Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Advice stopping the run (/forums/showthread.php?t=279282)

eason24 11-18-2008 11:56 AM

Advice stopping the run

i am going to play my brother tonight for the NC in our online dynasty. i have only played him one other time for the NC and he won because i could not stop his running game.
First let me say this is the 4 yr in our dynasty and my defense is starting to take shape but is young. my outside lb are good but my middle lb sucks. my line is ok and i am pretty deep on the secondary.

For my brother, he has a very fast RB (96 speed).
for the past 2 seasons he running back has had 283 284 283 carries (playing 5 min qrts)
What he did last timed we played is ran a dive play (in the big formation) and start right and if that was closed up, he would reverse field and take off left.
my guys just could not keep up.

i am thinking of running the 3-3-5 defense.

Any help/suggestions would be is welcomed

thanks

Slimshoom 11-18-2008 12:30 PM

Re: Advice stopping the run

The 3-3-5 defense would help you with stopping the run, especially because of the improved speed on the field. Have a blitz heavy defense scheme, and even if you dont have a blitz called try to stack the box with as many defenders you can afford.

trayeight 11-18-2008 02:02 PM

Are you hot routing your d-line? I would mix up pinching/slanting the line and force the run to bounce out to your SS's, if you are going to play a 3-3-5.

eason24 11-18-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayeight (Post 2038916473)
Are you hot routing your d-line? I would mix up pinching/slanting the line and force the run to bounce out to your SS's, if you are going to play a 3-3-5.

thanks i will try that.

Also last game i controlled the FS, is that a good idea or should i control a lineman?

trayeight 11-18-2008 02:23 PM

There's a lot of different opinions on this, but I always control the NT. I run a 34 defense, and I feel that it allows me to be a true 2-gap NT, while also being able to help on rollouts and screens.

WarrickNole 11-18-2008 03:23 PM

any guess on how to stop Trindon Holliday? they just run side to side or do a damn HB direct snap...or if you commit to run...boom! PA to the HB in the flat...uhggggg

trayeight 11-18-2008 03:36 PM

The last guy I played who was killing me with passes to Trindon Holliday, I play him in a Nickel Strong Cover 2, which is in the 43 Playbook, and it gave me an extra defender out in the flats. Right now I use the Nickel 2-4-5 (in the 34 playbook) which puts your OLBs as stand-up DEs. That defense is deadly, and puts a ton of speed on the field, yet keeps it solid up the middle with 2 DTs, unlike the 1-5-5.

What's your base defense?

Bucksfan7 11-18-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eason24 (Post 2038916510)
thanks i will try that.

Also last game i controlled the FS, is that a good idea or should i control a lineman?

I also control the FS most of the time, the one i recruited in my Toledo OD turned out to be a stud. I lead the nation in tackles controlling him. But anyways depending on the offensive formation the user is running with i try to get as much speed on the field as possible(dime and nickel packages or even 4-2-5).

If you have a fast MLB you can control him too and stop the run. I played a guy the other day in our OD and he had a fast MLB and pretty much held my running game in check(and i lead the nation in rush offense).