Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   All Pro Football 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The BBB (Better Business Bureau)? (/forums/showthread.php?t=265035)

black jedi 08-25-2008 12:06 AM

The BBB (Better Business Bureau)?

Hi guys. I have a question for all of you. With all of the bugs and glitches in Madden 09 why havent people called and complained to the better business bureau? I mean with a game (product) being shipped out with all of these problems wouldnt that be considered defective? I remember when products from companies would be recalled for things like this. thoughts.......

Thank you

Bahnzo 08-25-2008 12:15 AM

Re: The BBB (Better Business Bureau)?

The BBB is a toothless entity. Despite what most people think, they really exist to hand out plaques for local businesses to hang on their wall behind the cash register. If they get enough complaints, then maybe EA won't get their plaque, but there's nothing they can do to actually punish anyone.

McLite 08-25-2008 01:41 AM

Considering the BBB has them at "Unsatisfactory" and they have received 801 complaints in the past 3 years I think some people beat you to the punch.

http://goldengate.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Re...116&firm=64196

MC Fatigue 08-25-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahnzo (Post 2038644083)
The BBB is a toothless entity. Despite what most people think, they really exist to hand out plaques for local businesses to hang on their wall behind the cash register. If they get enough complaints, then maybe EA won't get their plaque, but there's nothing they can do to actually punish anyone.

Pretty much. The BBB has no pull over anything, and no company has to listen to a thing they say.

Madden makes millions and millions of dollars for EA - why would they care what some stupid company tells them about the game? They're doing what they set out to do - make big sales.

boooey 08-25-2008 09:23 AM

hey guys. when did this site become a pro EA forum?

you can't say anything negative about about EA over in the Madden forum without the thread being locked, or receiving an "infraction" and MODS are actually editing posts and taking about any wording that speaks badly of EA.

that is crazy.

ComfortablyLomb 08-25-2008 09:57 AM

The BBB is a private organization funded by its member businesses. It's main enforcement power is the ability to expel businesses that it deems unsatisfactory. And it does happen. What you get when you use a business that is a member of the BBB is a sort of guarantee of that their baseline performance is at a certain level. There are going to be other business that aren't members that are better than that and others that are far worse. Is the BBB there to fix any problem you come across? No, and with any sort of consumer situation there's a bit of "buyer beware" underlying everything, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be a little bit more comfortable going with a BBB member than someone strictly out of the phone book.

You can file a complaint with the BBB and they'll try to help mediate the situation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If the business you're having a problem with isn't a member then they're under no obligation to respond to BBB complaints or inquiries in any way (I'd be absolutely shocked if EA is a member or ever even applied to be one). You can also file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's Office and sometimes that helps and sometimes it won't. If you do have a problem and don't file, well they'll have no record of it, and one of the things that does force some action are many different complaints against a single company. Ultimately though, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you do your homework before buying anything.

fishepa 08-25-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boooey (Post 2038644642)
hey guys. when did this site become a pro EA forum?

you can't say anything negative about about EA over in the Madden forum without the thread being locked, or receiving an "infraction" and MODS are actually editing posts and taking about any wording that speaks badly of EA.

that is crazy.

Because those threads that are started about various issues have already been discussed in the bugs/glitches thread and there is no reason to have 20 million threads about the same things. It keeps the forum uncluttered.

People do get infractions for acting like morons and throwing insults at EA and any other developer as a matter of fact. We are not giving EA any treatment that other companies wouldn't get.

If SEGA released a new game and everyone was in here with posts such as SEGA SUCKS, I HATE SEGA, SEGA developers suck, blah blah blah those posts would be deleted as well.

boooey 08-25-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishepa (Post 2038644702)
Because those threads that are started about various issues have already been discussed in the bugs/glitches thread and there is no reason to have 20 million threads about the same things. It keeps the forum uncluttered.

People do get infractions for acting like morons and throwing insults at EA and any other developer as a matter of fact. We are not giving EA any treatment that other companies wouldn't get.

If SEGA released a new game and everyone was in here with posts such as SEGA SUCKS, I HATE SEGA, SEGA developers suck, blah blah blah those posts would be deleted as well.

ok, i gotcha.. from a relatively new forum member, it just seems like some of the mods here have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to quieting non EA supporters.

thanks for the explanation fishepa