Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A Plea To Improve HB Running Styles (/forums/showthread.php?t=268220)

Roy38 09-11-2008 11:52 AM

A Plea To Improve HB Running Styles

I want to preface this with I like how EA updated the running game for '09 - specifically the running controls. Being able to string together jukes, spins, hurdles, stiff-arms, etc. mid-move was a great idea on their part and translates nicely into the game. The movement could be a little more crisper and responsive (aren't we all seeking football nirvana?), but overall a HUGE upgrade from past editions. By implementing the new running game, it also changed how people run the football from past versions. Instead of relying on left juke, right juke, and truck stick (especially), you now have a full repertoire of moves at your disposal that are useful in any given situation individually or in combinations. A really great step in the right direction.

While the controls improved '09's running game overall and give a more realistic approach, it still falls short in the running style department. I'd like to see Power HB's have the same effect on a game as Speed HB's do. In its current form, Power HB's are at a significant disadvantage to Speed HB's not only because of their speed, but because it seems the other attributes don't matter as much. If I can use a Speed HB the same way as a Power HB with the added ability of taking one to the house at any given time, there is something fundamentally wrong with the game. Why bother recruiting the Power HB?

Which brings me to my first plea (EA, listen up!) - Allow for differences between Power HB's and Speed HB's, but make them both advantageous to use. If I want to recruit a lightning Speed HB, make him fast and agile and a weapon in the open field, but easy to bring down. If I want to recruit a sledgehammer Power HB, make him slower but more punishing and a weapon to the offense in his own right. Don't make speed the most important characteristic for every recruit. Allow for differences, but differences that both yield positive results. :y220:

Andrews85 09-11-2008 12:45 PM

Re: A Plea To Improve HB Running Styles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy38 (Post 2038697508)
I want to preface this with I like how EA updated the running game for '09 - specifically the running controls. Being able to string together jukes, spins, hurdles, stiff-arms, etc. mid-move was a great idea on their part and translates nicely into the game. The movement could be a little more crisper and responsive (aren't we all seeking football nirvana?), but overall a HUGE upgrade from past editions. By implementing the new running game, it also changed how people run the football from past versions. Instead of relying on left juke, right juke, and truck stick (especially), you now have a full repertoire of moves at your disposal that are useful in any given situation individually or in combinations. A really great step in the right direction.

While the controls improved '09's running game overall and give a more realistic approach, it still falls short in the running style department. I'd like to see Power HB's have the same effect on a game as Speed HB's do. In its current form, Power HB's are at a significant disadvantage to Speed HB's not only because of their speed, but because it seems the other attributes don't matter as much. If I can use a Speed HB the same way as a Power HB with the added ability of taking one to the house at any given time, there is something fundamentally wrong with the game. Why bother recruiting the Power HB?

Which brings me to my first plea (EA, listen up!) - Allow for differences between Power HB's and Speed HB's, but make them both advantageous to use. If I want to recruit a lightning Speed HB, make him fast and agile and a weapon in the open field, but easy to bring down. If I want to recruit a sledgehammer Power HB, make him slower but more punishing and a weapon to the offense in his own right. Don't make speed the most important characteristic for every recruit. Allow for differences, but differences that both yield positive results. :y220:

I agree 100%, Im all about the power backs and pounding the ball.

jdrhammer 09-11-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrews85 (Post 2038697672)
I agree 100%, Im all about the power backs and pounding the ball.

I may be wrong about the year but it seems like NCAA 2003 had power backs that would lower their shoulder and break tackles better. The coolest thing was how they didn't juke big like others and you could feel the difference playing with them.

Also, the size of players would help to especially translating strength with weight.

KG 09-11-2008 01:07 PM

They need to tone down the spin move DRAMATICALLY.

1on1 in the open field and I can hit them with a spin move that doesn't slow down my HB, cuts back 5-7yds across the field, and works way too frequently. The spin move on next gen is what the juke move on PS2/Xbox was-unstoppable.

Only the elite agile backs should be able to do this effectively, Mcknight, Devine, etc...

youALREADYknow 09-11-2008 01:13 PM

EA just needs to fix the entire speed and ratings engine for the game. It's an absolute joke.

Just to see what would happen, I created a 5'5" 160lb HB for Wyoming named Speed Racer and gave him 99 SPD, 99 STA, 99 INJ. I gave him ZERO for every other rating in the game, thus making him a 40 OVR.

So I play a Play Now game of Wyoming vs UTEP on All-American with default sliders, supersim all defense and only playing offense. I let Speed Racer play the first half and the first possession of the 2nd half, then substituted in the 81 OVR starting HB and 77 OVR 2nd string HB to take the rest of the carries in the game. I'll let you guess who the best player on the field was.

Game Stats:

HB Speed Racer: 29 ATT, 251 YDS, 8.6 AVG, 3 TD, 2 BTK, 1 FUMB
HB #26: 20 ATT, 72 YDS, 3.6 AVG, 1 TD, 4 BTK, 1 FUMB
HB #31: 16 ATT, 58 YDS, 3.6 AVG, 0 TD, 4 BTK, 0 FUMB

HB Speed Racer: 7 REC, 43 YDS, 6.1 AVG, 0 TD, 4 DROPS

Someone at EA please explain to me why speed is the only rating that really matters in this game for most players at most positions. My player had 0 in every receiving category, yet still caught 63% of the passes thrown to him including passes that were out of his reach. My player has 0 AGI and 0 ACC, yet still starts out going faster than every player on the field and has the ability to cutback on a dime.

I don't know how many years in a row I've played this game and been able to call any inside run with a fast HB and immediately run outside of the tackles for huge gains. Are DE's and OLB's just there for show in this game unless they too have high SPD ratings? Why does everyone collapse the middle of the field on every run between the tackles, thus killing the inside running game and forcing all players to use speed running plays?

Videos of this player in game:

1. Run outside: Spin move and broken tackle
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/565311

2. Run outside: Broken tackle on the sidelines
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/565360

3. Run off-tackle: Zigzag run turning on a dime while maintaining speed
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/565386

4. Reception: Caught in the flat and runs over a DB
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/565355

5. My personal favorite: Perfect route running followed by ridiculous speed burst into catch
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/565408

rspencer86 09-11-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youALREADYknow (Post 2038697758)
EA just needs to fix the entire speed and ratings engine for the game. It's an absolute joke.

Just to see what would happen, I created a 5'5" 160lb HB for Wyoming named Speed Racer and gave him 99 SPD, 99 STA, 99 INJ. I gave him ZERO for every other rating in the game, thus making him a 40 OVR.

Wow, interesting test you ran there. Just goes to show that speed is pretty much the only rating you need to look at in this game.

mach9139 09-11-2008 02:10 PM

AWR is useless for running backs because whenever they have the ball you are providing their awareness by controling them.

I would like to think that AWR is at least important to defensive AI players. I would be interesting (and way too much work) to make a defense full of 99 spd 0 awr guys and see what the CPU numbers are at the end of the game.

I might try it when my friend gets back with his xbox

BuckeyesFan21 09-11-2008 10:21 PM

This needs to be done.