Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Should the Sprint button be removed? (/forums/showthread.php?t=271541)

Joborule 09-30-2008 08:51 PM

Should the Sprint button be removed?

This is something I've been considering for a while since playing EA NHL. Is the sprint button very necessary in Madden? At first I thought so, but now I'm thinking more and more it may be not. Could the button itself be removed and replaced by a new player action?

Acceleration and running in general would be sensitive to the amount the left stick is pushed. 100% would make the player sprint 100%. 50% applied on the stick would make the run at 50% speed.

This is a very broad topic, so I'm interested in how many people think of the impact of this. Is it feasible?

kehlis 09-30-2008 08:55 PM

Re: Should the Sprint button be removed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joborule (Post 2038764413)
This is something I've been considering for a while since playing EA NHL. Is the sprint button very necessary in Madden? At first I thought so,but now I'm thinking more and more it may be not. Could the button itself be removed and replaced by a new player action?

Acceleration and running in general would be sensitive to the amount the left stick is pushed. 100% would make the player sprint 100%. 50% applied on the stick would make the run at 50% speed.

This is a very broad topic, so I'm interested in how many people think of the impact of this. Is it feasible?

I like the idea...I think for the most part when you are controlling the player and you have it pushed all way up (or sideways or down) you are holding the sprint as well...

For the most part, the only time you are NOT using the speed burst button is when you are the RB in the back field trying to find a hole...and that is mostly because it seems the defenders gravitate towards you...

I really like how NHL 09 does it as well...

Joborule 09-30-2008 10:25 PM

Heck, thinking of it more. Even juking can be pressure sensitive.

EVERYTHING CAN!! :D

RGiles36 09-30-2008 10:45 PM

I've been saying this since the last development cycle. I love the idea of eliminating the sprint button from sports games. But obviously, some gamers aren't as open to change and live by the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality.

When the community interaction started to take off, I questioned Ian about the possibility of removing the button for Madden 09. He mentioned that he had tried it during the dev cycle but there wasn't any time to perfect it (I believe that was his response :google:). I hope that he gives it another shot.

Redskins Pride 09-30-2008 10:47 PM

And it shouldn't just be like, OK, i'm sprinting now ... you gotta accelerate. Of course explosive players pretty much go to a full sprint but someone like Brandon Jacobs or Jamal Lewis would gain speed.

Likwidkewl 10-01-2008 12:13 AM

They need to remove the left stick juke too. Half of the problems people are having with the running game is because the left stick makes you do a weird hesitation/stutter step if you don't crank it forward right away. I have resorted to using the d-pad to run to alleviate the problem, but it would be nice if you could turn the left stick juke off.

Stroehms 10-01-2008 12:37 AM

I like it. Send this to Ian....zip...he's got. Get 'r done.

Exonerated 10-01-2008 07:19 AM

No way. Removing the sprint button is crazy!