Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL Head Coach (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Pretty upset at the lack of guidance for this game (/forums/showthread.php?t=269654)

mrjordan 09-20-2008 02:21 AM

Pretty upset at the lack of guidance for this game

Josh,
I'm pretty frustrated with this game.
Is there a reason that this game has to be such a mystery to figure out what everything means? It is designed to be a mystery?
People have questions but they dont seem to get answered...

Sliders dont seem to work.

I still cant figure out what SUB 1st string means...does it mean put the 1st string in or Sub for the 1st string with the 2nd string?

when you say KEEP HIM OUT on an injured player is that for practice or a game? how do you keep him out of practice?

How do you put a player on IR manually?

Is it possible for someone to put up a simple tutorial?

I'm not the only one asking these questions and I dont think its too much to get some basic ideas of what these things mean.
Sorry if I'm being rude but I'm just frustrated right now...I was having fun with the game but trying to figure out these questions is not at all fun.
thanks

Josh_Looman 09-20-2008 02:38 AM

Re: Pretty upset at the lack of guidance for this game

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjordan (Post 2038726174)
Josh,
Is there a reason that this game has to be such a mystery to figure out what everything means? It is designed to be a mystery?

I still cant figure out what SUB 1st string means...does it mean put the 1st string in or Sub for the 1st string with the 2nd string?

when you say KEEP HIM OUT on an injured player is that for practice or a game? how do you keep him out of practice?

I'm not the only one asking these questions and I dont think its too much to get some basic ideas of what these things mean.
Sorry if I'm being rude but I'm just frustrated right now...I was having fun with the game but trying to figure out these questions is not at all fun.
thanks

These questions have all been answered in previous threads.

1. Sliders do work and this has been discussed many, many times.

2. It means sub the 1st string back in.

3. Keep him out means that he will sit out the next scheduled practice or game.

4. Press A or X on an injured player in the NFL Injuries screen.

JoeMimic 09-20-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh_Looman (Post 2038726193)
These questions have all been answered in previous threads.

1. Sliders do work and this has been discussed many, many times.

Can you please point me in the direction of where this conversation took place? Maybe my game is broke because my sliders do not work. If they work why is there a thread for comprehensive slider test trying to figure out what exactly works and what doesn't? Maybe our definition of work seems to differ but in my head if I put the human sliders up to 100 and the CPU's sliders down to 0 in every category I should win pretty easily every game and dominate but nothing changes. The kicking game is proof positive the sliders don't work. You can boost them all to 100 on both sides and guys still are short on chipshot FGs all the time.

Josh_Looman 09-20-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMimic (Post 2038726397)
Can you please point me in the direction of where this conversation took place? Maybe my game is broke because my sliders do not work. If they work why is there a thread for comprehensive slider test trying to figure out what exactly works and what doesn't? Maybe our definition of work seems to differ but in my head if I put the human sliders up to 100 and the CPU's sliders down to 0 in every category I should win pretty easily every game and dominate but nothing changes. The kicking game is proof positive the sliders don't work. You can boost them all to 100 on both sides and guys still are short on chipshot FGs all the time.

As I've mentioned many times, the sliders are not meant to drastically impact gameplay.

We tuned the game to where we thought it should be and the sliders modify that slightly.

Regardless of how you feel about how sliders SHOULD work, that is how they will work.

miamikris 09-20-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh_Looman (Post 2038726510)
As I've mentioned many times, the sliders are not meant to drastically impact gameplay.

We tuned the game to where we thought it should be and the sliders modify that slightly.

Regardless of how you feel about how sliders SHOULD work, that is how they will work.

just for the record im fine with the way they work josh the only thing i moved is rb ability to 40 which seems to make the running game a little more realistic.overall great job to you and your team on the game waiting for the patch mainly looking forward to less fumbles.thanks for the great game!

