Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   The Sexiness of Text Simulations (/forums/showthread.php?t=250445)

RaychelSnr 05-27-2008 11:53 AM

The Sexiness of Text Simulations

The resident Operation Sports staff text-sim aficionado, Tim Martin, checks in today with an article that discusses why text simulations are so appealing and why you should give them a look as well. Check out his article by clicking here.
Quote:

"As a 20-year-old intern in the unfamiliar city of Cleveland during the summer of 2004 I found myself with no friends, no family, and most regrettably, no fake ID. So, it was during that summer in the city famous for a flaming river and Jerry Springer that I fell in love with a computer text simulation game."

plasticbeast 05-27-2008 12:20 PM

Re: The Sexiness of Text Simulations

Best article released since the "new" OS. It's actually not a glorified forum post.

Nice read Tim. I just wish there were more text sims... or more companies willing to try that genre of sports gaming. I am waiting for the 1st "real" text sim to provide some sort of graphical engine to watch the games.

LingeringRegime 05-27-2008 01:21 PM

Nice write up. It's amazing to me with all the high speed processing power, and what not, text sims have much more to give in terms of content. 2K should make a text sim.

bateman11 05-27-2008 02:21 PM

OS should start an NBA sim league damnit.

thegoons21 05-27-2008 02:45 PM

Great article. SI games' FM 08 is highly addictive and you get quite attached to the teams you "build." I just wish they could advance to the point of somehow allowing you to watch the results of the match/game as opposed to reading the game as it goes on. I'd still like to watch a game like a real GM would, not the equivalent of reading it in the paper the next day. To put in a FIFA or PES or Madden type engine (for watching purposes only) with the option of still doing the text/read the match thing would advance the immersion in these type of games a lot.

philliesfan980 05-27-2008 03:03 PM

Like everyone else already said - great article! I've been pretty much playing text sims exclusively for the past 5 or 6 years. I haven't been here as much lately (I joined in 2002), because of the lack of text sim discussions, but it looks like more and more people are becoming interested in the text sim market, which is a great thing.

As far as the lack of graphics in text sims, I don't know if thats a bad thing. First off, you have to remember that many of these companies have limited resources in terms of manpower. If the developers spent their time implementing play by play graphics, it might take away from the overall game engine, which I don't think many of us would want to see.

Also, one of the main benefits to text sims is the speed which you can play a season. In most of my games, I can get through 2-3 games an hour, whereas if they had graphics, it might take 2 hours to get through a game.

plasticbeast 05-27-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bateman11 (Post 2038382896)
OS should start an NBA sim league damnit.

What text sim would you use? Draft Day Pro Basketball is the only pro bball sim I know of, but I have never played it. So I don't know how good it is.

ehh 05-27-2008 03:36 PM

Nice article, it's only a matter of time before I get into text sims.