Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!??? (/forums/showthread.php?t=260049)

sportyguyfl31 08-04-2008 08:49 AM

WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!???

This is actually my biggest gripe about the game, believe it or not.,

This bugs me more then any other aspect of the game. EVERY team is programmed to play exactly the same way, regardless of personnel and situation.

Not EVERY team in college football runs this offense!!! They certainly do not run QB choice plays with 65 speed QBs..and they definetly do not do it on 3rd and long, or late in the game down 2 posessions in a 2 minute drill.

BYU doesnt run the spread option! Mark Sanchez doesnt run QB keepers!!

I'm positive Rich Rodriguez wouldnt substitute a WR that is SLOWER then any of his RB's into the backfield for an option option play.

There is no difference between playing Temple, Idaho, USF, UAB, TCU, USC, UF, Ohio State, whatever..other then how good the players are. They all play EXACTLY the same

slickkill77 08-04-2008 09:15 AM

Re: WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!???

You can thank EA for never updating the playbooks. USF has had the same playbook for about 4 years now even though they have added a few formations to their playbook such as a 3 rb set.

SidVish 08-04-2008 09:26 AM

I agree and it gets really stale to watch any team you are up against play almost identically to each other. That's just one of the many issues I had with this game. I rented this game for a week, took it back and have no desire to play it again unless I read some great things about the gameplay patch on OS. I'm not holding my breath though. Maybe next year they'll get it right. ;)

J-Unit40 08-04-2008 09:33 AM

This is my biggest annoyance with the game right now. So frustrating to have a team with a solid tailback or even two good tailbacks and the QB decides he wants to run the ball 12 times in a game. So annoying because it's easy to shutdown when the QB has a 68 rating for speed.

It's one thing if Tebow, White, Locker and company are keeping the ball and taking off, but these molasses QBs are hilarious.

I think I'll have to change all of the playbooks (Dynasty mode only) to reflect the actual offense a running team or balanced team runs. I already had to do this with WVU because Pat White was only getting about 5 carries a game and Devine was getting 30 carries. :google:

grunt 08-04-2008 09:37 AM

is therre a work around?

JoeDog10 08-04-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Unit40 (Post 2038567404)
This is my biggest annoyance with the game right now. So frustrating to have a team with a solid tailback or even two good tailbacks and the QB decides he wants to run the ball 12 times in a game. So annoying because it's easy to shutdown when the QB has a 68 rating for speed.

It's one thing if Tebow, White, Locker and company are keeping the ball and taking off, but these molasses QBs are hilarious.

I think I'll have to change all of the playbooks (Dynasty mode only) to reflect the actual offense a running team or balanced team runs. I already had to do this with WVU because Pat White was only getting about 5 carries a game and Devine was getting 30 carries. :google:

J-Unit,

When you changed WVU's playbook, did their playing style follow suit? Were you seeing Pat White get more carries?

It would be a pain to change the playbook for every team, but well worth it in my opinion if it will make these teams play closer to their real life counterparts.

sportyguyfl31 08-04-2008 10:14 AM

Can you edit team playbooks, and have them carry over to dynasty without causing any problems?

I've been holding off doing any editing to teams until the 1st patch drops.

Jistic 08-04-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31 (Post 2038567482)
Can you edit team playbooks, and have them carry over to dynasty without causing any problems?

I've been holding off doing any editing to teams until the 1st patch drops.

I edit them in dynasty, but they'll revert on the main game screen. You have to choose it for them again. I also think you MAY have to start the game as the CPU and then switch sides after kickoff, but that's not confirmed yet.

The playbooks actually have taken a step back. But again, they're all the same. The plays are all from "EA Football Build ver 1.42a" they are the same plays for every team, no matter the formation, and they are the same plays in the Madden demo.

Know one playbook, know 'em all.

This is one of the single biggest reason's for the lack of deep ball or a stubborn CPU running game.

I have however had some luck switcing the CPU to "West Coast" playbook.

Also IOWA has a very solid "traditional" running playbook.

For all the improvements in the game, EA should be flat embarrassed for the playbooks on both their titles this year. Maybe that's why they want you to buy Head Coach to make your own? Doesn't help us for NCAA however.

