Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!??? (/forums/showthread.php?t=260049)

heavy_hitter 08-06-2008 11:23 AM

Re: WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!???

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoncold32 (Post 2038573799)
^^^ Then theres people who say stuff like this to try and act like EA is ahead of the curve. This is just bad programming plain and simple. It has nothing to do with "The future of college football." Theres no reason a pocket-passing QB with a 66 in speed should be taking off to run so frequently. I get so many tackles for a loss on 1st and 2nd down that it's not even funny. I just don't get why this was included in the logic this year when its never been so in the past.

I want to add on to your retort about FUTURE of COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

"Are you kidding me?" When is the last time a NCAA team won the MNC using the Spread Option. How about... 2000 NEVER? The Spread Option is a Gimmick offense.

Some would argue UF, but that team used more of a traditional spread rather than the spread option. Chris Leak was slinging the ball all over the field. Hell, I think he just threw another TD against the Buckeyes.

grunt 08-06-2008 11:29 AM

Flaws like this make this game an online only game. I am happy to have gamefly.

stoncold32 08-06-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koshi (Post 2038573894)
:spit:

This is probably at the bottom of their list of things to do, if it's even on the list at all.

The thing is, they wouldn't even have to get every team's detail down right, just add some unique characteristics to each coach so that teams played certain ways... And make sure the AI is programmed to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.

That would be an easy step one.

And if they wanted to build on that they could have coach's characteristics adapt to the recruits they bring in...

All this may sound complicated, but like I say, if they just did the broad strokes and didn't try to get every fine detail down it could work...

But let's be realistic... It ain't happenin'. Why would they add something only a few hardcore fans care about? Even if it'd do wonders for their game? :y13:

Heres the thing though, it's never been an issue in the past. If anything it's been that a few option based teams pass a little bit too much. But I'd take that as oppsed to a team who NEVER runs it in real life with a slow QB, and does it at the worst times.

KG 08-06-2008 12:15 PM

easy solution

give us more team sliders than just run/pass %'s

spit_bubble 08-06-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoncold32 (Post 2038574574)
Heres the thing though, it's never been an issue in the past. If anything it's been that a few option based teams pass a little bit too much...

Actually, in the past ALL teams passed too much... Because it's the same problem the series has always had. They just don't pay any attention to giving teams any type of different play styles, and only give teams different playbooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgx2thez (Post 2038574650)
easy solution

give us more team sliders than just run/pass %'s

One of a number of things they could do.

But let's just face up to it, at this point NCAA Football is nothing more than fodder... It's a romance novel... Next year they should put Fabio on the cover.

Chardon 08-06-2008 01:33 PM

I know man, i hate when im beating a team in the fourth quarter and the QB decides he is going to run right up the middle. An easy win for me but it gets annoying. They dont air it out enough.

sportyguyfl31 08-06-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMet89 (Post 2038572674)
The spread is the future of college football. I mean look at Dennis Dixon last season if you could get a QB like that in any offense it would be the spread. I wouldnt be suprised that in a couple of seasons 75% of QB's think run or option before pass.

Youre a smidge wrong. There is a difference between a "spread offense" like Oklahoma runs, and the spread option.

The spread option is really the "old" coming back again.

It is really the old Wing-T triple option offense, run from a shotgun formation. Instead of having a "wing back" and FB..you have slot recievers.

Ive always been convinced that you can still win playing option football at the highest levels of college football, provided you have the horses to get it done.

That's essentially what teams like the Gators and WVU do, they just do it from a more "modern" look, since kids dont want to play in the ol' Tom Osborne, Nebraska I-Bone anymore.

Darkeus 08-06-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavy_hitter (Post 2038574486)

Some would argue UF, but that team used more of a traditional spread rather than the spread option. Chris Leak was slinging the ball all over the field. Hell, I think he just threw another TD against the Buckeyes.

:nono:
I resent that! :)