Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Petition to remove Ed Hochuli and Officiating Crew from future NFL Games (/forums/showthread.php?t=268850)

chilli311 09-15-2008 02:02 AM

Petition to remove Ed Hochuli and Officiating Crew from future NFL Games

Let me preface this by saying that I DID NOT WRITE THIS, so before you start slinging the arrows at me, I'm just the messenger. This was started over on GTP. The worst part is that after the game, Hochuli came up to Norv and stated, "I blew the call." He even admits to screwing it up! Please sign this if you want action take against the officials.

Quote:

The San Diego Chargers got hosed by Ed Hochuli and the Officiating Crew that controlled the San Diego Chargers at Denver Broncos, September 14th, 2008.

The Broncos won the game as a result of two grossly incompetent calls.

Trailing 38-31, the Broncos (2-0) reached the 1 but on third-and-goal, Jay Cutler reared back to throw and the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into linebacker Tim Dobbins' hands.

But referee Ed Hochuli blew his whistle, apparently ruling it an incomplete pass. After a review, Hochuli said that the Broncos would keep the ball because his whistle had blown the play dead. The Broncos got the ball at the 10-yard line, where it had hit the grass out of Cutler's hands.

Two plays later, Cutler hit Royal for the TD to make it 38-37.

The Broncos also benefited from an equipment malfunction that prevented the officials from reviewing Champ Bailey's interception at the San Diego 29 in the first quarter. TV replays, which the crew didn't have access to, showed Chambers' left elbow on the grass while he cradled the ball in his right arm as Bailey was trying to strip it away.

Because the replay equipment wasn't working, Hochuli waited the required 2 minutes, then ruled that the call on the field stood. San Diego wasn't charged a timeout, but the Broncos capitalized with Michael Pittman's 1-yard dive for their first touchdown against the Chargers in nine quarters.

Please remove this officiating team from all future NFL contests.

Thank You.
NFL Petition

TheMatrix31 09-15-2008 02:24 AM

Re: Petition to remove Ed Hochuli and Officiating Crew from future NFL Games

LOL. Considering that Hochuli and his crew are usually the best the NFL has to offer, whoever made this petition is an absolute moron.

I didn't know that equipment failure was the fault of referees.

McLite 09-15-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2038709959)
LOL. Considering that Hochuli and his crew are usually the best the NFL has to offer, whoever made this petition is an absolute moron.

Agreed.

How many refs in professional sports have botched things that decided the end of a game. I can think of more than a few times just off the top of my head. People make mistakes, Hochuli is one of the best around.

At least he was man enough to admit he made a mistake and take the punishment. Should be an example to the usual dodgers and duckers out there.

55 09-15-2008 03:03 AM

Joke topic.

bkrich83 09-15-2008 03:15 AM

The guy is one of the most respected officials in the game, he blew a call, it sucks, but it happens.. I have a hard time believing they are going to find anyone better out there to replace him with.

Tell the guys at GTP, to stop embarrassing the rest of the Charger fans with this nonsense.

Time to let it go and move on.

WazzuRC 09-15-2008 03:24 AM

I wouldn't mess with Ed Hochuli. I'm pretty sure he could kick the s**t out of half of the players in the NFL.

Nza 09-15-2008 04:30 AM

Refs just need to be more cluey on when to blow a whistle and when not to. If something is even close to being a fumble, then it should be ruled a fumble and it should be up to the offense to overturn it, not the other way around. If the offense doesn't like it, simple - do a better job of hanging onto the football until the whistle does actually blow.

Same deal for borderline catches/drops. If it isn't easily without a doubt a catch, then rule it a drop. Stop giving offenses the benefit of the doubt and force them to prove it was a catch. After all, it was their fault it wasn't brought in more cleanly, force them to prove it was a catch and not the defense to prove it wasn't.

ZB9 09-15-2008 04:46 AM

terrible crew

ive been weary of Hocuili for a while. Every time I see him on the field for a Cowboys game, i let out an "aw ****ing ****"

Beware of celebrity officials that want to be a part of the "show". You can bet that if he is officiating a game, there is going to be a lot of laundry on the field.

Officials like him are the biggest negative in the game, slighty ahead of too many commercials.