Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   When will dynasty not (be broken/suck)? (/forums/showthread.php?t=262284)

Skulletor 08-13-2008 05:46 PM

When will dynasty not (be broken/suck)?

I've been playing the NCAA series since 2004, and every season I've run through the 60 years of dynasty, the last 4 seasons playing "hand of god" to ensure that the BCS conferences do not suck and the midmajors do not take over. I'm about 26 seasons into NCAA 2009, and every year it's the same thing. here it goes:

Only the California Pac-10 teams are ever good, and one of the Arizona teams (whichever gets Cali recruits early on). Oregon goes from 7-10 win seasons, once in a long while gets a 11 or 12 win season. Stanford, UW, OSU and WSU are always horrible. You would think the northwest schools would get some Cali recruits, but they don't because....

San Diego State, Fresno State, sometimes SJSU, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV become powerhouses. So these 6 schools draw the 3* recruits that some of the other Pac 10 schools thrive and depend on becoming starters in Year 3/4/5. They also draw the 4 star recruits that don't get into USC/Cal/UCLA

Time to go into the Big 12

For whatever reason, Texas and Oklahoma tend to become mediocre schools. TAMU, TT and the mid-major Texas schools (TCU/Houston/UTEP/North Texas *ugh*/Rice or SMU). will pilfer the lucrative Texas recruiting ground. This is the first year that COlorado doesn't suck and keeps CSU/AF from turning into powerhouses. KU/KSU/ISU/Ok State always are Terrible and need the "hand of god" to make bowl eligibility possible every now and then. North Texas eventually just dominates the Sun Belt and keeps winning which means it gets the best Texas recruits, TCU/Houston/UTEP/RICE/SMU exhibit the same behvior to a lesser effect.

Over in the SEC, it seems SEC country just doesn't get enough recruits to make the SEC relevant, without the "hand of god", the SEC would typically produce a 9-4/10-3 champion year after year. Florida can't support FSU/Miami/UF/USF (mostly because UCF/FAU/FIU become powerhouses), so one of those 3 schools will become mediocre. Georgia can't support UGA/GT. Either Kentucky or Louisville always suck

Southern Miss and UAB tend to get the midmajor effect, so that means Auburn/Alabama/MSU/Ole Miss will go to hell. LSU can survive as long as the midmajor Texas schools or Tulane/ULL/ULM don't take its recruits. Arkansas is always bad because it can't get Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana/Miss recruits. Tenn is one of the few schools that doesn't have to compete with any midmajors for recruits and tends to do well, in 2009 South Carolina has lit it up after I had Indiana's coach go to SCAR and got rid of Spurrier

Time to go to the ACC, this conference usually has 2-3 "great" teams: either Miami or FSU (because Florida can't support more than 2 teams). UNC or Clemson usually get good because they can get the Tobacco road recruits, but the rest of the conference suffers because its far too mediocre, neither good nor bad. ECU can become a powerhouse here if it can run a couple good seasons in CUSA. I consistently have seen VT fall off because Virginia can't support 2 teams. Navy/Army have in the past taken a lot of ACC recruits as well

Over in Big East land, this conference is the biggest mess you'll find. Nothing but a bunch of C- to C+ teams, and this leads to a lot of 4-8 to 8-4 records, without the "hand of god", the Big East would never have a ranked team. It seems the Big East just doesn't have the recruiting grounds to support 8 teams. I've seen 1 or 2 teams from (UL/Pitt/WVU) become consistent winners, so that means over the course of 60 years 2 teams win 55 conference championships, so stupid.

Then in Big 10/Notre Dame country, its rare that OSU/Michigan can stay on top. Usually Wisconsin gets to draw the best of Ill/Iowa/Wis/Indiana. The MAC teams get a large amount of Ohio recruits leaving little for the rest of the Big 10, so while Ohio/Akron/NIU becomes powerhouses, Iowa/Penn State/Illinois will wither. This year I've seen Illinois be pretty competitive, but Purude/MSU/MIN have been pathetic to mediocre

Another problem is that teams don't recruit for need very well, I just took over Arkansas, and while I have 10 WR and 11 CBs on my roster I have a grand total of 8 Offensive Linemen - who needs blockers anyways?. I think this has to do with the piss poor dynasty, because teams cut 10 players a year, that could help the Iowa/WSU/Kansas/Vanderbilt/Connecticut/BC's of the world?

so there you have it, EA has produced the same game with the same issues for 6 years now, which have never been addressed. These aren't hard issues to ignore, weigh on Conference prestige/TV exposure more than other factors and it's all good. Unfortunately, while in real life you will always find Arkansas vs MSU on the regional TV, you'd be hardpressed to find a nationally televised North Texas vs FIU game.

Maybe EA can do an overhaul of their dynasty and get this right, this isn't a hard problem to fix. In fact it's a really easy problem to fix, either EA is incapable or unwilling to fix this. this is probably my last year of NCAA until this **** is fixed

Village Idiot 08-14-2008 08:27 AM

Re: When will dynasty not (be broken/suck)?

Good stuff. And you're right, this has been an issue forever.

callmetaternuts 08-14-2008 08:37 AM

Ah, the familiarity of all the dynasties from years past.......

Village Idiot 08-14-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skulletor (Post 2038601964)
... [weigh] Conference prestige/TV exposure more than other factors and it's all good.

And just a quick QFT because it truly is this simple - those two areas don't have a big enough effect.

Craigsca 08-14-2008 11:12 AM

And how hard would it be for EA to write a program utilizing the same algorithms that the consoles use to tweak and test this feature? My guess would be two weeks.

Unfortunately, I think most people lose interest in their dynasties long before these issues occur. I know I've never lasted that long, but I still would like it to be fixed.

Keyser Soze 08-14-2008 11:31 AM

Well since EA releases games where there are a TON of glitches and features that don't work right out of the box and are noticeable on day 1, heck, even hour 1 of game play, I am guessing that dynasty issues that creep up far down the road are no where on the radar. If they are going to release games where sliders literally do NOTHING at all, you can NOT expect them to balance dynasties in year 20.

Skulletor 08-14-2008 01:58 PM

another big factor in this is the recruit visits, just because Texas loses to TAMU doesn't mean all its recruits are suddenly going to go to TCU/NT/Houston

heaf8 08-14-2008 04:59 PM

Do recruits stay in state more than they do in real life?