.

marktg30 01-31-2008 08:57 PM

Yeah, I feel like I am cheating too... but I cant help thinking "if the CPU can't stop me, it's their problem"...

Bamboospine1998 01-31-2008 10:25 PM

I usually play the heck out of the game when it comes out, then as it gets into the winter I try playing it different ways, like bad team dynasty or coach mode. In coach mode I like the option because I try to control only the FB if I hand it to him at the line, or the QB. If I pitch then I take my hand off the control and let the HB run with the CPU. Seems to be a bit more realistic in runs. I have never tried a full season with an option team, only a bunch of exibition games.

LionsFanNJ 02-01-2008 08:23 PM

I'm with you. I usually have two dynasties going and one in which i make a team an option team, usually one with a mobile QB on roster

granvilleberry 02-06-2008 02:38 PM

I wish it wasn't, but I do think that more often than not the option (especially out of the I or variations of the I) game is very flawed. The reason being that nobody will ever cover the pitch-man. In reality, and not in video-game land, the pitchman is usually taken by a safety while the qb is picked up by the w or s linebacker. Sometimes it's the mlb on the qb and the outsider backer on the tailback. Even when the d playcalling isn't set up to stop the option or isn't running some sort of spy, the d will recognize the play and adjust accordingly. This is where EA fails spectacularly. The d on NCAA will not adjust. Most of the time everyone will key in on the qb, with the exception of the corners if they're in zone. When you actually call the appropriate play on d, the pitch-man will shift to the qb at the last second and (with the qb's unreal ability to morph into Jamelle Holloway or Tommy Frazier) the qb will/can pitch the ball while being tackled. Then, touchdown. So, to sum it up, it's a bit of a stretch to run the option all game long and think that you're not doing something a little shady (VERY shady if it's online).