Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Solution to running.... (/forums/showthread.php?t=263076)

cdon2k 08-16-2008 09:52 AM

Solution to running....

I have been struggling with running this year, but I believe I may have found a remedy. I think success in the running game may rely on using specific plays for specific backs.

I use the Colts and running with Addai has been difficult. I could get nothing on a draw/iso, or a toss, even with a FB lead blocking! Well, I finally tried some stretches and counters and have had some nice results! My theory on it is that maybe EA tweaked the game so that toss's are ineffective unless the D totally calls the wrong play and Addai is too small to run between the tackles. Could this be the reason I had such trouble? Or, is the game such a sim now that you have to hit the correct gap A,B or whatever when it is not being covered? Nonetheless, I am having some luck so that's all that matters I guess...

LBzrule 08-16-2008 10:12 AM

Re: Solution to running....

My last two games with McGahee, I did alright (All Madden level)

14 for 63 yards - vs Steelers
17 for 74 yards - vs Vikings

Not too bad.

Only problem is the passing offense went to hell. On a couple of INT's I was pissed though. Nothing like having a WR with a step on a CB and he just gives up on the damn pass. Post route, D Mase has D Townsend beat and does the spin out of the way animation and allows Townsend to cut underneath for the INT. Two problems, 1 bad damn pass. Why does my QB throw behind the WR when I'm leading the pass out front?? Second, for the WR stop doing dumb animations just so the Defense can intercept it.

edubbs 08-16-2008 10:13 AM

It's not that complex.

The reason why people are having issues with the running game is because, the defense does not fatigue appropriately in this year's game.

'Most' long runs or more consistant gains typically happen later in the game as the D fatigues but, the defense doesn't get tired as it should in Madden09.

cdon2k 08-16-2008 11:05 AM

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. That could be a major factor, but being EA, I doubt that D fatigue was ever properly progressive. I don't think they ever pulled that off. Maybe last gen? That game did so many things right.

Vikes1 08-18-2008 02:46 AM

I've taken the advice of not using the speed burst until I've gotten to the LOS...and it does seem to help quite a bit.

I'm actually looking for the holes to open up, and seeing running lanes now. VS just hoping their there. Seems very realistic and rewarded in my opinion.

I still struggle to gain 100 yards rushing...but I'm enjoying the challenge.:)

franch1se 08-18-2008 03:27 AM

i was struggling earlier to with Tomlinson but then lately i have been breaking through. Just look at how the LB line up before and have on your audible list a run inside and a toss or an outside run. When the LB are spread out and are passed the DL run inside. When all the linebackers are stacked and all fit between the DL then run outside.

Ankido 08-18-2008 03:43 AM

I already posted a guide about running and using sprint. It's probably lost in the pages since it was informational and not much posting. You need to HIT THE HOLE HARD. I've played online and All Madden Custom Settings and I've managed to average 100+ yards a game. Online 6 mins a game and off line 8 mins. You need to hit the hole hard and use your juke to elude defenders. I don't care about fatigue. I don't know why running is so complicated. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what your suppose to do. What I didn't like reading on the forums were people saying to use sprint in the secondary. Do you realize how slow your back is in 09 with no acceleration? Looks like he's limping. HIT HARD AND HIT IT FAST. If you see someone come in on you, double juke left and right. Use spin, combos work pretty darn good.

I'm posting up a guide and hopefully it doesn't get lost again. It will pretty much explain how to run, pass and defend the ball.

My advice is to try the Iform/Pro/FB Dive. It's very effective because it develops very quickly. You can try to sub the FB for a HB during play calling. Sometimes the FB Dive using a HB works best. Full Back Dive is a great way to start and HB Toss is golden.

Ram209 08-18-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankido (Post 2038619020)
My advice is to try the Iform/Pro/FB Dive. It's very effective because it develops very quickly. You can try to sub the FB for a HB during play calling. Sometimes the FB Dive using a HB works best. Full Back Dive is a great way to start and HB Toss is golden.

Cheese 101........