Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   help with importing (/forums/showthread.php?t=242274)

dophin26 03-10-2008 01:49 PM

help with importing

Hey guys, I searched this, but am getting fatal errors...

So I was just about done with my '84 franchise (the roster itself has been finished) and as I was playing with some salaries in-game, I froze. I did some stuff and then tried a game and froze again. I cried for a couple minutes and then cowboy-ed up and decided to use the export/import in the editor (thanks Finn) and everything worked out well EXCEPT when messing around later I found none of the "year pro" copied over correctly. I tried again on a dummy roster and found that it wasn't a one-time deal. They just don't copy over.

So now the question- is there a quicker way to change over all the years than going through one by one, or is that what I'm going to have to do? I printed them all out so I can do it that way, but if there is an easier way, I'd rather go that route. I still have the base roster with everything correct if that helps.

On a side note- I've started testing a franchise (with Dolphins) and it has been fun so far. Miami got blown out by Washington the first game as their porous line couldn't contain Riggins (like the '82 Superbowl) and I lost 52-24. The second game I took revenge and blew out New England 51-24. Eason lit me up for 400 yards (couldn't stop Stanley Morgan), but they were no match for Marino. I hit 10 different receivers and 4 RBs carried the ball evenly.

FlyingFinn 03-10-2008 04:52 PM

Re: help with importing

Quote:

Originally Posted by dophin26 (Post 2038212671)
Hey guys, I searched this, but am getting fatal errors...

So I was just about done with my '84 franchise (the roster itself has been finished) and as I was playing with some salaries in-game, I froze. I did some stuff and then tried a game and froze again. I cried for a couple minutes and then cowboy-ed up and decided to use the export/import in the editor (thanks Finn) and everything worked out well EXCEPT when messing around later I found none of the "year pro" copied over correctly. I tried again on a dummy roster and found that it wasn't a one-time deal. They just don't copy over.

So now the question- is there a quicker way to change over all the years than going through one by one, or is that what I'm going to have to do? I printed them all out so I can do it that way, but if there is an easier way, I'd rather go that route. I still have the base roster with everything correct if that helps.

On a side note- I've started testing a franchise (with Dolphins) and it has been fun so far. Miami got blown out by Washington the first game as their porous line couldn't contain Riggins (like the '82 Superbowl) and I lost 52-24. The second game I took revenge and blew out New England 51-24. Eason lit me up for 400 yards (couldn't stop Stanley Morgan), but they were no match for Marino. I hit 10 different receivers and 4 RBs carried the ball evenly.

Back up the player data from original roster file and restore the years pro into franchise file.

Open the roster file and choose Tools | Backup player data.

Open the franchise file and choose Tools | Restore play data.

Match on everything that is the same about players in both files and check Years Pro in the restore options.

FlyingFinn 03-10-2008 04:54 PM

As a side note.. I think puja determined messing with contracts in a franchise file will cause freezing. I will most likely disable it in the next release.

puja21 03-10-2008 04:55 PM

^no no

check your email finn... sent you one about a month (?) ago

contracts= perfecto. i was actually hoping you could expand on it

it's basically the same as the IR tool... you have to be liberal in your saving & work in small batches. the only freezing that hit me was when changing 100+ contracts b/w saves. i have since reworked over 1000 contracts using the tool w/o any problems

FlyingFinn 03-10-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puja21 (Post 2038213260)
^no no

check your email finn... sent you one about a month (?) ago

contracts= perfecto. i was actually hoping you could expand on it

it's basically the same as the IR tool... you have to be liberal in your saving & work in small batches. the only freezing that hit me was when changing 100+ contracts b/w saves. i have since reworked over 1000 contracts using the tool w/o any problems

In a franchise file? or just in your roster file?

dophin26 03-10-2008 05:08 PM

Done. Thanks!

The salaries I was messing with were all in-game, not through the editor. I think I just had a bad file. I've since updated to VC's final roster as a base file.

puja21 03-11-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn (Post 2038213279)
In a franchise file? or just in your roster file?

i edited all 1000 using your tool when the file was a roster, prior to starting the franchise... then i used that file to start my franchise w/ no problems. i still dont think contracts can be edited during an in-progress franchise b/c of the cap penalty issues (didnt even bother experimenting w/ this), but i am confident that the tool has no problems when used in roster

that's why i sent you the email seeing if we could get two changes for this offseason:
1) the ability to advance all contracts instantly by 1-year in the editor (unless they are one-year deals to begin with of course... there would have to be a filter to stop those from advancing)
^that way, roster-makers don't have to re-address all 1800+ contracts every season... the only contracts we have to edit every year are the players who had expiring contracts & any others who sign new deals. although i have a list of all 1-year deals in my own files, it would obviously be great if we could see the contract lengths/details exported to excel like we can w/ the other info

2) less important, but doable i think; it would be awesome if you could change it so the tool actually accounts for the difference between contract years & years remaining.

for example, say i look up someone & see that they signed a 7 year deal for X million w/ Y bonus prior to the 2004 season. as it stands now, before i can add this contract to the game i have to first run a formula in excel to figure out how much base salary & bonus is left on the deal in 2008 (b/c 4 years have been already consumed; 2004, 05, 06, 07... so 3 years are remaining)

if this feature was added, however, then ideally i could just enter those day-1 terms of the contract & enter "3" for "years remaining", & then the tool would work out the remaining value on the deal for me based on whatever structure we select (for me pretty much always ascending or backloaded)
^does that make sense?

dophin26 03-11-2008 01:52 PM

Speaking of changes, I know football season is over, but are you still working on the renaming coaches thing? I have 1984 almost set to go and I did do the coaches, so should I hold off a little bit or get ready to release?