Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Extending the career (/forums/showthread.php?t=277909)

eraserx13 11-06-2008 11:19 PM

Extending the career

So I just finished the 2014 season and noticed in the following offseason, Brian Urlacher retires at the ripe old age of 37 which is common for elite MLBs (at least in the Madden world). Since I was alittle upset that he did not make the Hall of Fame (which is flawed to begin with since guys like Brian Griese and Brad Johnson made it in despite mediocre careers), I tried to prevent him from retiring so he can get the needed stats. I noticed that elite DTs retire 2 years later so I reloaded my last saved frachise to the end of 2014 and changed Urlacher from MLB to DT while maintaining his high 90's OVR. Then, I proceeded into the offseason and bam, Urlacher was no longe on the retirement list. I then switched him back to MLB from DT.

So if you want to prevent a player from retiring, ie Brett Favre after 2008, switch him to either a Kicker or Punter before the end of the season. Of course, he would no longer be considered elite with a 12 OVR rating. However, before you start a franchise, manually increase Favre's kicking ratings in your roster file which will give him elite status as a kicker while not effecting his play as a QB. Then when the next season starts again, switch Favre back to QB. My guess is that his career can go into his early 40's. =)

cedwebb 11-06-2008 11:28 PM

Re: Extending the career

Thats an interesting way to go about it..Would have never thought of that. That just brings me to one of my biggest gripes about the franchise in its current state. There is no negotiating with older players, no throwing money at them to get them to play another year. Heck, I think it would be awsome to have a pool where players go after they retire and if you so desire you can throw money at them to entice them out of retirement. In some cases they would come out just to play on a championship caliber team. Would really add to the depth on the franchise mode. Nice work around though!

Bballplaya72 11-10-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedwebb (Post 2038885906)
Thats an interesting way to go about it..Would have never thought of that. That just brings me to one of my biggest gripes about the franchise in its current state. There is no negotiating with older players, no throwing money at them to get them to play another year. Heck, I think it would be awsome to have a pool where players go after they retire and if you so desire you can throw money at them to entice them out of retirement. In some cases they would come out just to play on a championship caliber team. Would really add to the depth on the franchise mode. Nice work around though!

Beaaautiful idea. I would love this implemented in the game.

Say you're a few years into the franchise. It's midway through the season and you lose your star TE for the season.

You throw 8 million at Tony Gonzalez to come out of retirement and try to get a ring with your team.

I think this would be a great improvement.

SoxFan01605 11-10-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bballplaya72 (Post 2038895019)
Beaaautiful idea. I would love this implemented in the game.

Say you're a few years into the franchise. It's midway through the season and you lose your star TE for the season.

You throw 8 million at Tony Gonzalez to come out of retirement and try to get a ring with your team.

I think this would be a great improvement.

There's something like this in HC. It's based on the players personality, the coach/GM's ability in this area, etc. It would be great to see it expanded on and included in Madden. Seriously, if they just ripped off the franchise features from HC for Madden, the game would get far less criticism on the immersion end, at least in terms of franchise mode.

BDKiiing 11-10-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedwebb (Post 2038885906)

u mean there will be more than one vinny testaverde? haha

cgalligan 11-11-2008 03:33 AM

wait? are you able to change a players position while in franchise mode???

how do i do this???...

i mean, can i turn a CB into a WR, i did not know this was possible...

Bballplaya72 11-18-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgalligan (Post 2038896206)
wait? are you able to change a players position while in franchise mode???

how do i do this???...

i mean, can i turn a CB into a WR, i did not know this was possible...

Yeah, just go into player management, edit player, then change their position.