Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Everytime I Get On The "Ian" Bandwagon, I Remember Something. (/forums/showthread.php?t=276030)

StonesRunIt 10-24-2008 03:21 PM

Everytime I Get On The "Ian" Bandwagon, I Remember Something.

I love the fact that Ian has come the to community and given us all a sense of hope. He seems very genuine, and critical or previous madden incarnations. Ian hears our complaints and for the most part lets it bounce off his skin ( although lately seems his tough skin is gettin a lil softer).

However i fear the implementation of the many things we have all asked for and have been told will be addressed because of one thing, his praise of the Madden 09 gang-tackling system.

I mean Ian co-signed this to the high heavens and even claimed that it was the same if not better than what was in the "other game".

This couldn't be further from reality, there are a limited number of tackles overall, the gang-tackling in the game aren't 'true' and vary from warp speed to predictably inorganic.

The offense has the ability to break out of most tackles while the defense doesn't have the ability to add on to most tackles, one sided. I hate watching my defenders fly by as and offensive player struggles and eventually breaks a tackle.

There have been many times when i have been playing a game and the hand-full of gang-tackles has irritated me beyond belief. Often it happens when i am going for a hitstick on a player to hopefully stop his forward progress and i some how get taken into a gang-tackle that is not only physically inaccurate but beneficial to the offensive player ( God i wish i had a vid).

Basically Ian's confidence in such a horrible implementation has me questioning his standard. I wonder what else will be far from what is promised yet he has confidence in.

cdon2k 10-24-2008 03:25 PM

Re: Everytime I Get On The "Ian" Bandwagon, I Remember Something.

Im done with 09, with Fable and Saints Row 2 (lol) out, I am done with forcing myself to like a game. I ordered a transfer cable for "the other game", but with no online, I can't see myself playing that much either:(

Football and basketball have just generally let me down this gen and I am questioning why I even play these games...

StonesRunIt 10-24-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdon2k (Post 2038849450)
Im done with 09, with Fable and Saints Row 2 (lol) out, I am done with forcing myself to like a game. I ordered a transfer cable for "the other game", but with no online, I can't see myself playing that much either:(

Football and basketball have just generally let me down this gen and I am questioning why I even play these games...

I feel ya, but for me it has been more of the football letting me down than the basketball, altho NBA 2k9's points in the paint are trying my patience, but thats another story.

TDKing 10-24-2008 06:03 PM

It doesn't really matter now, they already got your 60 bucks :wink:
Mission accomplished.

SoxFan01605 10-24-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonesRunIt (Post 2038849438)
I love the fact that Ian has come the to community and given us all a sense of hope. He seems very genuine, and critical or previous madden incarnations. Ian hears our complaints and for the most part lets it bounce off his skin ( although lately seems his tough skin is gettin a lil softer).

However i fear the implementation of the many things we have all asked for and have been told will be addressed because of one thing, his praise of the Madden 09 gang-tackling system.

I mean Ian co-signed this to the high heavens and even claimed that it was the same if not better than what was in the "other game".

This couldn't be further from reality, there are a limited number of tackles overall, the gang-tackling in the game aren't 'true' and vary from warp speed to predictably inorganic.

The offense has the ability to break out of most tackles while the defense doesn't have the ability to add on to most tackles, one sided. I hate watching my defenders fly by as and offensive player struggles and eventually breaks a tackle.

There have been many times when i have been playing a game and the hand-full of gang-tackles has irritated me beyond belief. Often it happens when i am going for a hitstick on a player to hopefully stop his forward progress and i some how get taken into a gang-tackle that is not only physically inaccurate but beneficial to the offensive player ( God i wish i had a vid).

Basically Ian's confidence in such a horrible implementation has me questioning his standard. I wonder what else will be far from what is promised yet he has confidence in.

I think what was determined by numerous back and forth discussions on the topic was that the system was actually in some ways better than 2K, but the animations set it back significantly. I recall Ian backing off his original claim with one more along those lines. Add in the fact that they really didn't remove the "old" animations and you get pretty spotty representation.

I've actually had more instances of what felt like "true gang" tackling in this game, but it gets convoluted with the often times rediculous "clean-up" type hits (like the spear tackle into the Peter Griffen like colapse). I think it's more an indictment on the animation system than the gang tackling logic itself. I could be wrong though.

roadman 10-24-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonesRunIt (Post 2038849438)

I thought Ian's last stand on this was 2k did some things right and wrong and EA has done some thigs right and wrong.

StonesRunIt 10-24-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadman (Post 2038849948)
I thought Ian's last stand on this was 2k did some things right and wrong and EA has done some thigs right and wrong.

Yea, Ian did comeback after it was all said and done and said that Maddens system didnt quite surpass the "other games", but it took some convincing. But my issue is that after 2 games i saw the system for what it was, and after having inside access to the game he couldnt see its short comings until many members pointed them out and challenged its abilities

I guess u could say that i have a problem with how much it took to show him the error, and how that may reoccur ( hopefully not) with another aspect of the game in the future.

And i would like to know what you all feel is revoulutionary about the 09 gangtackling, no need for a comparison for fear of a war, but i would like to hear that point from a few people.

Ian_Cummings 10-24-2008 07:43 PM

Just to defend myself a little bit - remember my main point was that we have the "exact same implementation" as 2k's. By implementation, I meant that you could "add on" and change the direction of a tackle...not just "steal" a tackle. I personally don't feel I've come in here touting and selling ANYTHING...if you all feel differently then let me know. I'm not a marketing guy.

And I did admit (without a doubt) that we didn't have the animation variety that they did...