Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Recuiting House Rules Regarding 4 and 5 star recruits (/forums/showthread.php?t=288809)

JayFarrar 01-15-2009 02:20 PM

Recuiting House Rules Regarding 4 and 5 star recruits

I've read the thread on recruiting house rules, but didn't really see anything regarding the number of 4-5 star recruits one should recruit.

As I play with Alabama, there is no shortage of these caliber players interested in my school. It doesn't seem right to just "recruit them all."

I am following fistofrage's suggestion to basically only recruit enough players to fill out the roster. That is, determine how many seniors are on your team and then add three to that number (to account for transfers, players that leave early, etc).

I'm still curious if anyone has drawn up anything regarding the star system, though.

Thanks.

fistofrage 01-15-2009 02:35 PM

Re: Recuiting House Rules Regarding 4 and 5 star recruits

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayFarrar (Post 2039087094)
I've read the thread on recruiting house rules, but didn't really see anything regarding the number of 4-5 star recruits one should recruit.

As I play with Alabama, there is no shortage of these caliber players interested in my school. It doesn't seem right to just "recruit them all."

I am following fistofrage's suggestion to basically only recruit enough players to fill out the roster. That is, determine how many seniors are on your team and then add three to that number (to account for transfers, players that leave early, etc).

I'm still curious if anyone has drawn up anything regarding the star system, though.

Thanks.

To elaborate on my recruiting guidelines:

1. Must recruit on need 1st. So if you need a FB, one must be at the top of your list.
2. By need, I only recruit players that have a top 10 interest. From there I have to recruit the highest rated players. Can't recruit based on speed. So if you need a receiver and have 2 4*WR's that are B+ speed rated ahead of an A- speed WR, you have to recruit the B+ speed guys.
3. Once you have recruited on Need, you can fill out the rest of the the remaining allowed spots(Seniors +3) by want.
4. Positions by want, you can only recruit players that have top 5 interest int you.
5. Only 1 A speed offensive skill player per class. No A+ speed allowed.
6. No Jucos allowed at ND and academic schools.

Thats the gist of my recruiting rules. I can tell you that it makes the end result of recruiting much more realistic. The good teams will still get their fair share of 4 & 5* recruits. The middle tier schools will get many more 3* than higher rated, but its realitic.

youALREADYknow 01-15-2009 03:44 PM

Here are my general recruiting house rules:

1. Cannot offer scholarships or schedule visits for 5 star players outside of school's pipeline and/or home state.
2. Cannot offer scholarships to 4 star players outside of school's pipeline and/or home state during the regular season. Offering scholarships to these players is allowed during offseason recruiting.
3. Can only add prospects to the recruiting board during Preseason, Week 1, and Offseason. Adding new prospects to the recruiting board during the season is prohibited.
4. Can only offer "No Redshirt" and "Promise Game in Home State" promises in the offseason. All other promises are prohibited.
5. Cannot cut true freshmen from the roster during the offseason.
6. Cannot redshirt the highest rated player at a given position.

It adds a bit of strategy to building/keeping recruiting pipelines and you'll end up losing out on a lot of recruits if you don't add enough 2-3 star recruits to your in-season recruiting board. The offseason recruiting is still too easy as far as I'm concerned, but at least you'll have to start from scratch with most of your prospects in that period.

TrevJo 01-15-2009 08:39 PM

I've never used any such house rules for recruiting. It did get too easy in offline dynasty, but that's why I am exclusively playing online dynasty now that it's available.

In online, we're in year 3 of a CUSA dynasty, we have yet to land any 5-star recruits! No limits have been set on 4 star but we are starting to land a bunch of 'em. Most of us are signing 20-25 recruits per year to fill in holes where the veterans weren't cutting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youALREADYknow (Post 2039087361)
3. Can only add prospects to the recruiting board during Preseason, Week 1, and Offseason. Adding new prospects to the recruiting board during the season is prohibited.

That's an interesting one, I like it.