Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Go Big, Go Fast or Go Home (/forums/showthread.php?t=281563)

rudyjuly2 12-03-2008 01:30 PM

Go Big, Go Fast or Go Home

My wide receivers aren’t good enough. They are the one position that’s going to cost me the national championship in my 6th season at Colorado. I had recruited two 5* recruits in the same year. They came in rated fairly high at 81 and 80. They are 86 and 85 in their second year with one starting and the other the slot receiver. The problem is, they don’t make any big plays.

Both receivers have mediocre size and speed. One is 5’ 10” while the other 6’. Their speeds are rated 91 and 90. They aren’t big or fast and I can’t hit a deep pass if my life depended on it. The cpu can dare me to complete one and it just won’t happen.

I had a juco 5* recruit earlier in my dynasty (years three and four) and this kid was a monster. He was tall (6’ 5”), fast (speed 95+), great hands (95+) and set records in his senior year. I’ve never done a good job of getting the ball to my receivers but this guy had almost 1400 yards and about 12 TDs on the year. I really miss him and you can see one of my deep balls to him in my video section here. http://www.osatwork.com/rudyjuly2/vi...aa-highlights/

From now on I’m only recruiting receivers that are fast or tall and preferably both. Five stars be damned! I want and need the occasional big play to get me over the hump.

Slimshoom 12-03-2008 01:40 PM

Re: Go Big, Go Fast or Go Home

I generally go for tall, big wide receivers over speedy ones. I run to the outside a lot, so I need big receivers who can easily block the cornerbacks and at least slow down the linebackers. Also, I throw a lot of wide receiver screens and routes over the middle, as opposed to ones deep down the field. Usually the only time when I throw a bomb will be when someone is wide stinkin' open. Ive also been known to put tight ends in the slot to catch passes over the middle and not drop the ball.

stewaat 12-03-2008 02:13 PM

Speed = everything

I wish it weren't that way

fistofrage 12-03-2008 02:24 PM

Recruiting solely based on speed entirely ruins the game. You'll be able to pick up some 2* guys with blazing speed and win every game easily, especially if you don't have the sliders jacked up in the AI's favor.

Don't go down that route. Our online dynasty has a rule that you have to start the higher rated players so recruiting low* speed guys won't help you out alot.

Solidice 12-03-2008 02:28 PM

I usually recruit somewhere in between. i rarely get those A+ speed WRs, and slow(B and below) WRs just don't work. I normally try and recruit WRs who are no shorter than 6'0", and no slower than 89(89-94 range for speed is what my typical WR is for my OD with TTU). my best WR post-Crabtree era was/is Roger Hodges who is 6'5" 205+ lbs 94 or 95 speed WR. he also happens to have good jump ability, which makes him good for jump balls(I never user catch).

InspectahDeck 12-03-2008 03:00 PM

I tend to only recruit fast WR's early 4.29 or lower. I go through all the WR's from 5-3 stars and ATH 5-3 stars and decide who I want to go after. I will get the WR's I want hopefully then later in the year week 5 week 10 or going into the pre season I will look to fill my board again with WR's who are not as fast still very good players but not game breakers. My Miami OD second year is this way and no one can contain my offense. I love to put 2 WR's out there with my Juco ATH TE who is just a monster. My WR's and TE..

Terrence Wilson 6'3 176 ATH-WR FR- 77OVR 92SPD 88AGI 90ACC
Christian Jackson 6'2 178 WR FR- 73OVR 94SPD 86AGI 95ACC
Chris Winston 5'11 191 WR FR- 83OVR 86SPD 93AGI 92ACC
Ricky Suber 6'3 166 ATH-TE JucoJr- 78OVR 92SPD 98AGI 95ACC

I missed out on a lot of WR's this year because I have 3 freshman WR's seeing action but I did get one kid so far. I have another ATH that i'm leading for that will be a future TE replacement for Suber.

Will Harris 6'2 160 WR Recruit- A+SPD A+AGI A+ACC A-JMP A-ELU ranked the 26th best WR 4.20 40. :google:

David Spinner 6'2 189 ATH-TE Recruit- A-SPD B+AGI A-ACC 4.29 40

Jive_Turkey 12-03-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewaat (Post 2038961402)
Speed = everything

I wish it weren't that way

That so freaking true WAY TO MUCH EMPHASIS ON SPEED.

ftball11 12-03-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyjuly2 (Post 2038961260)
From now on I’m only recruiting receivers that are fast or tall and preferably both. Five stars be damned! I want and need the occasional big play to get me over the hump.

I never recruit based soley on a players ranking. I look for the attributes that fit into my system. The players in this game are rated based upon all the attributes, when in fact only 3 or 4 attributes are related to the position they play. If you break down their attributes, you will be suprise how many studs you will find in the 2 and 3 * pool.