Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Sliders: I Don't Get It (/forums/showthread.php?t=274801)

RaychelSnr 10-16-2008 08:17 PM

Sliders: I Don't Get It

Some things in life are never meant to make sense. For our own Joey Arone, the obsession with sliders has never made sense to him. Be sure to read Joey's take in his article, Sliders: I Don't Get It, and then leave him some feedback!

Quote:

"I guess I just do not get it. Where does this incessant obsessive-compulsive need to fiddle with a bunch of sliders come from? Why are sliders mostly only in sports games and not other games? Why are sliders taken as seriously as politics and religion when it comes to some people?"

adembroski 10-16-2008 09:36 PM

Re: Sliders: I Don't Get It

Sliders appeared when developers realized they had another option to put in the users hands. I don't see why people who don't like them want to whine about them... don't use 'em! I will, and we'll both be happy.

As far as being a crutch... are you saying that in 1997, games were more realistic out of the box than they are now? Madden may have it's issues, but there are dozens of other examples of games that are peaking right now. Outside of American football and baseball, I don't remember a time when sports games were better.

allstar3970 10-16-2008 10:42 PM

i think you misunderstand how sliders are used.....sliders are used because out of the box the game is tuned to often be fun for the "average gamer" or 95% of the people who buy the game. This is often NOT realistic, but meant to be fast and arcade-like (especially in the case of say, NHL 09). So the developers give the other 5% (most here) the option to tune the game to their more realistic tastes. The reason why a game like say...Halo doesnt have a huge amount of sliders is because its not like any of us have experience fighting interstellar war so we can tune it right. We know how the sport is supposed to be; the developers dont set the defaults this way (i would assume on purpose...again for the masses, which is fine, they have to do what they have to do)

Horrible, completely uninformed article.

mgoblue 10-16-2008 10:54 PM

I don't get how "slider gurus" can play 4 games and automatically know enough to tweak a billion sliders, play one more game and then tweak again. Every individual game has so many unique moments due to chance that you really can't get a good baseline without a crazy amount of games.

Feel free to use sliders, I just feel it's a never-ending game and you just keep being frustrated that it's "not perfect" and "only 1 slider change away". I sometimes wonder if the hardcore slider guys even have fun with games or if they're too busy counting all the little things and bitching.

Trevytrev11 10-16-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoblue (Post 2038824762)
I don't get how "slider gurus" can play 4 games and automatically know enough to tweak a billion sliders, play one more game and then tweak again. Every individual game has so many unique moments due to chance that you really can't get a good baseline without a crazy amount of games.

Feel free to use sliders, I just feel it's a never-ending game and you just keep being frustrated that it's "not perfect" and "only 1 slider change away". I sometimes wonder if the hardcore slider guys even have fun with games or if they're too busy counting all the little things and bitching.

It's because if you see their name enough times with sliders, you will just assume they are a guru. I love the fact that people have slider versions 2.1.0.1A....obviously if it took you this many versions to get them right, you didn't quite know what you were doing the first 50 times.

It's kind of like developers these days. They put out a set to get it out and then tweak it for a month until it's right instead of just waiting a month to put it out.

bsb13 10-17-2008 03:55 AM

"Too lazy to put in the effort to excel in the game as it was designed"

Its just the total opposite for me a lot of times. I find most games to be too easy in certain aspects and I need sliders to the make the game more of a challenge. Like MLB The Show for example....hitting is too freaking easy in that game even on the HOF level, and even with sliders adjustments, the game is still a little too easy.

No challenge = No fun

Laettner32 10-17-2008 07:53 AM

Pish Posh! Flimshaw! I'm 37 and in my day we didn't have no stinking sliders Mr! I would spot the CPU in Ken Griffey Baseball 3 runs and play the game to make it competitive! In Double Dribble...I spotted the CPU 30 points! And you know what? It worked and we liked it! Kids today and their "wahhh!! the rebounding isn't accurate for the CPU!" Fiddlesticks! In the golden years of Madden.. I would only attempt 1 bomb in the 1st half, and no more than 2 in the 2nd! Jiminy Crickets!

Padgoi 10-17-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laettner32 (Post 2038825608)
Pish Posh! Flimshaw! I'm 37 and in my day we didn't have no stinking sliders Mr! I would spot the CPU in Ken Griffey Baseball 3 runs and play the game to make it competitive! In Double Dribble...I spotted the CPU 30 points! And you know what? It worked and we liked it! Kids today and their "wahhh!! the rebounding isn't accurate for the CPU!" Fiddlesticks! In the golden years of Madden.. I would only attempt 1 bomb in the 1st half, and no more than 2 in the 2nd! Jiminy Crickets!

Fortunately, most gamers nowadays don't want to have to "dumb-down" in order for the game to be competitive. And I say fortunately because this has pretty much forced game developers to make more realistic games in an effort to turn a profit.