Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WideOpen Gameplay Gift and a Curse (/forums/showthread.php?t=301374)

da ThRONe 03-08-2009 03:33 PM

WideOpen Gameplay Gift and a Curse

I have read some negative comments about wideopen gameplay one qoute" WideOpen gameplay so easy a caveman can do it". LOL Its not that wideopen gameplay is not an improvement to NCAA the problem is WOGP just further exposed the fact that ratings(outside of speed) are worthless and AI isnt up to snuff. WOGP added a much needed element of realism and sheer fun but they half-assed it and it showed. Hopefully if they fit ratings and AI WOGP will be what we need it to be.

Hellisan 03-08-2009 06:49 PM

Re: WideOpen Gameplay Gift and a Curse

Quote:

Originally Posted by da ThRONe (Post 2039278316)
I have read some negative comments about wideopen gameplay one qoute" WideOpen gameplay so easy a caveman can do it". LOL Its not that wideopen gameplay is not an improvement to NCAA the problem is WOGP just further exposed the fact that ratings(outside of speed) are worthless and AI isnt up to snuff. WOGP added a much needed element of realism and sheer fun but they half-assed it and it showed. Hopefully if they fit ratings and AI WOGP will be what we need it to be.

I agree with a lot of what you're trying to say here.

NCAA 2009 is the first game I've ever played where I've been able to take a punt, break a tackle, and start weaving through the defense, catching realistic blocks all the way down the field. In past versions of NCAA both this gen and last gen, it was like, find a way to run around all the other players. This year it's more realistic, if you see one path that just has one DB standing there, sometimes you can try to just run him over and be rewarded with a lot of open space. Room to make moves, cuts, jukes, etc. I like that aspect of this game quite a bit. Now that the game is many months old I'm sure we've discussed all the negative points to death. Hopefully NCAA 10 puts all the complaints to rest...

Mjphillips 03-08-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellisan (Post 2039279062)

NCAA 2009 is the first game I've ever played where I've been able to take a punt, break a tackle, and start weaving through the defense, catching realistic blocks all the way down the field. In past versions of NCAA both this gen and last gen, it was like, find a way to run around all the other players. This year it's more realistic, if you see one path that just has one DB standing there, sometimes you can try to just run him over and be rewarded with a lot of open space. Room to make moves, cuts, jukes, etc. I like that aspect of this game quite a bit. Now that the game is many months old I'm sure we've discussed all the negative points to death. Hopefully NCAA 10 puts all the complaints to rest...

I agree completely. I love the way I can bust it and not just have to run around players. The middle of the field is finally an option.

deadlyCane 03-09-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellisan (Post 2039279062)

Wait a minute. Are you saying the bad angles the punt/kick coverage team takes is realistic? That just breaks the punt/return IMO. All you need to consistently return punts and kicks is 93 speed rated player. I've played one season with LSU on Heisman and Trindon Holliday had over 11 kick returns for me. I've never heard of a real life NCAA player coming anywhere near that number. I have to relieve him of punt return duties after his first couple attempts. Yeah, I don't want super restrictive punt returns but what they have now is far too easy because of the broken angles and because the game is programmed to slow down players in pursuit.

thelasthurtknee 03-09-2009 03:15 PM

i think what he's saying is the game is finally free of the scripted gameplay. use to be that you knew how a play would work out before it happened. the defenders would always cover the routes the same way, etc. the bad side is the the fact that speed is to prodominate. they will tune this up for this year. it will actually be a better feature this year. it was needed but implemented badly, or atleast the tuning for the D was. the angles seems to be more of a level thing. Rarely see it on Heisman but when on AA guys will run along side of you instead of tackling you like they have to aim at a certain spot before they can tackle. its terrible and know exactly what your talking about. thats not wide open game play. that was on 08 on last gen and way worse. that has to do with something else.

Hellisan 03-09-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee (Post 2039282425)
i think what he's saying is the game is finally free of the scripted gameplay. use to be that you knew how a play would work out before it happened. the defenders would always cover the routes the same way, etc. the bad side is the the fact that speed is to prodominate. they will tune this up for this year. it will actually be a better feature this year. it was needed but implemented badly, or atleast the tuning for the D was. the angles seems to be more of a level thing. Rarely see it on Heisman but when on AA guys will run along side of you instead of tackling you like they have to aim at a certain spot before they can tackle. its terrible and know exactly what your talking about. thats not wide open game play. that was on 08 on last gen and way worse. that has to do with something else.

Yeah. The guy that responded above and has all the touchdowns is a lot better returner than I am, lol.

Still, this is the first game where I've been able to get into the open field and have some leeway to make a move this way or that way.... I enjoyed that aspect of the game. In the past, the angles were so stringent that it just seemed like there was one direction you could go and make a big play.

jms493 03-10-2009 12:06 AM

I agree with alot here except the Defensive pursuit angles.....they are all screwed up. Sometime i feel like I am racing the Defenders to the endzone......they are running right besides me. Also you can screw with them to...if you are running towards the side line they will go after you but if you just run straight they will stop pursuiting you and just run next to you.......I have never seen this happen in all my years of Madden.

This needs to be fixed.

thelasthurtknee 03-10-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jms493 (Post 2039284758)
I agree with alot here except the Defensive pursuit angles.....they are all screwed up. Sometime i feel like I am racing the Defenders to the endzone......they are running right besides me. Also you can screw with them to...if you are running towards the side line they will go after you but if you just run straight they will stop pursuiting you and just run next to you.......I have never seen this happen in all my years of Madden.

This needs to be fixed.

yeap, you can watch the videos from russ on utopia that he just posted of his second game in dyansty play and the lb is running shoulder to shoulder down the field with his rb. doesnt even try and make a play. you can tell he's playing on aa or varsity just from that. like i said i dont see this as much on heisman but its there for sure. with as many complaints as it has gotten im sure it will be addressed. as far as wide open game play i agree with the comment that used to be there was one angle you had to take to get away from the d. now all kinds of things happen to get you into space. its just that the D is at a disadvantage in closing on the ball because they seem to have less speed. i hope they spend a good bit of time this year tuning things and not just for head to head play but for the hum vs. cpu games also.