Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who Are Your Favorite/Least Favorite Football Analysts? (/forums/showthread.php?t=265511)

ProfessaPackMan 08-27-2008 11:26 AM

Who Are Your Favorite/Least Favorite Football Analysts?

You can name locals guys if you want.

But yea, my favorites:

Tom Jackson
Steve Young
Solomon Wilcots
Phil Simms(not really a "analyst" but normallys gives great insight to the game.)

Least Favorite:
Everybody on BSPN(except for the folks I did mentioned)
Jamie Dukes
Marshall Faulk

DC 08-27-2008 11:32 AM

Re: Who Are Your Favorite/Least Favorite Football Analysts?

Favorite

SPTO 08-27-2008 12:48 PM

Favorite:

Tom Jackson
Soloman Wilcotts
Sterling Sharpe
Ron Jaworski (before going in the booth)

Least favorite

Jamie Dukes
Rod Woodson (he talks a good game but if you really listen to him it's all hot air)
Most of the ESPN people

J0nnD0ugh 08-27-2008 02:49 PM

Favorite : Dan Dierdorf
guys @ Fox pregame (sad to say)

Unliked : any ex QB (besides Bradshaw)
Keyshawn
Madden
Collinsworth
none of the Fox color guys
Randy Cross
Paul Maguire (UGH!!)
Mark Schlereth

SPTO 08-27-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh (Post 2038651858)
Favorite : Dan Dierdorf
guys @ Fox pregame (sad to say)

Unliked : any ex QB (besides Bradshaw)
Collinsworth
Paul Maguire (UGH!!)

Dan Dierdorf was very good in his time doing MNF and earlier in his stint with CBS. Now the man is stuck doing Z grade games but I always enjoy listening to his perspective. He comes across as a helluva guy.

You actually LIKE the dumbed down boys at Fox? C'mon man that's just too silly for me to accept. There is no substance to anything they talk about IMO.

As for your unlikes I think you're being a bit harsh on every QB that's been an analyst. Dan Fouts was darn good as an analyst and I enjoyed what he brought to the table. If we go further back Len Dawson and John Brodie were pretty good at analyzing what was going on on the offensive side of the ball. Neither one were flashy but they brought credibility to the craft.

To me, Collinsworth isn't so bad. He does have diarrhea of the mouth at times when a simple answer/point would suffice but I think he's one of the better guys at making the game simpler for those who may not know every little detail.

As for Paul Maquire I agree he can be grating on the nerves. I have a playoff game with the Bills and he was working with Marv Albert. The game was more or less done and the cameras were showing guard dogs and Maguire was making barking/woofing sounds for cryin' out loud! That being said, I found him entertaining during the tail end of his stint with NBC when he was on the A team with Enberg and Simms. He grasped onto the role of cranky cantankerous old guy and it worked to perfection. He was also pretty good on ESPN but one can only take so much of the banter between he and Theismann before throwing something at the TV.

Jistic 08-27-2008 03:49 PM

Don't know if I'd call him an analyst, but to me Adam Schefter is the best in the business.

Analyst?
Sterling Sharpe
Mike Mayock
Troy Aikman
Steve Young

Least?
Simms easily
Even though he's gone STILL hate Salisbury

SPTO 08-27-2008 04:45 PM

I'd say Schefter is more of an NFL reporter who gets into the nitty gritty of things. He's the NFL-N's answer to John Clayton.

Jistic 08-27-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2038652216)
I'd say Schefter is more of an NFL reporter who gets into the nitty gritty of things. He's the NFL-N's answer to John Clayton.

Agree, but IMO he's 100X better than Clayton.