Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Holy Operation Sports Batman! (/forums/showthread.php?t=269553)

RaychelSnr 09-19-2008 10:41 AM

Holy Operation Sports Batman!

What would happen if you mixed the world of comic books with sports games? Caley Roark joins us today to mull over that question and to see what kind of an answer he can get. Check out his thoughts in his article, Holy Operation Sports Batman!

Quote:

"You've been living in your own Batcave if you've failed to notice the impact comic books have recently had on the entertainment industry. TV shows, games, and movies are capitalizing big time on what used to be (and perhaps still is) a relatively niche product. I heard a young person recently say that the, "The Dark Knight is the "defining movie of his generation," yet when asked, admitted he'd never picked up a Batman comic. (A similar claim could probably be made for many casual sports gamers; how many "Maddenites" have never watched an NFL game from whistle to whistle?) Regardless, comic properties are hotter than ever, and are finding their way into mainstream avenues like never before."

ofdman 09-19-2008 01:21 PM

No offense dude but that is an awful idea and would not fly. I like tuna and also like ice cream but the two don't mix and neither does a olympics super hero or baseball game. Sports fans want the real athletes in their sports games and super hero fans want their heros in their environment. They want Hulk smashing and Spidy swinging and from a building and not a baseball bat. Tuna flavored ice cream anyone?

Crash Davis 09-19-2008 02:23 PM

I hope this isnt the new writer you guys picked up lol yikes

CPRoark 09-19-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash Davis (Post 2038724239)
I hope this isnt the new writer you guys picked up lol yikes

Nope, been here for a while.

To ofdman, I think you are right that most people (at least on here) want real athletes in their sports games. Yet we continue to get Mario sports games, including baesball, soccer, and Olympics--and they tend to sell well! When I was younger, fantasy sports games like Basewars were as much fun to play as the realistic counterpart. We're even getting a new Bloodbowl soon.

I know these ideas are way out there, but really it's intended to start a dialogue, much as my friend's constant longing for X-Men football got me thinking.

I like the tuna-flavored ice cream analogy though.

ChaseB 09-19-2008 02:50 PM

I'd be down with tuna-flavored ice cream -- I'll try any food combo once.

distauma 09-19-2008 02:59 PM

What if the food combo is peanut butter, anchovies, and olives with mayo on a ciabatta roll?? :)

Blzer 09-19-2008 03:35 PM

Re: Holy Operation Sports Batman!

Quote:

Originally Posted by distauma (Post 2038724377)
What if the food combo is peanut butter, anchovies, and olives with mayo on a ciabatta roll?? :)

... and secret sauce?

Lintyfresh85 09-19-2008 03:41 PM

Secret Sauce is just Thousand Island Dressing btw.