Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   HUGE Madden rant and my take on the passing system (/forums/showthread.php?t=308244)

Echopax 04-04-2009 11:33 PM

HUGE Madden rant and my take on the passing system

In this thread I'm going to give my opinion about the passing system, which has been a hot topic as of late, as well as let out my pent up frustration with EA sports. I'm willing to bet that most of you can relate to the following paragraphs in this post. So, sit back and enjoy. Please don't take any of this too seriously. Though I mean most of what is in this topic, I'm not trying to start any internet wars.

Let the rant begin.

The only way they can make the passing system work the way it should is to bring back the passing cone, but make an option to turn it off for the people who don't like it.

The double tapping that some suggest (press once to look at the receiver, press button again to actually pass) will become much more annoying than it sounds, and won't allow people to turn it off if they don't like it, etc.

Whether people like to admit it or not, the passing cone is the only way to make the passing game somewhat like it is in the NFL.

Sorry, but when your QB is facing to the right, he's not able to hit someone running an out route to the left in the chest in a microsecond without even thinking about it. Not even Nostradamus could accomplish this.

The passing cone created the delay within itself. If you had to quickly make a throw to the outside, you'd have to sacrifice accuracy (the time it takes you to move the cone over to your receiver).

I still have no idea why it was removed in the first place. The cone revolutionized passing in football games. I mean, people complain when DBs and LBs become psychics when batting balls down, but they are against fixing psychic QBs.

I'll repeat. They need to bring back the cone, but make there an option to turn it off.

If they spew out some garbage like "sorry, due to etc etc, it won't make it in this year, sorry!", it just goes to show how well they listen to their consumers. If I hear that phrase once more, then I won't buy the game. It's been ten years, a decade, since this game has been on capable systems (starting with PS2), and they still don't know what the hell is going on, until this year.

In 2005, things that should have been in Madden 06 might be in it next year.

In 2006, things that should have been in Madden 07 might be in it next year.

In 2007, things that should have been in Madden 08 might be in it next year.

In 2008, things that should have been in Madden 09 might be in it this year.

This year, things that should have been in Madden 10 might be in it next year.

At this rate, we might, and I repeat, might be starting to see things that should have been included in Madden 06, hurray!

You get the idea. Am I the only person who started seeing a trend with this company? I don't mean Ian and his crew, I mean the hooligans who somehow landed a job making a football simulation game before them. Some of whom are still on the production team.

I think NFL Blitz had more realistic physics than the Madden series.

I can only imagine what goes on when they have their meetings.

"Listen up guys, we're only going to include one or two new features each year so these schmucks keep coughing up the cash. Oh yeah, since we have no competition, why don't we crank up the price to what it was before ESPN started foiling our plans. I mean damn, they actually had us sweating. I really thought we'd have to hit the 5 mark in the new feature column in Madden 06. Thank the lord we landed that Monopoly.

Back to point guys. Are you guys still awake? Ok, good. Don't forget to tease them with new content. You know, put it in there, but don't over-do it. Make them look forward to the next game. The next $59.99. Buwahahaha. Donuts and coffee are on the table guys.

Oh, don't forget the deal. Anyone who can find a way to improve the grass this year gets a bonus. I mean, hell, we've spent so much time making the grass look better that we actually forgot to include half of the content that was in Madden 2001! Man, we have such a hell of time working on this franchise!

"One more thing. We're going to put Brett Favre on the cover this year, if you haven't heard. He's retiring indefinitely this time. There's no way in hell he's coming back. See ya' tomorrow, guys!"

They can fix the physics engine to perfection and line Big Ben's jock with the same cloth it is in real life for all I care. But, until we get everything in one package, from presentation to franchise, from creating plays to post game replays, the future of this game will be a moving slow. How slow?

Slower than dehydrated turtles stampeding through peanut butter, with weights strapped to their ankles, coupled with category five hurricane winds blowing in their faces. Under water. On the moon.

"I know there isn't water on the moon. Don't even go there."

I'm ending my rant on an optimistic note. I like the way certain things have been going with this project, but there is still a possibly of a letdown in my opinion. They may have bit off more than they can chew.

Can't wait for the next blog update. :woot:

On a side note, you might want to refrain from quoting this entire post for the sake of the interwebs.

buddyhobbs321813 04-04-2009 11:40 PM

Re: HUGE Madden rant and my take on the passing system

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echopax (Post 2039385388)

In this thread I'm going to give my opinion about the passing system, which has been a hot topic as of late, as well as let out my pent up frustration with EA sports. I'm willing to bet that most of you can relate to the following paragraphs in this post. So, sit back and enjoy. Please don't take any of this too seriously. Though I mean most of what is in this topic, I'm not trying to start any internet wars.

Let the rant begin.

The only way they can make the passing system work the way it should is to bring back the passing cone, but make an option to turn it off for the people who don't like it.

The double tapping that some suggest (press once to look at the receiver, press button again to actually pass) will become much more annoying than it sounds, and won't allow people to turn it off if they don't like it, etc.

Whether people like to admit it or not, the passing cone is the only way to make the passing game somewhat like it is in the NFL.

Sorry, but when your QB is facing to the right, he's not able to hit someone running an out route to the left in the chest in a microsecond without even thinking about it. Not even Nostradamus could accomplish this.

