Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty (/forums/showthread.php?t=258566)

t3g 07-26-2008 10:56 PM

FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

When I first tried out the online dynasty with Florida State, I noticed that only two changes were made to my school: Academics went from Very Good to Good and Program Stability from Excellent to Elite. I know some people think that it went down because of the academic scandal with the players, but I believe it is for the school overall.

I remained puzzled until I remembered the state wide budget cuts for all the schools like UF, FSU, and USF. UF got the most taken away with $40 mil but they are still considered Excellent for academics even if their ranking went down in US News. Since I graduated in Fall 2007 and the cuts did not happen until Spring 2008, thankfully I got out before things got worse. Even if my last semester, I saw money dwindle for the student organizations where many had to resort to fundraisers.

So I came across a story at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4239633.shtml which sums it up. Here are some quotes from the article that explain it:

Quote:

"We've come up with several ways to reduce expenses," said FSU English Department Chair Ralph Berry. "We've eliminated office telephones for all of our TAs and for about one-third of our faculty and we've begun to ration paper and photocopying."
Quote:

"As FSU students are painfully aware, Florida provides fewer professors for its college students than any other state. Even much poorer states such as Louisiana and South Dakota hire enough professors to offer moderate-sized upper-division college classes, but Florida's political leadership has since the early '90s been growing its university enrollments faster than its university faculties.
Quote:

Next year we expect to implement them. And, of course, all of our faculty hiring has been eliminated, which means that we have about 10 percent fewer faculty than we had 18 months ago, reducing our salary budget substantially."
In other words, it sucks being a teacher (who are underpaid anyways) in an economy heading for a recession and where a standard college degree doesn't mean jack.

Of course FSU is willing to pay Jimbo Fisher over $500k who I think is still unproven and spend a boat load of money renovating the scoreboards in Doak. I know there are different budgets but it sucks when the actual students suffer as they overpay coaches.

xxjgbxx 07-26-2008 10:58 PM

Re: FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

those students arent bringing in the money that the football team does when they do well/win

t3g 07-26-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxjgbxx (Post 2038542349)
those students arent bringing in the money that the football team does when they do well/win

Like I said before, UF got cut $40 million while FSU was around $32 million. And if you have forgotten, UF has been doing very well as of late in football and basketball so that isn't the problem.

Sublime12089 07-27-2008 12:02 AM

yea I go to USF and its bull**** the way our budgets are being cut. Howwever meanwhile while we are talking about cutting programs they build a brand new state of the art ROTC building even though their old one was perfectly fine. Not a single one of my 4 colleges has a ****ing building either. The governments priorities are completely ****ed esp in Florida. I can tell you though that I am going elsewhere for grad school, if i didnt have school paid by bright futures i would transfer after this year, as I am only a soph.

HoosierHoo 07-27-2008 12:26 AM

The fact that 40 of your players flunked out and were ineligible for the bowl game might have had SOMETHING to do with it too. ;)

UVa2009 07-27-2008 01:02 AM

Sorry, but FSU shouldn't be considered very good in regards to academics. I consider academics there a joke, but I guess that is all relative.

slickzeus 07-27-2008 01:24 AM

yeah i dont know how fsu got the very good rating in the first place....i guess just another thing that can be added to the list of EA blunders... dont worry noles fans, im just another canes fan busting your balls

guitar4468 07-27-2008 01:26 AM

first off, fsu only pays the coaches between 60k and 230k or whatever the max an employee in the state of florida can get. The rest of it is being paid by the boosters. So fsu is not paying Jimbo 500k, more like 115 or something like that. That is less then some of teachers i had made at fsu. Bobby only gets paid 230k from fsu and the rest from the boosters. So its the boosters paying for those high salaries, there is no way the schools could afford it. The boosters are also paying for the renovations to he stadium and for the indoor practice facility. Anyways it has nothing to do with the schools budget, it has to do with how much the boosters are willing to pay.

By the way, for schools like fsu and uf teachers get paid more for the research they do then the teaching. The teachers that dont do any research do not get paid nearly as much.

Second UAV2009 you are hating on your founders grandsons school. Fsu like many other schools excels in many things and has some things they are not great in. To name a few chemistry, business, and law school to name a few. Sure there are places it can improve like engineering and journalism, but i would not say they are crap. Fsu can have a journalism school because FAMU has one and there is some rule stating that you cant have two in the same city. Anyways just putting it out there.