Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Correct call?? re:safety (/forums/showthread.php?t=262518)

bayeres 08-14-2008 12:31 PM

Correct call?? re:safety

So yesterday while on defense my CB dove from the 2 yard line backwards to intercept a pass. After he caught the ball he landed in the endzone and the play was called a safety. I seem to remember this happening in an NFL game a few years ago and the rule was changed to be a touchback (especially if it involved momentum and not him willingly running into the endzone). Was this the correct call?

Tovarich 08-14-2008 12:38 PM

Re: Correct call?? re:safety

yes, if momentum carried him into the end zone, that's fine, but diving backwards is not momentum

Andrews85 08-14-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayeres (Post 2038604897)
So yesterday while on defense my CB dove from the 2 yard line backwards to intercept a pass. After he caught the ball he landed in the endzone and the play was called a safety. I seem to remember this happening in an NFL game a few years ago and the rule was changed to be a touchback (especially if it involved momentum and not him willingly running into the endzone). Was this the correct call?

The first game I ever play on NCAA one of the CB's intercepted a ball on the 2 yard line and was tackled into the endzone. It was also called a safety.

cbc72 08-14-2008 12:57 PM

To OP - It should have been a touchback based on how you describe it.

To Andrew - It sounds like the forward progress rule should have been in effect there and been your ball on the 2.

dagger55 08-14-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tovarich (Post 2038604918)
yes, if momentum carried him into the end zone, that's fine, but diving backwards is not momentum

How is diving backwards NOT momentum? Is he expected to stop in mid air?

Andrews85 08-14-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbc72 (Post 2038605017)
To OP - It should have been a touchback based on how you describe it.

To Andrew - It sounds like the forward progress rule should have been in effect there and been your ball on the 2.

Yeah thats what I thought.

bayeres 08-14-2008 01:05 PM

oh well........i still won. One of those plays that made you stop and think.