Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   unintentional red-shirting? (/forums/showthread.php?t=281548)

pjpants 12-03-2008 12:01 PM

unintentional red-shirting?

i have made promising no red-shirt first year on campus a habit in my online dynasty. i do this to improve my coaching integrity in hopes that my promises will hold more weight ect. i play with uab in a con usa league and im in '12. it took me this long to start getting some descent recruits. the other day i was looking at my roster trying to plug holes with an athlete and i noticed that alot of the kids i promised no red-shirt to ended up getting red-shirted even though i never actually did red-shirt them. i have a few ideas but this post is long enough already so... whats going on with that? anybody know? am i just crazy?

dkrause1971 12-03-2008 12:04 PM

Re: unintentional red-shirting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjpants (Post 2038960995)
i have made promising no red-shirt first year on campus a habit in my online dynasty. i do this to improve my coaching integrity in hopes that my promises will hold more weight ect. i play with uab in a con usa league and im in '12. it took me this long to start getting some descent recruits. the other day i was looking at my roster trying to plug holes with an athlete and i noticed that alot of the kids i promised no red-shirt to ended up getting red-shirted even though i never actually did red-shirt them. i have a few ideas but this post is long enough already so... whats going on with that? anybody know? am i just crazy?

You probably just didn't play them, so they count as redshirts.

pjpants 12-03-2008 12:15 PM

ah so im just a ding bat. if i put them in during garbage time, or just have one game were i run through the roster before i get back to the starters will it not red-shirt them? also do you think that its hurting my integrity as a coach that im ending up red-shirting them? i ended up cutting most of them once i got better recruits but oh well...

Squeezee12 12-03-2008 07:57 PM

ya any player that doesnt play a single down for a season gets automatically red-shirted. So just remember who you promised and get them in one play and you will be good.

TrevJo 12-03-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeezee12 (Post 2038962486)
ya any player that doesnt play a single down for a season gets automatically red-shirted. So just remember who you promised and get them in one play and you will be good.

In real life I believe if they just play a down then they lose their redshirt status.

However in the game I think they actually have to record a stat. If you put a guy in for a few downs and he doesn't record a stat I don't think the game has any way to track that he actually got playing time, and I think he will still end up counting as a redshirt.

There are (or were) some other bugs too. In NCAA 08 I had a good freshman CB redshirting all year (had lots of depth at the position), but suffered a lot of injuries late and in the middle of my last game I had to put him in. He recorded several tackles and a pick but when the game was over he was still listed as a redshirt, and sure enough the next season he was a redshirt freshman. Worked out pretty well for me in that case, because I got to use him when I needed to, and he even progressed a bit, and he still had 4 more years of eligibility after that. But in most cases it would probably be a bad thing for a player to redshirt unexpectedly. I think to be safe you need to 1. put the guy on your depth chart prior to a game and 2. make sure he records a stat.

I have a true freshman QB who I promised no redshirt this season, just played my last game. He was on my depth chart all year and I put him in for 2 games, but his only stats are 2 carries for -10 yards, 1 sack, and 1 incompletion; I'll update and let you know if he becomes a sophomore as expected or if I get screwed and he counts as a redshirt.

ftball11 12-03-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrause1971 (Post 2038961007)
You probably just didn't play them, so they count as redshirts.

I have run into this glitch myself. The player has to get a stat, otherwise the program will automatically redshirt him. I had a season where I promised no redshirts to several recruits. I made sure to play each player I had promised in mopup situations - most played in 3 or 4 games. However, at the end of the year I had three recruits who wanted to transfer because I broke my promise, and although they stayed, all three were classified as FR(RS). I was dumbfounded until I went into Career Stats and noticed, of the three players who wanted to transfer, even though they had played several downs, none had a stat. The "no redshirt" promise has a glitch in it, just like the "playing time" promise. I try not to make any promises now unless I have to.

ChiSox05 12-03-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevJo (Post 2038962622)
In real life I believe if they just play a down then they lose their redshirt status.

However in the game I think they actually have to record a stat. If you put a guy in for a few downs and he doesn't record a stat I don't think the game has any way to track that he actually got playing time, and I think he will still end up counting as a redshirt.

There are (or were) some other bugs too. In NCAA 08 I had a good freshman CB redshirting all year (had lots of depth at the position), but suffered a lot of injuries late and in the middle of my last game I had to put him in. He recorded several tackles and a pick but when the game was over he was still listed as a redshirt, and sure enough the next season he was a redshirt freshman. Worked out pretty well for me in that case, because I got to use him when I needed to, and he even progressed a bit, and he still had 4 more years of eligibility after that. But in most cases it would probably be a bad thing for a player to redshirt unexpectedly. I think to be safe you need to 1. put the guy on your depth chart prior to a game and 2. make sure he records a stat.

I have a true freshman QB who I promised no redshirt this season, just played my last game. He was on my depth chart all year and I put him in for 2 games, but his only stats are 2 carries for -10 yards, 1 sack, and 1 incompletion; I'll update and let you know if he becomes a sophomore as expected or if I get screwed and he counts as a redshirt.

yah 08 had a glitch were you could redshirt a play and then during the game sub him in and he still wouldn't lose his redshirt status.

thelasthurtknee 12-04-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevJo (Post 2038962622)

ive seen this also. i redshirted a guy preseason and then put him in the depth chart before week one. he didnt lose his redshirt and progressed about two points a week. was a 97 at the end of his freshman year and still had a redshirt. was in a OD also. must of been the way or the order of how i did it. never seen it again but i never tried to duplicate it. still have that file saved from the end of that season. it was all awarness gains.