Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Making the Jump to a PS3 and The Show (/forums/showthread.php?t=251630)

RaychelSnr 06-07-2008 12:27 PM

Making the Jump to a PS3 and The Show

Caley Roark has penned an article discussing his experiences with MLB '08: The Show and his new PS3 which were both bought thanks to the government's free stimulus handouts. Be sure to check out his article, Making the Jump to a PS3 and The Show.
Quote:

"Sometimes things just go your way: the planets align, fate smiles, and the ball takes a lucky bounce. Such was the case for me last week. The combination of a government stimulus check, a sweet deal from Walmart , approval for a Sony credit card, and catching my wife on a good day allowed me to purchase a PS3. I wasn't looking for a new system: I've owned the Xbox 360 since launch, and we got a Wii for Christmas. Mainly, since the format war ended, I've been itching for a BlueRay player. My wife mocks my self-given title of "early adopter."

dodgerblue 06-07-2008 12:46 PM

"i think many would agree that 2k8 is the worst game of 2k's baseball line up"

2k6 is much worse imo. But there is no question 2k8 is a disappointment after it looked like 2k7 was so close. Because of what is going on with 2k now, it looks like the show is the only logical choice for next year.

RaychelSnr 06-07-2008 01:35 PM

2k6 was atrocious for sure....I'd say at this point, 2k8 was the most disappointing game this year thus far (especially since I named it as such). Really, the hype surrounding the game had most expecting it to be able to compete with The Show, instead it wasn't even close. I think, if anything, it shows just how bad exclusive licenses suck :(

dodgerblue 06-07-2008 01:44 PM

Re: Making the Jump to a PS3 and The Show

Yep. Couldn't agree more about the exclusive license comment. Instead of improving their games to compete, EA (football) and 2k (baseball) bought the rights. So in the end, the company that was weakest in making the games became the only choice. Thankfully sony gives everyone with a ps3 an option and madden seems to be improving.

on another note, crazy weather in the plains, amazing avatar.

RaychelSnr 06-07-2008 01:48 PM

Yeah, I don't know if you can really equate 2k's failure to just the exclusive license though. I think a lot of it really has to do with just poor design all around and poor development cycle management which includes QA. That is the same thing that I believe has hampered Madden the past few years. Madden last year would have been a pretty good game sans the bugs that were shipped with it. It just amazes me how some games can ship with certain bugs, the bugs in MLB 2k8 are of no exception.

Hammerhunker 06-07-2008 02:20 PM

Re: Making the Jump to a PS3 and The Show

I need to emphasize the comment on 2k7 showing promise...it sure did, post patch. What in the heck happened? Ben Brinkman should be ashamed of himself for putting his name front and center with this game's current state. Listening to his interviews he made this game sound as if it had truly arrived. I feel it is no better than one of the old unlicensed hack games that came out on the old PS1.

The thesis of this article has been well documented throughout these boards. Most people that have purchased a PS3 with only the Show in mind have definitely not been disappointed with the purchase.

Good article.

CPRoark 06-07-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgerblue (Post 2038408273)
"i think many would agree that 2k8 is the worst game of 2k's baseball line up"

2k6 is much worse imo. But there is no question 2k8 is a disappointment after it looked like 2k7 was so close. Because of what is going on with 2k now, it looks like the show is the only logical choice for next year.

Dodgerblue,

You are right, 2k6 was probably worse. I meant 2k8 is the worst game in 2k's current lineup, including The Bigs and PowerPros.

However, I agree that 2k8 was probably the most disappointing.

bigwill33 06-07-2008 04:01 PM

Good article, I too wish I could have got this game, but could not justify purchasing a whole other system just yet.

Funny how I took so much heat for disliking 2k and now it is pretty widely disliked.