Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Sports Gaming (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Mass Effect 2 (/forums/showthread.php?t=287404)

Altimus 01-08-2009 12:47 PM

Mass Effect 2

Even though not officially announced, I think we all know it is coming.

Quote:

Though the game has yet to be formally announced (much less as part of a trilogy), BioWare's Mass Effect 2 is set to feature in a 60-minute lecture at 2009's Game Developers Conference, due to be held at the end of March in San Francisco. BioWare project manager, Corey Andruko, and lead technical designer Dusty Everman will treat attendees to a discussion of the EA-owned developer's "new level-creation process, which is focused on maximizing iteration for quality while minimizing rework and cost."

The duo will also discuss the level design lessons learned from the planet-hopping RPG's development -- and how those have led to improvements in the sequel. We imagine at least some of the talk will be focused on the benefits of disabling the "ctrl" and "c" keys on office workstations.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/08/bi...ign-at-gdc-09/

I'm hoping GDC announcement, E3 screen/gameplay and fall release?

Cyros 01-08-2009 01:38 PM

Re: Mass Effect 2

Could be a big year for Bioware.

Dragon Age in Spring for PC
Mass Effect 2 in Fall (hopefully)
Dragon Age in Fall for consoles

jfsolo 01-08-2009 01:55 PM

If they've found a cost effective way to create lots of variation in the level design and maintaining a high level of quality, then that will be a great boon for them and us as gamers.

I think most of us can agree that the repetitive environments was by far the biggest weakness of ME 1.

My gut tells me that we won't see ME 2 during the 2009 calendar year.

bkfount 01-08-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfsolo (Post 2039062702)
If they've found a cost effective way to create lots of variation in the level design and maintaining a high level of quality, then that will be a great boon for them and us as gamers.

I think most of us can agree that the repetitive environments was by far the biggest weakness of ME 1.

My gut tells me that we won't see ME 2 during the 2009 calendar year.

I agree. While having all the various planets to travel to was a cool concept, it sucked in execution. All of the planets that had nothing to do with any side story were all the same. I'm sure the 360 and DVD takes some of the blame for that though.

It would be perfect if they could have this ready by the holidays, but I doubt it.

Altimus 01-08-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkfount (Post 2039062757)
I agree. While having all the various planets to travel to was a cool concept, it sucked in execution. All of the planets that had nothing to do with any side story were all the same randomly generated terrain crap with minerals to mine or data to gather. It got boring, and you had to ride around in the POS Mako.

It would be perfect if they could have this ready by the holidays, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I would love to see fall 2009 but I think fall 2010 is a better target date because of the story and work it takes to make a game like this.

As far missions, I agree. The buildings and maps were really similar and got boring, sometimes was okay though. I thought worse part was as mentioned navigation. Mako + a mountain/rocky terrain = doom for all. Driving is one thing but I hated being bounced around and going up mountains. And sometimes a planet would just be one huge mountain.

sportsdude 01-08-2009 02:38 PM

I would like to see more major decisions like the one included at the end of the first one involving the council.

I'd also like to see your status (paragon/renegade) play more of a role in how people talk to you and possibly even which missions are available to you.

mgoblue 01-08-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altimus (Post 2039062771)
Yeah, I would love to see fall 2009 but I think fall 2010 is a better target date because of the story and work it takes to make a game like this.

As far missions, I agree. The buildings and maps were really similar and got boring, sometimes was okay though. I thought worse part was as mentioned navigation. Mako + a mountain/rocky terrain = doom for all. Driving is one thing but I hated being bounced around and going up mountains. And sometimes a planet would just be one huge mountain.

I agree with you guys, also I'd like more variety in planet level designs...it got damn tiring going into the same type of bunker time and time again...Make some new skins, etc.

goh 01-08-2009 04:49 PM

The end of the first doesn't save after your last descions so I wonder how that'll work.

Also wonder if it'll be on the PS3 now too.