The passing cone created the delay within itself. If you had to quickly make a throw to the outside, you'd have to sacrifice accuracy (the time it takes you to move the cone over to your receiver).

I still have no idea why it was removed in the first place. The cone revolutionized passing in football games. I mean, people complain when DBs and LBs become psychics when batting balls down, but they are against fixing psychic QBs.

I'll repeat. They need to bring back the cone, but make there an option to turn it off.

If they spew out some garbage like "sorry, due to etc etc, it won't make it in this year, sorry!", it just goes to show how well they listen to their consumers. If I hear that phrase once more, then I won't buy the game. It's been ten years, a decade, since this game has been on capable systems (starting with PS2), and they still don't know what the hell is going on, until this year.

In 2005, things that should have been in Madden 06 might be in it next year.

In 2006, things that should have been in Madden 07 might be in it next year.

In 2007, things that should have been in Madden 08 might be in it next year.

In 2008, things that should have been in Madden 09 might be in it this year.

This year, things that should have been in Madden 10 might be in it next year.

At this rate, we might, and I repeat, might be starting to see things that should have been included in Madden 06, hurray!

You get the idea. Am I the only person who started seeing a trend with this company? I don't mean Ian and his crew, I mean the hooligans who somehow landed a job making a football simulation game before them. Some of whom are still on the production team.

I think NFL Blitz had more realistic physics than the Madden series.

I can only imagine what goes on when they have their meetings.

"Listen up guys, we're only going to include one or two new features each year so these schmucks keep coughing up the cash. Oh yeah, since we have no competition, why don't we crank up the price to what it was before ESPN started foiling our plans. I mean damn, they actually had us sweating. I really thought we'd have to hit the 5 mark in the new feature column in Madden 06. Thank the lord we landed that Monopoly.

Back to point guys. Are you guys still awake? Ok, good. Don't forget to tease them with new content. You know, put it in there, but don't over-do it. Make them look forward to the next game. The next $59.99. Buwahahaha. Donuts and coffee are on the table guys.

Oh, don't forget the deal. Anyone who can find a way to improve the grass this year gets a bonus. I mean, hell, we've spent so much time making the grass look better that we actually forgot to include half of the content that was in Madden 2001! Man, we have such a hell of time working on this franchise!

"One more thing. We're going to put Brett Favre on the cover this year, if you haven't heard. He's retiring indefinitely this time. There's no way in hell he's coming back. See ya' tomorrow, guys!"

They can fix the physics engine to perfection and line Big Ben's jock with the same cloth it is in real life for all I care. But, until we get everything in one package, from presentation to franchise, from creating plays to post game replays, the future of this game will be a moving slow. How slow?

Slower than dehydrated turtles stampeding through peanut butter, with weights strapped to their ankles, coupled with category five hurricane winds blowing in their faces. Under water. On the moon.

"I know there isn't water on the moon. Don't even go there."

I'm ending my rant on an optimistic note. I like the way certain things have been going with this project, but there is still a possibly of a letdown in my opinion. They may have bit off more than they can chew.

Can't wait for the next blog update. :woot:

im all for anything as long as their is an option to turn it on or off.
im not a fan of the cone but it would be a good feature to have in the game in case i would want to use it to make things different.

Derrville 04-04-2009 11:57 PM

bad*** rant!

GiantBlue76 04-04-2009 11:58 PM

Instead of bringing back the passing cone, make it realistic when throwing the football. What I mean is, if I am rolling out to my right, I can't possibly fire a strike across my body and across the field and hit a receiver in stride who is running left. It's ridiculous. The QB should attempt to plant his feet and get his body in a position to throw it. On top of it, there shouldn't be much mustard on the throw.

Echopax 04-05-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdevil20 (Post 2039385470)
Instead of bringing back the passing cone, make it realistic when throwing the football. What I mean is, if I am rolling out to my right, I can't possibly fire a strike across my body and across the field and hit a receiver in stride who is running left. It's ridiculous. The QB should attempt to plant his feet and get his body in a position to throw it. On top of it, there shouldn't be much mustard on the throw.

I agree. All I want is a 100% realistic passing system. It's just too easy as it is. I'm stick of effortlessly racking up 250-300 yards passing on 5 minute quarters.

RGiles36 04-05-2009 12:04 AM

You sure didn't lie when you said rant :google:...

Man, that April Fool's QB Vision 3.0 blog has brought the pro-QB Vision fans out the woodworks! There's been threads sprouting up about QB Vision ever since.

Echopax 04-05-2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgiles36 (Post 2039385483)
You sure didn't lie when you said rant :google:...

Man, that April Fool's QB Vision 3.0 blog has brought the pro-QB Vision fans out the woodworks! There's been threads sprouting up about QB Vision ever since.

Well, I always liked the vision cone and was sad that it wasn't included in 09. The April's Fools joke kind of brought the subject to the table, so I figured I'd put in my two cents before the subject disappears.

TJdaSportsGuy 04-05-2009 12:15 AM

Oh, wow, a vision code thread! We sure haven't seen a new one of these pop up in say...I dunno....10 minutes!

Use one of the already existing vision cone threads please.