Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Are Console Developers Doing Enough to Punish Cheaters? (/forums/showthread.php?t=304143)

RaychelSnr 03-19-2009 12:21 PM

Are Console Developers Doing Enough to Punish Cheaters?

Gamers who have some experience playing PC games are undoubtedly familiar with Valve Corporation and its homegrown anti-cheat client.

Valve's innovative "VAC" (Valve Anti-Cheat) has gone through two iterations -- the marginally successful VAC1 and the industry-leading VAC2 -- since its implementation into the classic online shooter, Counter-Strike, way back in 2002.

The service has done so well that, if one was to name any of the most popular PC shooters right now (Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, etc.), there is a good chance that it is being "watched over" by Valve's VAC client.

Read more - Are Console Developers Doing Enough to Punish Cheaters?

Methlab 03-19-2009 01:57 PM

GReat article. But from a guy who is about to purchase NHL09, should I pass? Is the online unplayable, because that is all I care about.

jyoung 03-19-2009 02:24 PM

NHL '09 has been cheater-free since the patch that came out a few weeks ago, so you don't have worry about them affecting your online experience.

2 or 3 months ago, however, it was a totally different story; the game was, as the article says, unplayable due to the rampant cheating.

For EA to completely ignore the impact that those cheaters had on the online experience during that time is a disservice to all the honest players in the game's community.

The Sim God 03-19-2009 03:14 PM

i like this article

if they cheat ban that ps3/xbox SERIAL NUMBER from going online.

even if you make another account (free ps3, 50 on xbox lvie) you will NOT be able to play online on the system that you cheated on.

imagine if little timmy cheats and got Timmy Sr ps3 banned online.

MassNole 03-19-2009 04:03 PM

So what happens then if you buy a used system of a cheater? No XBL or PSN for you?

sb24 03-19-2009 04:51 PM

Re: Are Console Developers Doing Enough to Punish Cheaters?

Well once we get those websites that sell guides to glitching games (just saw maddens), the developers should be able to stop that. If you have a guy showing you that they make the qb stand in front of the line by doing xxx, then you should be able to stop that. I dont program games, but going off released patches, they can correct errors after the game was shipped. I know you will never catch everything, but when there a guide on how to glitch, cant you put things in place to stop those glitches?

goh 03-19-2009 05:07 PM

Re: Are Console Developers Doing Enough to Punish Cheaters?

They're doing too much offline and not nearly enough online wich is why I don't even bother playing online. All the people I marked with bad rep on XBL nearly all still have a 5 star rep.

Matt Diesel 03-19-2009 06:13 PM

I dont understand the mentality of video game cheaters. What does it provide them? How exactly is it fun to cheat? It takes away the whole purpose of the game. 'Game' being the operative word here.