Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Text Sims: Making the Jump from Niche to Mainstream (/forums/showthread.php?t=248840)

RaychelSnr 05-09-2008 12:01 PM

Text Sims: Making the Jump from Niche to Mainstream

Carlos Hernandez (aka YankeePride here at OS) makes his rookie debut on the writing staff by looking at the future of text sims and how they are just now finally making their way into the mainstream. Check out his article here.

Quote:

"When "casual" gamers hear the words "text-sim" their thoughts immediately search for an understanding of the text-sim sports gaming genre. Most of the time, their research leads them astray. The interesting aspects of a text-simulation are left undiscovered as the "casual" gamer overlooks the genres depth concentrating only on its lack of graphical representation."

djcorrosive 05-09-2008 06:22 PM

I just recently "discovered" text sims and I'm hooked. I've been playing OOTPB just as much as the Show. Neither of the two games are replacements for each other, but it's great having the options that the text sims bring, alnong with the graphics and gameplay of console games.

LiquidCrash 05-09-2008 09:15 PM

Re: Text Sims: Making the Jump from Niche to Mainstream

Good article.

I'm a big fan of text sims. I got into OOTP a few years back and now have added Front Office Football and Bowl Bound College Football and have really enjoyed all three. I still favor OOTP since I find it to be the highest quality of that group, and since I feel baseball is more conducive to text simulation than other sports.

I'm not sure we'll ever see the day that text games are top sellers compared to traditional games, but it's nice to see some aspects of text sims being incorporated into other games. I know I've been frustrated by the sim engine in quite a few games so it would be great if we could get those issues sorted out.

LingeringRegime 05-09-2008 09:16 PM

Textsims are great. I relate to you djcorrosive, that is what I do as well. The amount of customization is unlimited and I love being able to look back in the history books. I really hope that someone will roll the dice with these types of games for the next-gen consoles.

CMH 05-12-2008 07:06 PM

Text-sims may never be top sellers like console sports games but the appeal is growing.

It would definitely help top sports titles to use text-sim engines to improve their statistics. If they could go even deeper to include the depth of those games then gamers will be very happy.

umd 05-12-2008 07:36 PM

Re: Text Sims: Making the Jump from Niche to Mainstream

great article.

burnshroom 05-12-2008 08:21 PM

Been a text sim fan for a long time. Have played Front Office Football as well as Out of the Park. One aspect of textsims is that they offer the ability to participate in interactive online leagues for that sport. One of (if not) the first basketball text sims was (the now defunct) Jumpshot basketball and there is am (if not a few) online league that I participate in (IJBL.net) that is years going strong.

Something you cannot really do with non text sims (at least not basketball).