Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Worst Commentary in Sports Games (This Gen) (/forums/showthread.php?t=260447)

RaychelSnr 08-06-2008 11:16 AM

Worst Commentary in Sports Games (This Gen)

Over the course of the past few years, there have been some classic examples of great commentary in sports game. Unfortunately, there have been some classic examples of how to not do commentary in sports games. Richard Chavez takes a look at the five worst recent examples of games with terrible commentary in his article, Worst Commentary in Sports Games. Put your earplugs in.

Quote:

"Commentary in sports games is a relatively new feature. It debuted on the SNES and Genesis with simple statements telling you what was going on in the game. It really took a step forward on the PS1 when CD-quality audio was introduced. Commentary has evolved from NBA Jam’s “FOR THREE!” to full blown conversations in ESPN NFL 2K5 and beyond. With the technology we have now, commentary can sound just like it does on television. Still, there are certain games where you would rather hear the sound of horses breeding. So without further delay, these are some recent games with terrible commentary."

boomhauertjs 08-06-2008 12:07 PM

Wasn't the commentary in NBA 2k7 almost the same as 2k8 with a few new lines added?

rudeworld 08-06-2008 12:14 PM

i dont think he did his research cuz its kevin harlin(sp?) not craig sager...how sad!!!!....and it wasnt bad just repeated lines to much so it got annoying but that a good thing......meaning....you could only hear it alot if you played it alot

theengine 08-06-2008 12:50 PM

How is repetitive commentary a good thing?

paysworld 08-06-2008 12:55 PM

I don't think Jim Lampley did the commentary for fight night 3 but I may be wrong. He however definitely did Prize Fighter and that commentary was terrible. There is definitely more bad commentary than good commentary in sports videogames with MLB 08 the Show being the only exception.

SuperKyle 08-06-2008 01:02 PM

Want some commentary fun?
If you still have a dreamcast, pick up NBA 2k1, and input the cheat code whatamisaying
The announcers talk throughout the game but it is not even completely relevant to what's happening.

RealmK 08-06-2008 01:40 PM

Re: Worst Commentary in Sports Games

Quote:

Originally Posted by paysworld (Post 2038574780)
I don't think Jim Lampley did the commentary for fight night 3 but I may be wrong. He however definitely did Prize Fighter and that commentary was terrible. There is definitely more bad commentary than good commentary in sports videogames with MLB 08 the Show being the only exception.

NHL 08's commentary team of Gary Thorne and Bill Clement is pretty awesome as well. I agree though there's far more bad when it comes to good.

duke776 08-06-2008 01:55 PM

Re: Worst Commentary in Sports Games (This Gen)

power pros...lets get excited about routine pop flies to the 3rd baseman!:jpshakehe