Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   NCAA and Madden need Team Tendency Sliders (/forums/showthread.php?t=265936)

therizing02 08-29-2008 12:48 PM

NCAA and Madden need Team Tendency Sliders

I was actually thinking that this would be a great way to create a more realistic playing game.

For FIFA 09 (here I go again) the developers have added Team Tactical Sliders. Each slider has a 1-100 scale and based on how they are set, the team actually plays to the settings.

Unlike NCAA and Madden that just have a Coach Setting there are 10-15 settings in FIFA. With that many settings there are about 50,000 potential combinations.

Since we all know that the play calling is atrocious this year in Madden and NCAA I thought that this would be a good way to not only fix the problem, but create a more realistic experience at the same time.

Some ideas for tendencies:

Offensive Tendency Sliders

Run vs. Pass
Run vs. Pass on 3rd and 7 or more
Run vs. Pass on 3rd and 4-6
Run Vs. Pass on 3rd and 4 or less
Run vs. Pass on 1st down
Run vs. Pass on 2nd and 8 or more
Run vs. Pass on 2nd and 4-8
Run vs. Pass on 2nd and 3 or less.
Run vs. Pass on 4th and 7 or more
Run vs. Pass on 4th and 4-6
Run vs. Pass on 4th and 3 or less

Defensive Tendency Sliders

Zone vs. Man
Separate blitz tendencies for all down and distance situations mentioned above.

You get the idea. I'm sure others will have more suggestions. With custom tactics in Franchise Mode and having the ability to view your opponent's tactics for the upcoming game you would then be able to put a game plan together based on tendencies. Again, creating a more realisitic/sim style game.

For the casual gamer. Have the option to turn off the custom tactics

The greatest thing about how the FIFA team is implementing this is that the game will be shipped with pre loaded team tactics based on the development team's knowledge of the playing style of the actual teams IRL.
Admittedly they know many of them will be incorrect, so they have allowed the user to upload the custom team tactics to the EA Locker for every user to download if they want.

This will work out well because by the time the game ships in the US (it ships in Euro first) most Europeans will have the true to life tactics uploaded for their favorite teams. On day one I'll be able to download the actual tactics used by any team I want. Liverpool will play like Liverpool. Chelsea will play like Chelsea. Manchester United will....

Isn't this what we've been wanting in NCAA and Madden forever? The teams in the game playing and calling plays like their real life counterparts? Custom Team Tactics and/or Team Tendency Sliders not only give you this but, you also get the bonus of EVERY game play differently based on tendency sliders.

With the play calling the way it is now every game pretty much plays the same. The overuse of the QB Wrap play, Corner blitzes, and lack of CPU deep ball are just killing the game from a strategic standpoint.

Given this Community's and others desire for a realistic gaming experience I'm certain that two days after release the custom team tendency sliders will be available for every team in the game in someone's EA Locker right?

Thoughts?

sportyguyfl31 08-29-2008 12:51 PM

Re: NCAA and Madden need Team Tendency Sliders

Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!!!

CPU plays the exact same on both sides of the ball regardless of team and personnel.

RAZRr1275 08-29-2008 12:53 PM

YES. Put this in the wishlist thread too. I already posted about this there but yours as far as the passing ones is a bit more refined than mine.

Speedy 08-29-2008 07:35 PM

Awesome stuff; it'd be kewl if they had like a Scouts Inc. kind of thing

That way, AI wouldn't really have to be adjusted too much. The computer would see what plays the user tends to use at a certain time thru the previous games during the season and would incorporate a game plan. Afterwards, maybe at coaching strategy, one could see the different game plans which were used to try to defeat the user

EricM 08-29-2008 09:01 PM

I would like to be able to customize like that, but what you have listed would not stop my most hated thing, which is slow QBs on teams who never, ever run the option running option plays half a dozen times a game. The playbooks are too screwed up for there to just be a run/pass tendency based on down and distance. They're just collections of formations, and a lot of the formations have more option plays than direct hand-offs, so when the CPU decides to run it will be an option most of the time. This is even in simmed games - look at the end of season stats and no starting QB has fewer than 60 carries.

EA needs to make real team-specific playbooks, and they need to give us more variety in the run plays than ISO, power, zone, toss. That should help give the CPU more run plays to pick from and encourage some kind of run game. Plus, I try to run a lot, but jeeze, I get a little tired of running the same three plays over and over.

RAZRr1275 08-29-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricM (Post 2038658804)
I would like to be able to customize like that, but what you have listed would not stop my most hated thing, which is slow QBs on teams who never, ever run the option running option plays half a dozen times a game. The playbooks are too screwed up for there to just be a run/pass tendency based on down and distance. They're just collections of formations, and a lot of the formations have more option plays than direct hand-offs, so when the CPU decides to run it will be an option most of the time. This is even in simmed games - look at the end of season stats and no starting QB has fewer than 60 carries.

EA needs to make real team-specific playbooks, and they need to give us more variety in the run plays than ISO, power, zone, toss. That should help give the CPU more run plays to pick from and encourage some kind of run game. Plus, I try to run a lot, but jeeze, I get a little tired of running the same three plays over and over.

Put this in the wishlist thread. They could put a tendency slider in for ISO, power, zone, and toss plays.