BhamTiger 08-04-2008 10:49 AM

I'll have to try this in my CPU vs CPU dynasty. I noticed in some games last night that teams that have no business running their QB did so too many times, usually for a loss or a 1 yard gain, which of course hurt their overall rushing yards.

This game takes me back to the days gone by when the human team routinely had the nation's best rushing defense and worst passing defense. :nono:

sportyguyfl31 08-04-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jistic (Post 2038567535)
I edit them in dynasty, but they'll revert on the main game screen. You have to choose it for them again. I also think you MAY have to start the game as the CPU and then switch sides after kickoff, but that's not confirmed yet.

The playbooks actually have taken a step back. But again, they're all the same. The plays are all from "EA Football Build ver 1.42a" they are the same plays for every team, no matter the formation, and they are the same plays in the Madden demo.

Know one playbook, know 'em all.

This is one of the single biggest reason's for the lack of deep ball or a stubborn CPU running game.

I have however had some luck switcing the CPU to "West Coast" playbook.

Also IOWA has a very solid "traditional" running playbook.

For all the improvements in the game, EA should be flat embarrassed for the playbooks on both their titles this year. Maybe that's why they want you to buy Head Coach to make your own? Doesn't help us for NCAA however.

I'll have to try this then. Thanks!!

KG 08-04-2008 01:53 PM

OP couldn't be more right. It's one of the things that have been killing this game for a while now. It helps to make the game increasingly stale.

It's not only the playbooks but the computer AI.

For example:

I'm playing Florida and Tebow gets hurt. His backup who is much slower than he is comes in and they're running the same exact plays that they would run for Tebow. Urban Meyer or any sane coach would not run a QB draw with a QB under 65 speed. As a result I'm hanging in there with a vastly inferior team. Come to think about it, I can't remember the last time I lost to Florida in NCAA. Playbooks with designed QB keepers are really easy to stop.

J-Unit40 08-04-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgx2thez (Post 2038568033)
OP couldn't be more right. It's one of the things that have been killing this game for a while now. It helps to make the game increasingly stale.

It's not only the playbooks but the computer AI.

For example:

I'm playing Florida and Tebow gets hurt. His backup who is much slower than he is comes in and they're running the same exact plays that they would run for Tebow. Urban Meyer or any sane coach would not run a QB draw with a QB under 65 speed. As a result I'm hanging in there with a vastly inferior team. Come to think about it, I can't remember the last time I lost to Florida in NCAA. Playbooks with designed QB keepers are really easy to stop.

Which is ridiculous because Cam Newton is more of a running QB, but EA gave Newton no respect on his running skills. I'm not saying he's a speedster, but he is a runner before he'll ever be considering a passer.

sportyguyfl31 08-04-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Unit40 (Post 2038568059)
Which is ridiculous because Cam Newton is more of a running QB, but EA gave Newton no respect on his running skills. I'm not saying he's a speedster, but he is a runner before he'll ever be considering a passer.

I actually think his speed is in the low 70's...but yeah both points are valid.

KG 08-04-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Unit40 (Post 2038568059)

It's crazy that if you play a person who is good they can kill you with Florida becuz they're playbook is crazy and their team is nice. When you play the CPU with them they are easier. That only leads to one thing.

radiohead 08-05-2008 04:01 PM

if this is true, this is just as bad the lack of a pass rush and everything else.

if it's not one thing with this game it's another.

LJay 08-05-2008 04:28 PM

thought i was the only one that noticed
and they always run it during the worst possible moments

The Chef 08-05-2008 06:58 PM

So, basically people are switching this right before they enter the game and its sticking and not reverting back to what it was set at previously? I agree with everyone else, watching slow QB's trying to run option and similar plays is ridiculous.

KOL 08-05-2008 07:02 PM

The spread is the future of college football. I mean look at Dennis Dixon last season if you could get a QB like that in any offense it would be the spread. I wouldnt be suprised that in a couple of seasons 75% of QB's think run or option before pass.

