Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   All Pro Football 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Where would you put one DT? (/forums/showthread.php?t=278606)

slthree 11-12-2008 05:27 PM

Where would you put one DT?

If I wanted to go with Manley and Sal, how would I align them? Tell me from the point of view of the Quarterback looking at the DL.

Manley DT1 DT2 DE
QB

Thanks

NFLHITMAN 11-12-2008 05:46 PM

Re: Where would you put one DT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slthree (Post 2038900834)
If I wanted to go with Manley and Sal, how would I align them? Tell me from the point of view of the Quarterback looking at the DL.

Manley DT1 DT2 DE
QB

Thanks

If your talking about a DT than you should put him in 2nd on your depth chart. At the 2nd spot in depth chart he will see a lot more 1 on 1 than double teams. This game for some reason will double the 1st DT on the line. I have did an experiment where I put a Gold DT next to a generic and the generic would get Doubled almost every play even with a Randy White next to him.

kcarr 11-13-2008 12:27 AM

in real life you want to stack the right side of your DL normally because that is the QBs blindside for right handed QBs who are the majority.

In video games however it is generally more benificial to stack the left side of your line or in other words

RE DT Sal Manley
QB

This is partially because the gaming logic causes CPU teams to stack their left side of their OLine. This will give Sal and Manley more mismatches. Sure your generics will get beat more against teams with good linemen but you should get much more constant pressure with just 2 bronze star players.

Also, CPU blocking schemes concentrate on stopping the right side of your DLine so moving them to the left will cause more 1 on 1 situations.

One last advantage is that rolling out to the right, especially to throw, is way easier than rolling to the left. Therefore pressuring from the right side of the offense will create more unescapable pressure.

RogueHominid 11-13-2008 08:17 AM

You can put them wherever you want and get production. The key is switching up your line calls and flipping your plays from time to time. A default play call will cause your RDT (left side from the offensive point of view) to be doubled most plays, but if you flip the play, your other DT will draw the double team because the alignment is shifted.

For the base call, if you put Manley at LDE (right side of the offensive line), you have to make sure you don't just call base fronts. That will cause him to just crash the inside shoulder of the tackle all the time, not work the edge, and you want him doing the latter a fair bit. Take a look at the line calls and choose ones that put him in the right spot for the play you are anticipating.

My general rule is to play guys where they played IRL, so I'd put Manley at LDE and then just make sure I made line calls that allowed him to get into the action.

slthree 11-13-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Man (Post 2038902418)
You can put them wherever you want and get production. The key is switching up your line calls and flipping your plays from time to time. A default play call will cause your RDT (left side from the offensive point of view) to be doubled most plays, but if you flip the play, your other DT will draw the double team because the alignment is shifted.

For the base call, if you put Manley at LDE (right side of the offensive line), you have to make sure you don't just call base fronts. That will cause him to just crash the inside shoulder of the tackle all the time, not work the edge, and you want him doing the latter a fair bit. Take a look at the line calls and choose ones that put him in the right spot for the play you are anticipating.

My general rule is to play guys where they played IRL, so I'd put Manley at LDE and then just make sure I made line calls that allowed him to get into the action.

Good stuff Troj,

if you put Manley at LDE, would you keep Sal at the 2nd DT spot, thus having them paired next to each other?

RogueHominid 11-13-2008 02:16 PM

You know, it all depends on what you have around them. Most people run to the strong side, so that would give you an excellent base, but you'll also see a lot of counters to the weak side, and you'll need to shut those down by manually controlling one of your linebackers. Alternatively, you can put a run stuffing LB on the weak side.

If you do stack them, I'd recommend working on your DL and LB manual control so you can recognize and leverage blocking schemes with your generics. I've found that this really helps your overall defense. Generics play okay when controlled by the AI, but they play much better when you use them to do the grunt work necessary to free your legends up.

If you choose not to stack them, just make sure you alternate calls enough to have one or the other shooting a gap, working the edge, or whatever most of the time, and try to alternate so you give both ample opportunity to disrupt blocking schemes.

asu666 11-13-2008 04:23 PM

Split him off of your DE or switch to the 3-4 and crunch your DL in before the play to force the run to the outside. If you blitz off the edge or keep your OLBs in open space the other team's run game will be contained.