Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Sports Video Games as Therapy (/forums/showthread.php?t=271092)

RaychelSnr 09-28-2008 01:51 PM

Sports Video Games as Therapy

Video games have certainly generated plenty of bad press in the past several years. With games such as Grand Theft Auto being the scapegoat as the cause of some violent crimes, it is good to get a reminder that video games aren't all that bad. Our very own Ray Delizo checks in today with a look at how sports video games are being used as a form of physical therapy.

Quote:

"Video games have been getting a bad rap for years. Parents have disdained and overlooked them as a waste of time and money; the mainstream media have run horror stories that talk about how video games cause violence and negative behavior in children. However, as bad as things seem, playing video games (sports in this case) have been shown to have a myriad of benefits. I know it may sound a little crazy, but playing these kinds of games offers people a lot more than just a pleasant way to pass the time. Sports gaming can be good for one’s health."

Freezer Boy 09-28-2008 03:10 PM

Nice article rdelizo. That was pretty interesting. I agree with using sports games to sometimes get out your frustration. A lot of times when I'm having a bad day it always cheers me up when I can play a game once I get home.

kenzil 09-28-2008 03:13 PM

great article. Interesting perspective.

The GIGGAS 10-19-2008 02:17 PM

Great article.

Darkheath 10-22-2008 02:05 AM

Nice article, Ray. I agree with most of your points, except this one:

" ...they often teach important lessons -- like the value of hard work, the merits of perseverance, and how to foster teamwork and gain self-confidence."

Now... granted, I see where they can do these things for people of good character, but the main problem I have with this statement is this word: "often". If you've frequented the GENERAL online sports gaming community, you'll realize how selfish a lot of these players are, teamwork NOT being a priority. Perserverance can be kicked out of the equation when you see how many people simply quit instead of trying to make a come back. And the only time these kids have any self-confidence is when they are running up the score late in a game.

Again... realize I am talking in very general terms, but we've all played these people. If you play often enough, you will find a group of people who enjoy the challenges of the game itself, win or lose. There's a certain type of person who will find those lessons you speak of, but another type of person will learn nothing and more than likely not even finish the game.

dave374 10-22-2008 02:09 AM

Re: Sports Video Games as Therapy

It's easy to blame videogames for the ills of society, but anyone who would gun down innocent people (Columbine) or anything like that is a psycho whether they play videogames or not.
I love clubbing cops with an aluminum bat in GTA. It doesn't mean I'm gonna do it in real life. OK, it depends on the cop, but you know where I'm going with this. :)

matt8204 10-22-2008 04:55 PM

Re: Sports Video Games as Therapy

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave374 (Post 2038841852)
It's easy to blame videogames for the ills of society, but anyone who would gun down innocent people (Columbine) or anything like that is a psycho whether they play videogames or not.
I love clubbing cops with an aluminum bat in GTA. It doesn't mean I'm gonna do it in real life. OK, it depends on the cop, but you know where I'm going with this. :)

Exactly. I might drive like a nut in GTA or even Gran Turismo, but in real life, I never go above the speed limit. Someone who can't distinguish between real life and fantasy has far bigger problems than simply playing an "inappropriate" video game.