Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   will coordinators ever be elected in the hall of fame (/forums/showthread.php?t=288394)

grunt 01-13-2009 05:15 PM

will coordinators ever be elected in the hall of fame

They have so much impact on the game should they get consideration?

SPTO 01-13-2009 05:23 PM

Re: will coordinators ever be elected in the hall of fame

I would love to see that happen especially with the way the game is today where coordinators have as much or sometimes more to do with a team's success then the head coaches at times.

Unfortunately I don't see it happening. Two guys at the top of my head that would get in if they did put coordinators in the HOF would be Ernie Zampese (more or less the architect along with Don Coryell of the Air Coryell scheme. A scheme which was employed by the Greatest Show on Turf Rams) and Buddy Ryan (do I need to explain more?)

grunt 01-13-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2039080327)
I would love to see that happen especially with the way the game is today where coordinators have as much or sometimes more to do with a team's success then the head coaches at times.

Unfortunately I don't see it happening. Two guys at the top of my head that would get in if they did put coordinators in the HOF would be Ernie Zampese (more or less the architect along with Don Coryell of the Air Coryell scheme. A scheme which was employed by the Greatest Show on Turf Rams) and Buddy Ryan (do I need to explain more?)

The hate for Buddy is so strong that his chances is nill but someone like Jimmy Johnson, Crennel, and the Steelere coordinator deserve some type of recognition.

SPTO 01-13-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunt (Post 2039080338)
The hate for Buddy is so strong that his chances is nill but someone like Jimmy Johnson, Crennel, and the Steelere coordinator deserve some type of recognition.

Crennel? eh, I'd swap him out in favor of Floyd Peters who more or less invented/popularized the cloud formation for the Vikings in the mid '80s.

TMSkillz3000 01-13-2009 05:40 PM

Dick Lebeau, but probably as a player instead.

ProfessaPackMan 01-13-2009 06:20 PM

Dick LeBeau will deserve some consideration if this ever does happen.

What about Norv Turner? Or would he have to go in as a HC? Same with Martz?

Exonerated 01-14-2009 10:19 AM

The Headcoach and coordinators are some of the most important people in a franchise.

And these guys are getting paid less than 1mil and less than 2 mil a season.

But you slot receiver gets paid 4mil a season, and you're backup LT gets paid 3 mil a season.

Coaches are already underappreciated. ANd coordinators even more so.

Until coordinator paychecks go up, they won't be elected to the hall.

J.R. Locke 01-15-2009 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMSkillz3000 (Post 2039080389)
Dick Lebeau, but probably as a player instead.

He should be there already. There was a great article in the NYT the other week about LeBeau. Defensive guru who should be in there as a innovator too.