Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Video Quality - PS2 (/forums/showthread.php?t=288343)

jupebox 01-13-2009 01:14 PM

Video Quality - PS2

Hey, Guys --

I was trying out Madden '09 for the first time on my PS2. (I am a PC gamer who just bought a PS2 for my son and I.) Anyways, I am used to really crisp graphics on a computer monitor, but I noticed some of the edges of the graphics on my TV had some kind of distortion. It is difficult to describe, but hopefully you know what I mean.

What is the cause of that? Would I have better luck using an s-video cable?

Any help would be great.

joel

kbuckley 01-13-2009 01:23 PM

Re: Video Quality - PS2

S-video or component cables might help...

stolf1 01-13-2009 03:53 PM

I'm not sure if this is your problem but the PS2 has anti-lasing (un clear images). It just they way the system is at times a great system but that was an issue since the day it came out.

jupebox 01-13-2009 04:09 PM

On second thought, a more accurate description is this...

Everything is clear (especially still photos) when displaying the PS2 on my TV. Lines on an angle, however, have this weird effect. The lines don't move, but their is a wavy pattern in the lines.

I'm sure someone else has had this problem. I just don't know if it's my TV, the PS2, or the settings.

- joel

jupebox 01-13-2009 04:13 PM

I found another website (without any answers) that describes a similar problem:

Wavy lines on SD TV picture from Xbox 360 and PS2?

Last week I started noticing a sort of slight distortion in the picture on my Magnavox SD TV when I used my Xbox 360 or my old PS2. The distortion is like small transparent horizontal wavy lines that sort of roll up the TV screen. Sometimes I don't notice them or can't see them at all. Other times I can't help but see them.

jupebox 01-13-2009 05:11 PM

Maybe it is an s-video issue? I think my problem might be "dot crawl" or "crawling edges."

------------------------------------

The real benefit of an S-video connection is that it can reduce dot crawl, hanging dots, and crawling edges that appear on the vertical and horizontal edges (respectively) of some colored objects in the picture. [more]

S VIDEO, originally known as "Y/C Separated video", is one of the higher quality ways to transmit the television signal from a peripheral device (DVD player, PlayStation 2, whatever) to a television. The way S-Video works is that it basically separates the color information (Chrominance) from the brightness (Luminance). By doing this, it reduces things like color bleeding and dot crawl and greatly increases the general clarity and sharpness of the picture. The reason that this is so is that televisions are designed to display separate Luminance (Y) and Chrominance (C) signals.