Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Change the Kicking System (/forums/showthread.php?t=306974)

rudyjuly2 03-31-2009 11:55 AM

Change the Kicking System

When EA moved to the Right Analog kick system on field goals, it made kicking field goals way too easy, particularly on kicks in the middle of the hashes. You could nail every kick there and struggle a little on kicks from the hash. The old button system would feature hooks and slices and produced far more realistic results.

The right analog system could be saved but not the way EA does it. 2K5 had a drift to the arrow which made it a lot less predictable and more interesting. APF did a different system that I was awful at for the short time I had the game.

My last point about the kicking system is that is should largely be about the accuracy. Field goal length should not vary as much as it does. Every kicker in the NFL has enough leg to hit anything inside 45-48 yards. Why on earth would we ever emulate someone being short on a 35 yard kick, even if they completely screwed up the meter? Minimizing or maximizing kick length should only cost you about 10 yards.

I should add that Tiger Woods lets you use either the analog approach or button approach. Why not give us an option?

edgarallanpoe 03-31-2009 11:59 AM

Re: Change the Kicking System

HEAR! HEAR!

Derrville 03-31-2009 12:08 PM

2Ks is great, and i popped in Madden 05 and they had the accuracy point in the middle, that would be welcomed back too.

thudias 03-31-2009 12:22 PM

I don't know I voted other....Anything has to be better than what we have now.

dave374 03-31-2009 12:42 PM

There's nothing wrong with the current kicking system.
It's the ratings that need to be overhauled.
If kickers kicked to their ratings, the system wouldn't need to be changed.

And maybe kicker and QB ratings could be flexible for bad weather games ... say a drop of 10 pts or something.

marktg30 03-31-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derrville (Post 2039365370)
2Ks is great, and i popped in Madden 05 and they had the accuracy point in the middle, that would be welcomed back too.

I feel like APF 2K8's kicking system is way too random. There isn't enough user influence.

I would be all for the moving arrow aspect.

Something like if it were a very windy game you would have to constantly correct the angle for the kick (the arrow would move faster in said direction).

In rainy or snowy conditions the kicker would take a longer time to put more power into his kick (or something to sacrifice for power/accuracy).

Cryolemon 03-31-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marktg30 (Post 2039365510)
I feel like APF 2K8's kicking system is way too random. There isn't enough user influence.

I would be all for the moving arrow aspect.

Something like if it were a very windy game you would have to constantly correct the angle for the kick (the arrow would move faster in said direction).

In rainy or snowy conditions the kicker would take a longer time to put more power into his kick (or something to sacrifice for power/accuracy).

A cross between APF's system and what we have now would be cool. I like that system because if you badly mess up you pay for it with shanked and blocked kicks..

canes21 03-31-2009 01:15 PM

It should be like onside kicks, but without the arrow. That way people would have to learn to angle the ball.