Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Automatic from 52 yards out (/forums/showthread.php?t=307198)

Paytonsplace 04-01-2009 12:24 AM

Automatic from 52 yards out

One major question about Madden '10 is "Have field goals been fixed?". That is, can the user still boot them with ease from the 35 yard line? This part of Madden always took me right out of the game. I hope the developers give some love to the kicking game and FIX IT!!! (sorry SNL thing).

XtremeDunkz 04-01-2009 12:28 AM

Re: Automatic from 52 yards out

hate to break it to you..but with a conversation I literally just had with Ian on twitter...looks like as of right now it hasn't been changed.

Exonerated 04-01-2009 12:31 AM

Ratings just need to have more effect than they do. Right now the accuracy rating doesn't mean anything.

Theres no difference from 80 accuracy and 99 accuracy.

Paytonsplace 04-01-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremedunkz (Post 2039368910)
hate to break it to you..but with a conversation I literally just had with Ian on twitter...looks like as of right now it hasn't been changed.

Ouch!! that is bad news. There is still time to fix it though. I really hope they do 'cause for the first time since '06 I've been thinking about picking up Madden.

adembroski 04-01-2009 12:46 AM

Gonna jump in here because we're having this conversation on twitter and I think we should move it to a more logical location for an extended conversation.

Megatron2k7 asked- "@xtremedunkz @adembroski What did you guys think of the kicking system in APF2k8...? I wasn't a huge fan, but liked some aspects of it."

I liked the aspects that it's not automatic, but honestly, I prefer the LastGen kicking system... yes, the antiquated meter was just fine. Not everything needs to be on the stick.

There's a big piece of the puzzle everyone's missing.

Does anyone remember a kicker named Jose Cortez? He played for the 49ers, Cowboys, and the Redskins (I think). He had one major weakness in his game, other than a bad habit of mouthing off to the strongest man in NFL history... and that was his inability to get any loft on his kicks.

Everything was line-drive... so he was blocked several times a season. To this point, we've always just had absolute control over our trajectory... why? This is the primary reason blocks never happen... because we can simply put enough loft on the ball to get over the defenders with no risk of failure (not to mention the poor kicked ball physics to begin with).

There was a punter with a similar issue. Black dude, played for the Gaints, I can't remember his name, but he used to hit 90 yard punts. Problem was, they were so low the returner had a 20 yard head start before anybody could get near him.

So, there are three aspects of kicking... maybe that's a bit much to ask someone to deal with on a routine extra point, so here's my proposal...

The user should control, with some difficulty, accuracy and angle-of-takeoff. Distance will be based on a combination of angle and KPW rating. So an arrow in front of the holder goes up and down and you press to stop it, then it starts going left and right, you press to stop it. Get the right angle and you'll get maximum distance... but it'll be low so the defense has a better chance to make the block. For extra points, it'd be prudent to take a high angle to avoid the block.

Megatron2k7 04-01-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exonerated (Post 2039368926)
Ratings just need to have more effect than they do. Right now the accuracy rating doesn't mean anything.

Theres no difference from 80 accuracy and 99 accuracy.

You are right for the most part..... but that's not entirely true if you put your kicking accuracy sliders down below 15. I've seen CPU kickers really struggle at this setting, and you don't have much room for error as the human controlled kicker either. Once you get the hang of making sure your always pushing straight up on the stick, it still is too easy though.

Megatron2k7 04-01-2009 12:52 AM

I agree adembroski...... I think trajectory is not given enough attention in the kicking game.

I wouldn't mind at all if a system was brought back like in the old days for kicking either. It was definately harder to master.

Brandon_c993 04-01-2009 12:54 AM

lol 52 yarders automatic? I cant even hit a 42 yarder with Vinatieri....:frown: