Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   NCAA 09 (Wii) bug list (/forums/showthread.php?t=264351)

SkullStevePSU 08-21-2008 02:45 PM

NCAA 09 (Wii) bug list

Look beyond the graphical and feature deficiencies that many reviewers and users of NCAA 09 (Wii) have noted, and the game is actually quite fun to play. However, I've noted a couple of fairly serious bugs that affect gameplay.

1) Half of my extra point and field goal attempts become field goal fake pass attempts. At first, I thought I had accidentally hit the wrong button on the play select screen, but I've been extra attentive since that gaffe and it certainly is not an error on my part. I never notice the wrong play being called at other times, so it doesn't seem to be a general play-selection problem. If this is not an error, but more of a real-life simulation of a botched snap and the ensuing scramble, it happens far too often.

2) Like other users have noted, there are times when my pass clearly is thrown to a receiver other than the one who I selected.

3) I find that the control stick doesn't work reliably in-game. I especially notice this when I am selecting plays (at which point I can use the D-pad instead, so no biggie) and when I am trying to select my defensive player pre-snap (at which point I often need to cycle with the A-button all the way through my defense to get from a DT to the DE).

Does anyone else experience these issues? Anyone have any solutions, clever or otherwise? Any other glitches we can catalog here?

jamsong 08-21-2008 05:24 PM

Re: NCAA 09 (Wii) bug list

1) I have never had a problem with extra points or field goals being botched. I missed a couple but they were still kicked.
2) I have often thrown to a receiver and it seemed to go to someone else completely. I always presumed it was me not pressing hard enough or correctly.
3) I always use the D-pad to select a play and the A key to cycle through the player.

Mine:
4) Differentiating between lob, normal and bullet passes is tough. Maybe I need more practice but when I try to lob, it doesn't think I passed and I end up getting sacked or I'm swinging like a madman before I get sacked and end up throwing a bullet that gets intercepted because I didn't lob it.

Chymeron 08-21-2008 08:32 PM

Posted this elsewhere - and wouldn't technically call it a "bug", but it bothers me that the CPU can high step/taunt into the endzone while I can't.

GKEnialb 08-21-2008 09:12 PM

I definitely have a problem with the passes. I don't have a problem with Madden, so I think I hit the D-pad correctly to start, but my thumb must slide during the actual pass motion. It's a shame they didn't go for the Madden style of passing. I don't normally have a problem kicking or selecting plays, though.

I noticed a tiny little bug when I started my Dynasty -- in the preseason menu, they still have the preseason 119, even though there's 120 teams now. Poor Wyoming gets left out if sorted by team name... :google:

Something that's not a bug, but I can't imagine why they would have bothered to code it this way is the coin toss. Why only have the kick/receive options and not the choice to choose side instead? I guess they did it as part of their "more casual" style, but at least give me an option.

I hope not being able to name your coach is an oversight or bug and not really a design choice. Seeing that "new coach PSU coach is eager..." in the ESPN magazine is very cheesy.

Still fun to play, though.

sportyguyfl31 08-22-2008 10:47 AM

The marching band will occasionally conk out after a FG.

Havent seen the XP counting as a FG thing though.

the Wii version actually does play a dang fine game.IF it was more feature rich, I'd have a very very tough decision on my hands.

bigskinny50 08-22-2008 01:36 PM

I find that trying to throw to the left outside receiver usually causes me to throw to the right tight end/slot receiver. Other than that receiver, I haven't had too many problems with throwing to the wrong receiver.
I have been playing since July continuously and still cannot throw a lob pass. It is impossible to complete a lob over the defense on a fly pattern...at least imo. It's easy to throw way too many interceptions.
I tried turning off the holding and facemask penalties (too many of them) but they are still called when they are turned all the way down to 0
Too many fumbles and dropped passes when contact is made...but that's probably not a glitch. They are just looking for an arcade feel.
Most of my issues have to do with the passing game.
It's a great game if you don't mind running more than passing.

michigal 08-22-2008 05:58 PM

1) I think this might actually be a problem specific to your console or game. I don't have any problems with field goals that don't relate to my ineptness.

2) This is definitely a problem, no matter what I try.

3) I don't think I ever try to do what you're explaining. I know that you do have to cycle through to pick the defensive player you want. Instead, I have problems with the Wiimote playing this game that I don't have with any other game. At first I thought it was just the batteries, but I'm finding that I can put in fresh batteries and the game will still stop responding to the Wiimote/nunchuk while plays are going on/the clock is running. I can't do anything but take the batteries out of the Wiimote to make everything on the screen stop. There are also times when I try to select a play or throw a pass and nothing happens. This leads to my selecting the wrong play oftentimes and getting sacked sometimes.

I also don't feel the the sliders totally work, particularly when you're trying to edit the defense. I'd like a game where both offenses can be explosive, but no matter what I try my defense either plays much better than the CPU offense or the CPU offense continuously can't get going. I also find it irritating how the only think playing on Heisman seems to do is make you throw interceptions while if you're a pretty good player All-American is like playing on Freshman. And on Heisman, the interceptions happen many times just from the fact that the Wii game throws to players you're not trying to throw to.

There are also some games when I can go an entire game without any team's music playing when they score, and some of the commentary is way off (i.e. sometimes they say you have great field position when you're on your ow 8 yard line...to be fair, I've found odd comentary like this in older versions of the game on other consoles).

There are many problems with this game as far as glitches. I see users with other consoles talking about patches for this game...the Wii version definitely needs one...The game IS fun, but it's a shame that I can have MORE fun and be challenged more on older versions...

GKEnialb 08-22-2008 06:35 PM

Another smaller set of bugs are that some of the screens don't quite fit together. Like the scores of other games cover the stats of your team/players and if you click on the game summary of a game you've already played, you only can see one of the two players of the game. Small, but things that should have been caught easily in testing.

Also, the sounds coming out of the Wiimote sometimes make no sense (e.g., "Running the same play!" on the kickoff and "Running out of time" on a kickoff return or after an interception"). Speaking of that, is there a way to turn down the volume on the Wiimote sounds?