Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Major Penalty Bug (/forums/showthread.php?t=260096)

mizzou79 08-04-2008 03:03 PM

Major Penalty Bug

I've been playing since the game was released and have had this happen twice now in Play Now games.

I was down 21-17 with :12 seconds left on the clock in the fourth quarter. It's 2nd down and I'm at the 50 yard line with no time outs left. I decide to chuck and pray and maybe I'll get lucky. I throw it into the end zone and a couple of defensive backs swat the ball down. But there is a holding penalty. Defense accepts the penalty so I'm now back at the 40 yard line with :04 seconds left.....and the clock starts running. The game ends. I just think to myself what the **** and chalk it up to a once in a blue moon bug.

Playing again just the other night. I'm down 17-14 at the opponents 15 yard line with :03 seconds left in the game. I bring out my kicker to boot it through as time expires. The computer ices me but I still kick it through the uprights. Game tied right? Wrong, there is a holding penalty. The defense accepts and so it backs me up to the 25 to rekick the field goal, right. Nope, wrong game is over again without me even attempting to kick again.

On another note, while watching a game in CPU vs. CPU mode I have seen one side punt from the 50 yard line for a touchback only to have the ball respotted back at the 50 for the other team.

Things like this honestly make me wonder why I keep buying this game year in a year out unfortunately.

mva5580 08-04-2008 03:09 PM

Re: Major Penalty Bug

Well if I remember correctly in football, if there is a penalty against the offense under a minute to go, there is supposed to be a time run-off the clock anyway, isn't there?

nolan273 08-04-2008 03:14 PM

^^^^

i think you may be right. i think there is a time run-off for offensive penalties in late game situations.

illmatic1085 08-04-2008 03:20 PM

That's not a major penalty bug. There is a time run-off...Same thing happened to the Cleveland Browns a couple yrs ago.

mizzou79 08-04-2008 03:24 PM

How does the clock start when the ball is spotted after there was an INCOMPLETE pass on the field?

Has there ever in history been a game end with an opposing team kicking a field goal or scoring a touchdown with no time left on the clock only to find out there was an offensive penalty, and after the defense accepts the penalty the game ends?

nstod 08-04-2008 03:27 PM

The second scenario is actually correct. An offensive penalty does not give you another play. Only a defensive penalty. I've seen it a number of times at the end of the 1st half, but don't remember seeing any offensive penalty accepted at the end of the game.

mva5580 08-04-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzou79 (Post 2038568375)
How does the clock start when the ball is spotted after there was an INCOMPLETE pass on the field?

Has there ever in history been a game end with an opposing team kicking a field goal or scoring a touchdown with no time left on the clock only to find out there was an offensive penalty, and after the defense accepts the penalty the game ends?

The clock starts because the offense should not be rewarded for committing a penalty. They had their chance to run the play and if they commit a penalty on the last play of the game, they don't deserve another chance to try the incompletion over again. It's just the opposite of why they DO get another chance if a defensive penalty is committed. You can't reward a team in that situation by committing a penalty, either way. Otherwise you would just have the offense continuing to commit penalties until they get it right, or defensive players just hauling all WR's to the ground to prevent anything from happening.

And I have no idea if your scenario has actually happened before.

fidzilla 08-04-2008 03:47 PM

I believe the 2nd scenario is correct. The FG is taken away with the penalty and with no time left on the clock the game is over because a game CAN end on an offensive penalty. If you would have missed the FG but a defensive penalty was called then you should get a chance to run an untimed down.

The first one may be correct. I believe the clock run off for offensive penalties only applies to pre-snap penalties when the clock is running and the offense has no time outs. So that wouldn't be the reason. The question I have is was the clock running prior to the snap on the hail mary pass. Following the penalty you replay the previous down so if the clock was running before the first snap then I believe it would be running for the 2nd snap as well. If it was stopped prior to the first snap then I believe there is a problem.

I'm far from positive though.