Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL Head Coach (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Community feedback: is this a buy? (/forums/showthread.php?t=272271)

pike 10-04-2008 10:41 PM

Community feedback: is this a buy?

hi guys,

Just wondering if this game post patch Is a buy? I love stat sports sims, but just unsure about this game considering all the ba reviews out there. I value you guys opinion moreso than reviewers so thought I would ask!

Thanks!

TCF 10-04-2008 11:39 PM

Re: Community feedback: is this a buy?

yes buy the game. i have had it since before the patch and i love it. finally playing it with the patch. and still loving it.

pike 10-04-2008 11:59 PM

thanks for the feedback!

Purplepower 10-05-2008 12:00 AM

Depends on more than the patch. If you are more of a madden/ncaa type player....it isn't a good fit. But if you are more into the sim type stats...a must have.

TCF 10-05-2008 01:32 AM

yep that is true. but i still love playing ncaa over madden. but HC is the game i enjoy more than NCAA even.

pike 10-05-2008 02:39 AM

I love OOTP, text sims in general, so I thought this might be the 'holy grail' that Abner mentioned.

Thanks again guys!

sixtydashone 10-05-2008 03:09 AM

sounds to me like you'll like the game. I personally haven't even touched any of my other games ever since the patch came out. In fact I got this game with the Madden CE and Madden still hasnt even seen my disc tray yet. Once you get past the learning curve and you figure out how to keep your team from stinking, the game gets much more enjoyable imo.

Heshi 10-05-2008 06:05 AM

This game is not as good as it could and should be. There are nice ideas, but too many flaws gamplay-wise. You may know about the gamechanger feature, for example. The game will ask you to go for it on 4th and 7 on your own 26 yard line with 12:22 to go in the first quarter - because you're behind 3-0. Be unlucky, and three of these gamechangers make your approval drop below 50 despite a winning streak.

Many things have no effect on the game at all. If your media approval drops, just don't care about it. There is no media (interaction) in this game. Well, there is NFL Network. Adam Schefter keeps throwing information at you like "An NFL team is negotiating a new contract with one of its players", "The NFL offensive player of the year had an outstanding season", and more. The NFL world you live in never comes to life.

Same with player personalities. There are very detailed player personalities, but they hardly have any effect on the game. Besides contract negotiations and showing emotional reactions on game day, there's almost no interaction with your players at all. There are a couple more things in this game that pretend to be deep and challenging, but seem to be more like placebos.

Navigation just plain sucks. Example: If you enter negotiations with a free agent, you can not see his player card. You have to remember the FA's name, go into Rosters - Free Agents - look for him and check him out, then go back and enter negotiations if you still want to. Just one out of many examples.

The only idea that I really like is the scripted draft with handcrafted rookies and fake college seasons. That's different, and in my opinion a great idea.

All in all: This game is improvised. You see it everywhere. There are some good ideas, and this may go the right direction one day. People around OS love it because they have waited for such a game forever. But just the fact that it is the only one of its kind doesn't make it a great game. Compared to coaching sims in other sports, NFL Head Coach is way behind.