The Chef 08-05-2008 07:48 PM

Well Im playing as Oregon and Kempt is not an option to run the spread, it works in the game because the defense respects his ability to run without thinking that he is slow as hell but obviously I dont when playing a slow *** QB who does the same thing and there is the problem. Its not a game killer for me, but it would be nice to see teams use playbooks that werent such carbon copies of one another.

J.R. Locke 08-06-2008 01:37 AM

I agree with the original post. This is becoming the most depressing part of the game.

Way too many games are playing out the same with the spread option instead of being a pass attack team or more traditional.

Slow QB's that run the spread option so bad!!

stoncold32 08-06-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMet89 (Post 2038572674)
The spread is the future of college football. I mean look at Dennis Dixon last season if you could get a QB like that in any offense it would be the spread. I wouldnt be suprised that in a couple of seasons 75% of QB's think run or option before pass.

^^^ Then theres people who say stuff like this to try and act like EA is ahead of the curve. This is just bad programming plain and simple. It has nothing to do with "The future of college football." Theres no reason a pocket-passing QB with a 66 in speed should be taking off to run so frequently. I get so many tackles for a loss on 1st and 2nd down that it's not even funny. I just don't get why this was included in the logic this year when its never been so in the past.

spit_bubble 08-06-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SidVish (Post 2038567393)
I agree and it gets really stale to watch any team you are up against play almost identically to each other...

...Maybe next year they'll get it right.

:spit:

This is probably at the bottom of their list of things to do, if it's even on the list at all.

The thing is, they wouldn't even have to get every team's detail down right, just add some unique characteristics to each coach so that teams played certain ways... And make sure the AI is programmed to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.

That would be an easy step one.

And if they wanted to build on that they could have coach's characteristics adapt to the recruits they bring in...

All this may sound complicated, but like I say, if they just did the broad strokes and didn't try to get every fine detail down it could work...

But let's be realistic... It ain't happenin'. Why would they add something only a few hardcore fans care about, even if it'd do wonders for their game? :y13:

lint 08-06-2008 08:04 AM

Money says Their QA team and their testers are 2k fanboys :D

kindella2 08-06-2008 09:31 AM

its dumb...im doing a CL with Texas Tech and i have a WR and they run the ball more than anything else...dumb.

heavy_hitter 08-06-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoncold32 (Post 2038573799)
^^^ Then theres people who say stuff like this to try and act like EA is ahead of the curve. This is just bad programming plain and simple. It has nothing to do with "The future of college football." Theres no reason a pocket-passing QB with a 66 in speed should be taking off to run so frequently. I get so many tackles for a loss on 1st and 2nd down that it's not even funny. I just don't get why this was included in the logic this year when its never been so in the past.

I want to add on to your retort about FUTURE of COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

"Are you kidding me?" When is the last time a NCAA team won the MNC using the Spread Option. How about... 2000 NEVER? The Spread Option is a Gimmick offense.

Some would argue UF, but that team used more of a traditional spread rather than the spread option. Chris Leak was slinging the ball all over the field. Hell, I think he just threw another TD against the Buckeyes.

grunt 08-06-2008 11:29 AM

Flaws like this make this game an online only game. I am happy to have gamefly.

stoncold32 08-06-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koshi (Post 2038573894)
:spit:

This is probably at the bottom of their list of things to do, if it's even on the list at all.

The thing is, they wouldn't even have to get every team's detail down right, just add some unique characteristics to each coach so that teams played certain ways... And make sure the AI is programmed to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.

That would be an easy step one.

And if they wanted to build on that they could have coach's characteristics adapt to the recruits they bring in...

All this may sound complicated, but like I say, if they just did the broad strokes and didn't try to get every fine detail down it could work...

But let's be realistic... It ain't happenin'. Why would they add something only a few hardcore fans care about? Even if it'd do wonders for their game? :y13:

Heres the thing though, it's never been an issue in the past. If anything it's been that a few option based teams pass a little bit too much. But I'd take that as oppsed to a team who NEVER runs it in real life with a slow QB, and does it at the worst times.