Purplepower 09-20-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjordan (Post 2038726174)
Josh,

thanks

I do trully love this game, but it is so deep, you really do need the mannuel if you are coming over from madden. There is such a high learning curve, with lots of things to do.

Sliders: They do effect game play, but do not completly change the way a player plays. If you put it on "0" for a CPU controlled Manning....he is not going to look like a rookie. Get away from that madden thinking. This game is more of play book knowledge, and coaching skills. The better the player/playbook knowledge the more dangerous your team becomes. My Viks with Peterson during preseason could not find a hole..with maxed sliders. Now on default (which I think are perfert) you can see on the field he is always one player away from a TD. I do still sim my kicks, because I have not spent any skill points on my kicking game. When I sim the kicks...works fine.

If you need to put players on the IR, go to the roster section and select from there.

Hope this helps some with the sliders. Don't get frustrated, and keep playing. You will see lots of fumbles/injuries at first, but over a few games with playbook knowledge it turns out to be truely a great game. These boards are great, if you have a guestion just ask...as the guys on here care about your enjoyment and are happy to get you up and running.

steelraccoon 09-20-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh_Looman (Post 2038726510)

Ok, then let's look at a game I played just a moment ago. I am using the Falcons and Played against the Titans in my 3rd Preseason game.

I set my sliders to 90 for Human and 10 for CPU. Now, even if the sliders only slightly modify game play, this still should have given me an advantage on both sides of the ball.

I regret to inform u it did not!! While I won 41-17, this is not a big surprise to me as i replayed it with the sliders set to 50 on both sides and got a very similar result, 35 -21.

With the sliders set to my Pass/Run Blocking on 90, the Titans Def. managed 14 TFL's, 4 Sacks and 9 Hurries.

With the sliders set to the CPU having 10 for Pass/Run Blocking, I only managed a meager 8 TFL, 0 Sacks and 5 Hurries.

So tell me, how do the sliders work??? Does the Human even work cause if it does, I would love to know how. It seemed like the CPU sliders (oh, by the way, I call all my games and never sim) affect both teams and if that is so, then why are the Player/Human sliders even in there.

SloeyEZ 09-20-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMimic (Post 2038726397)

see, every time someone posts about sliders I am irrevocably drawn to reply and I get angrier every time. "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" damn we need an incredible hulk smiley ;)

every time someone posts about sliders, I reply saying...I have never touched a slider and never will. I have never touched the FG slider and I have made 50+ FGs, I have never touched Int or defense or w/e, see I don't even know what they are...and I have always had balanced realistic games.

WHICH is why I loved it when dasportsguy created the subforum for sliders....[POINTS JOEMIMIC IN THAT DIRECTION] because I no longer was compelled to reply to these posts....I'd like to say stop wasting the devs time about sliders, but free speech and all that... but 1) don't use them 2) if you use them they're going to affect the game, but gee-willikers football has so many variables (players, weather, fatigue, randomness, one-one matchups, coaching, skills, play calling, oh am I still listing variables? sorry,) but football has so many variables how could you possibly ever tell exactly what the slider does each and every play? 3) when a dev says they're working as designed...excluding bugs/glitches, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's talking about. Granted, everyone should post incidents once...once...once...so that if it is a bug/glitch they will be aware of the situation...but just once until the dev says they are working as designed...then yeah, drop it. 4) don't use them 5) I should be doing my hw instead of ranting here. 6) I don't even know why sliders are in sim games...Madden yes, you want to be able to change the difficulty level, but simulations? It's pretty much contradictory if you ask me...there are no sliders in life...well I could say something political here, but I will not. ;)

I beg you please stop posting about sliders anywhere else but in the sliders forum now...can't we call this issue dead? :( I'm only begging so I'm not compelled again again again again again to vent my frustration on people who buy a simulator and don't simulate. LOL....did people buy Microsoft Flight Simulators and put it on AutoPilot before taking off so the CPU did everything for them? I just made some enemies here didn't I? :y6: