Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Football Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Doug Flutie, "Pinball" Clemons and Mike Pringle top '08 CFL HOF class (/forums/showthread.php?t=245160)

SPTO 04-02-2008 01:06 PM

Doug Flutie, "Pinball" Clemons and Mike Pringle top '08 CFL HOF class

CFL.Ca article

Sheesh this makes me feel old. I vividly remember seeing these guys play in the CFL and they were all great players in their own right.

Flutie was well, Flutie. The guy showed that a little guy can have the hustle and heart to make it in pro football and interestingly enough for most of his career he called his own plays. He also showed that the CFL isn't just a bunch of fast little guys as he made an impact in the NFL after playing so many years in the CFL.

Mike "Pinball" Clemons was for many years the East version of Henry "Gizmo" Williams even though he was even smaller then most other CFL'ers. The guy was not only a great punt/kick returner but he was a durable and entertaining running back

Mike Pringle was a sturdy and reliable player in the CFL almost from the start. The guy holds the record for most yards by a RB in the CFL with 16,425 and when he retired held the record for most TDs ever with 137 which was only recently surpassed by a soon to be HOF'er in Milt Stegall. Pringle also holds the single season rushing record with 2,065 yards. I know those numbers look small to those that follow the NFL but those are huge numbers for a league where the offense is dominated by QB/WR/SB play.

MassNole 04-02-2008 02:26 PM

Re: Doug Flutie, "Pinball" Clemons and Mike Pringle top '08 CFL HOF class

For some reason I thought Flutie was already in the CFL HOF.

SPTO, do you think former FSU QB Danny McManus will eventually make it into the CFL HOF as well? It seems as if he had a long career up there and did some good things.

SPTO 04-02-2008 02:29 PM

I don't have his numbers in front of me but Danny Mac had some very good years in the CFL but I think his last 2-3 years will tarnish his rep a bit as he didn't exactly put up stellar numbers, then again he was playing for pretty bad teams.

He'll probably make it but it'll take 10 years or so for him.

pb4201 04-09-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2038265288)
CFL.Ca article

Sheesh this makes me feel old. I vividly remember seeing these guys play in the CFL and they were all great players in their own right.

Flutie was well, Flutie. The guy showed that a little guy can have the hustle and heart to make it in pro football and interestingly enough for most of his career he called his own plays. He also showed that the CFL isn't just a bunch of fast little guys as he made an impact in the NFL after playing so many years in the CFL.

Mike "Pinball" Clemons was for many years the East version of Henry "Gizmo" Williams even though he was even smaller then most other CFL'ers. The guy was not only a great punt/kick returner but he was a durable and entertaining running back

Mike Pringle was a sturdy and reliable player in the CFL almost from the start. The guy holds the record for most yards by a RB in the CFL with 16,425 and when he retired held the record for most TDs ever with 137 which was only recently surpassed by a soon to be HOF'er in Milt Stegall. Pringle also holds the single season rushing record with 2,065 yards. I know those numbers look small to those that follow the NFL but those are huge numbers for a league where the offense is dominated by QB/WR/SB play.

I remember watching and being amazed by the talents of Mike Pringle when he played for the old Baltimore CFL Colts!