KG 08-06-2008 12:15 PM

easy solution

give us more team sliders than just run/pass %'s

spit_bubble 08-06-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoncold32 (Post 2038574574)
Heres the thing though, it's never been an issue in the past. If anything it's been that a few option based teams pass a little bit too much...

Actually, in the past ALL teams passed too much... Because it's the same problem the series has always had. They just don't pay any attention to giving teams any type of different play styles, and only give teams different playbooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgx2thez (Post 2038574650)
easy solution

give us more team sliders than just run/pass %'s

One of a number of things they could do.

But let's just face up to it, at this point NCAA Football is nothing more than fodder... It's a romance novel... Next year they should put Fabio on the cover.

Chardon 08-06-2008 01:33 PM

I know man, i hate when im beating a team in the fourth quarter and the QB decides he is going to run right up the middle. An easy win for me but it gets annoying. They dont air it out enough.

sportyguyfl31 08-06-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMet89 (Post 2038572674)

Youre a smidge wrong. There is a difference between a "spread offense" like Oklahoma runs, and the spread option.

The spread option is really the "old" coming back again.

It is really the old Wing-T triple option offense, run from a shotgun formation. Instead of having a "wing back" and FB..you have slot recievers.

Ive always been convinced that you can still win playing option football at the highest levels of college football, provided you have the horses to get it done.

That's essentially what teams like the Gators and WVU do, they just do it from a more "modern" look, since kids dont want to play in the ol' Tom Osborne, Nebraska I-Bone anymore.

Darkeus 08-06-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavy_hitter (Post 2038574486)

Some would argue UF, but that team used more of a traditional spread rather than the spread option. Chris Leak was slinging the ball all over the field. Hell, I think he just threw another TD against the Buckeyes.

:nono:
I resent that! :)

trayeight 08-06-2008 03:43 PM

I'm not seeing this. I might see the computer run the option once or twice a game if they are not an option team, but not all day.

bkrich83 08-06-2008 04:02 PM

I played Ohio State last night, and they basically ran Wells out of the I formation and then used that to setup play action all game long. I didn't see one option run the entire game. I did see a QB draw once.

I am just not seeing it.

fistofrage 08-06-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrich83 (Post 2038575389)
I played Ohio State last night, and they basically ran Wells out of the I formation and then used that to setup play action all game long. I didn't see one option run the entire game. I did see a QB draw once.

I am just not seeing it.

Play any team that is shotgun heavy and you'll see it. Heck play Michigan, they have a guy with cement shoes trying to run it 20 times. I hope Dickrod does that in real life.

Wake is a good example too.

trayeight 08-06-2008 04:11 PM

I played Wake last night (I'm Miami), and they did run some option, but not to the point of it being ridiculous. Riley Skinner is a pretty damn good runner; he was kinda ripping me. They ran a lot of screens, short passes, and 1 back.

Tsao 08-06-2008 04:52 PM

Yeah, if you want to see this in action, just play against any team that runs a passing-focused spread offense (Purdue, Texas Tech, Hawaii, SMU, Idaho, Rice, etc. etc. etc.) in real life. The real teams get their running yards from draws and traps, and supplement those with "running" yards from screens (both to HBs and WRs) and short routes.

In the game, though, there's no differentiation between a pass-based spread offense and a spread option offense -- all shotgun formations include option and/or QB read plays. And since the CPU playcalling hasn't been improved ever, every team with the plays available will use them. So instead of slinging the ball all over the field, you see Graham Harrell running with the ball six or seven times a game instead. This causes problems even if you're not playing against the teams. I'm in an online dynasty (still in the first season) where CPU-controlled Texas Tech is in a tailspin because Harrell broke his collarbone on a QB keeper. He's out for 11 weeks.

bkrich83 08-06-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistofrage (Post 2038575403)
Play any team that is shotgun heavy and you'll see it. Heck play Michigan, they have a guy with cement shoes trying to run it 20 times. I hope Dickrod does that in real life.

Wake is a good example too.

That's not what the OP said however and that's what I was disputing. He said play with any team, including USC, which has 1 shotgun formation. I guarantee you if you play against USC they aren't showing you a spread look. And as I said, I played the Bucknuts last night and got a large dosage of power I football.