Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rattings Matter (/forums/showthread.php?t=306679)

PGaither84 03-30-2009 02:41 AM

Rattings Matter

With all this talk about how people can see very little difference between player rattings I thought I should do a small serise of films showing how rattings are implemented in Madden NFL 09.

In this video I show Tom Brady Throwing to Randy Moss against the best adn worst corners in Madden, both of which happen to play on the Raiders.

My video can be found here.

My next video will finish this comparison off with Brady throwing bullet passes to Moss and watching how both corners react. Then I will do the same thing again with my 49ers against the Riaders DBs to show the differences between Brady & Hill and Moss & Bruce.

My plan is to continue these Rattins videos showing other matchups in the passing and running game.

While good user play can give you a genaric feeling about players and teams, solid sim style play can give you a better look at the differences between players in this game.

Thanks for watching.

adembroski 03-30-2009 06:10 AM

Re: Rattings Matter

Really don't wanna come off as an *** here:P Ratings, not rattings:)

Okay, with that over with...

Nice video. You video guys bring a lot to the community with this stuff. I know the ratings to play into things, but I don't think they do enough, so I, for one, really welcome the change in philosophy that Donny has brought to ratings.

PGaither84 03-30-2009 11:26 AM

Thanks Adam, and about the spelling too. Spelling has ALWAYS been a weakness of mine, which is funny becasue in college English was one of the places I would ace.

I completely agree that rattings don't do enough. I just wanted to show that they do make a difference and I want to build on this first video in the comming days. I also look forward to seeing the work Donny has done in M10.

P.S. I changed the pselling on my youtube video but I can't edit this thread title.

Tito78 03-30-2009 12:58 PM

Yeah ratings matter, but those ratings are speed, agility, man and zone coverage. Strength and weight(which are the most important in football) are obsolete in madden 09. Ratings like finesse and power moves for Dlineman aren't really a factor either. When playing, I had as much time to throw the ball against the Redskins as I did against the Giants.

The QB ratings don't really matter either. It was just as easy is to complete passes with medicore QBs as is was with elite QBs. Any difference in difficulty was due to the weapons the QB had around him, rather than the QB himself.

Throwing power really wasn't a factor unless you were throwing a deep lob. If you had a QB with a strong arm like McNabb or Russell, you could throw the ball 75 yards, where as players like Pennington or Garcia could throw it 60 or 65 yards; however, when throwing bullet passes, Pennington and Garcia had just as much zip on the ball as McNabb or Russell. That's not realistic at all. Generally you're not going to throw a deep ball to a WR running a streak route on every play, and when you do, you won't have enough time to let the WR get that far down the field where you would throw the ball 75 yards on a streak route. 60 to 65 yard was really all that was needed; you never really got to see the differences in arm strength between the QBs. Good thing this is already been addressed for Madden 10.

A lot of people who are complaining about ratings not being a factor, are playing against the CPU on all madden mode where the CPU team gets a boost. Most or all of the complaints aren't about things that occur in practice mode, they're occuring in Play Now or in franchise on all madden where the CPU gets a boost in ratings(you were playing in practice mode). I've played the Giants with the Eagles where Jacobs(who's 260 lbs.) would break off 70 yards runs for 6. That's what causes people to claim that the ratings are meaningless.

The defense also takes horrible angles, which allows many players who don't have great speed to break off runs and outrun the entire defense, making it appear that the ratings mean nothing.

If the defense doesn't take the right angles in a particular situation, than speed in that situation won't matter. Many times if the AI is flawed, ratings will be negated.

deadlyCane 03-30-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGaither84 (Post 2039360858)
Thanks Adam, and about the spelling too. Spelling has ALWAYS been a weakness of mine, which is funny becasue in college English was one of the places I would ace.

I completely agree that rattings don't do enough. I just wanted to show that they do make a difference and I want to build on this first video in the comming days. I also look forward to seeing the work Donny has done in M10.

P.S. I changed the pselling on my youtube video but I can't edit this thread title.

Funny, you just can't get the spelling right. It's like you're allergic to proper spelling.

Anyway, these two videos clearly explain that ratings don't matter:

- Strength and Weight Mean Nothing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89kX3OA2yvc

- Teddy No Ankles (Agility Means Nada): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBltC...eature=related

94niners 03-30-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlyCane (Post 2039361387)
Funny, you just can't get the spelling right. It's like you're allergic to proper spelling.

[...]

:splat::bil::splat:

That was already pointed out in the second post of the thread. It seems that you are allergic to proper forum "netiquette." You know, thw whole "read the thread before posting" thing. It's only three posts, you know...

EDIT- we have a good "49er Fan to Barbarian" ratio in this thread so far... keep up the good work men.

deadlyCane 03-30-2009 02:05 PM

It wasn't meant to be mean spirited. I can see how it can be interpreted as such. For that I apologze . Nevertheless I thought it was funny.

94niners 03-30-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlyCane (Post 2039361468)
It wasn't meant to be mean spirited. I can see how it can be interpreted as such. For that I apologze . Nevertheless I thought it was funny.

Yeah, I was joking too. That's why the tomatoes and karate guy.