Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A Plea For Unpredictability (/forums/showthread.php?t=307212)

Guillotine 1 04-01-2009 01:34 AM

A Plea For Unpredictability

Football: A game of inches, & a test of wills.

How many times have you seen the greatest players on one knee praying? Hoping? Pleading for that fumble to be their ball, begging for that penalty to go the other way. Watching in shock as the snap sails high over the head of the QB.

How many games have come down to crunch time & a certain holder bobbles the snap? Or a QB who has thrown 6 Ints & fumbled twice marches his team to within FG range for a chance at an OT win?

How many tipped passes have gone back for defensive TD's? How many punts have been shanked or blocked resulting in outstanding field position or a TD late in the 4th qtr? How many kickoff returnmen have lost sight of the ball in the sun or in the stadium lights?

I'm asking...I'm kindly suggesting...I'm just saying...

Please, add random unpredictability to this great game. Sometimes the thrill of chance, luck, and a fortunate bounce of the football can cause an entire stadium to raise to its feet in pure and utter jubilation!

Thanks,
Izzy-

marktg30 04-01-2009 01:41 AM

Re: A Plea For Unpredictability

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillotine 1 (Post 2039369099)
Football: A game of inches, & a test of wills.

How many times have you seen the greatest players on one knee praying? Hoping? Pleading for that fumble to be their ball, begging for that penalty to go the other way. Watching in shock as the snap sails high over the head of the QB.

How many games have come down to crunch time & a certain holder bobbles the snap? Or a QB who has thrown 6 Ints & fumbled twice marches his team to within FG range for a chance at an OT win?

How many tipped passes have gone back for defensive TD's? How many punts have been shanked or blocked resulting in outstanding field position or a TD late in the 4th qtr? How many kickoff returnmen have lost sight of the ball in the sun or in the stadium lights?

I'm asking...I'm kindly suggesting...I'm just saying...

Please, add random unpredictability to this great game. Sometimes the thrill of chance, luck, and a fortunate bounce of the football can cause an entire stadium to raise to its feet in pure and utter jubilation!

Thanks,
Izzy-

Although I agree with your post, I must say that if the CPU QB gets picked 6 times and the game isn't over yet - he better be on the bench.

I remember picking Jake Plummer back in Madden 08 nine times in one game. It was ridiculous. I don't care if your QB is Tom Brady - 6 INTs gets you a nice seat on the bench next to the practice squad, because that is where you belong.

Exonerated 04-01-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marktg30 (Post 2039369122)
Although I agree with your post, I must say that if the CPU QB gets picked 6 times and the game isn't over yet - he better be on the bench.

I remember picking Jake Plummer back in Madden 08 nine times in one game. It was ridiculous. I don't care if your QB is Tom Brady - 6 INTs gets you a nice seat on the bench next to the practice squad, because that is where you belong.

Apparently not if your Jake Delhomme in the playoffs.

Guillotine 1 04-01-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exonerated (Post 2039369128)
Apparently not if your Jake Delhomme in the playoffs.

Or Tony Romo in Buffalo...

It was an example of a real life situation, I used it to make the point. Thats all. Nobody is saying that QB's should throw 6 picks, but it happens...that defense held up really well and gave the team a chance to win in the end...and the kicker came through...that was one of the most exciting games i can remember...it was nuts...thats football.

Guillotine 1 04-01-2009 01:56 AM

All I'm saying is...

The best guys in the business sit down & draw up these plays, these off./def. concepts have been around for a century...and it rarely works out excatly the way they draw it up. Sometimes things go wrong, sometimes players fail to execute...I want that factor to be apart of this game as well...I want the human factor.

TheWatcher 04-01-2009 08:06 AM

Even Joe Montana got benched once in... in a PLAYOFF GAME of all places... of course he came back the next year and put together a 92-yard drive to beat the Bengals in SB 23... He was the man.

Anyway, yeah the QB's should be benched for poor performance in this game and when the new QB enters the game the commentator should say something about it. I remember in NCAA Football how when a new QB enters the game Nessler makes mention of it.

I agree fully Guillotine, the little things, the little nuances; these things make a big difference to making the experience come alive.

Derrville 04-01-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillotine 1 (Post 2039369147)
Or Tony Romo in Buffalo...

It was an example of a real life situation, I used it to make the point. Thats all. Nobody is saying that QB's should throw 6 picks, but it happens...that defense held up really well and gave the team a chance to win in the end...and the kicker came through...that was one of the most exciting games i can remember...it was nuts...thats football.

Word

RGiles36 04-01-2009 08:35 AM

Speaking of unpredictability, I've recently had some thoughts about making the CPU less predictable. I mean for years, the CPU has ALWAYS had 3 timeouts at the two minute warning. I'd like to see the CPU occasionally use their timeouts outside of two minutes; maybe coming to the line and making adjustments and calling a T.O. prior to the play clock running out. Just a little something to make the CPU feel less scripted. To piggyback off of that, with the accelerated clock coming back into play, it would be neat to see the CPU occasionally get a delay of game called. Again, they could try making adjustments at the line where the play clock eventually defeats them.

I don't know, I've just been kicking around those ideas for the past couple weeks and never mentioned it.