Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden 10, Please Tone Down AMAZING Plays!!! (/forums/showthread.php?t=308305)

Swingking77 04-05-2009 11:56 AM

Madden 10, Please Tone Down AMAZING Plays!!!

I know that many people out there are simply going to say "what are you!? Nuts!" but here me out...

When every single play is a mindblowing backflipping catch, that ends with a big hit from the hit stick... It all gets kind of tired... Know what I mean... I all stop being so special and it just becomes normal...

If you watch any sport... ANY sport... Not every play is a highlight reel play, BUT that just makes those that qualify as special all the more amazing...

Being able to control various aspects of the game in this respect actuely hurt the over all feel and look of the game... I personally think that you should be able to go for huge hits and spectacular catches and interceptions all you want, but that they seriously have to get some serious downside to these plays and a much lower success rate then they've had since adding these features into the game... It's too easy to bowl people over on both sides of the ball, and it's way too easy to make big catches as well...

Maybe it's just me, but I find it all takes away from how special the big plays should be... Like if all you're driving is a Ferrari, what else is there to strive for... And if every single car you see is a Ferrari, what's the fun in that?

That being said, let the ratings do the talking... That's what they're there for... Having the special commands only means that EVERYONE has a chance and making the big play, which simply isn't the case in real life... And it shouldn't be the case here... Imagine if every single player could run a 4.2 in the combine... It's the same for these things... In a way simplefying thigns would go a long way for making the indevidual players more amazing... It's not everyone that can catch like Fitzgerald, it's not every DB that can intercept like Reed, it's not every back that blow people up like White, and it's not every LB that can hit like ray Lewis...

You try and make a WR jump like Moss and he doesn't have the ratings, he might make it, then again he might not, and he may land and break a leg...

You try and make an HB blast people like Grant, and he migh break the tackle, he might have to sit and get his wind back... Or he might break his neck, arm... Or fumble the ball...

Same goes for linebackers... Try and line a guy up and use the big stick. He might just make it, then again, he might break his back... (as a side note to this, some guys are sure tackles, some guys hit hard... Not everyone does both well, as such represent that fact)

SageInfinite 04-05-2009 12:01 PM

Re: Madden 10, Please Tone Down AMAZING Plays!!!

Totally agree. Personally I don't see too many amazing plays. I think that has to do with the game being lackluster though.

Derrville 04-05-2009 01:22 PM

Agreed, EA constantly goes for a WOW factor and it just fails.

kcarr 04-05-2009 01:30 PM

I agree, in madden they try to make every play huge. It seems that over the course of the game if you add up turnovers, plays stopped for loss, and plays where touchdowns are scored it would total more plays than if you total all plays that go for between one and 10 yards unless you run QB sneaks and fullback dives a lot. Those are the only plays I see giving the ability to put together sustained drives. Also, there are usually too many ints, too many big hits with too few wrap up tackles, too many pancake blocks, too many leaping catches where the player gets flipped over in the air, too much of all that stuff where madden is trying to make the game more exciting. The problem is that with those plays being the norm, what does it take to be spectacular?

Swingking77 04-05-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcarr (Post 2039386526)
I agree, in madden they try to make every play huge. It seems that over the course of the game if you add up turnovers, plays stopped for loss, and plays where touchdowns are scored it would total more plays than if you total all plays that go for between one and 10 yards unless you run QB sneaks and fullback dives a lot. Those are the only plays I see giving the ability to put together sustained drives. Also, there are usually too many ints, too many big hits with too few wrap up tackles, too many pancake blocks, too many leaping catches where the player gets flipped over in the air, too much of all that stuff where madden is trying to make the game more exciting. The problem is that with those plays being the norm, what does it take to be spectacular?

Bingo... Well put... I'm half waiting for my WR to spontaniously burst into flames, while jumping 36 feet in the air (the norm is often 30 anyhow, but oh well) exploding as he hits the endzone in a fireworks display, only to have all of the shrapnel reasemble itself back into the WR who sporting a super cool heisman pose... I think we can all agrea that this would pretty much be the best thing ever, that is until they give a coloured spot in the endzone letting EVERYONE do it [SK rolls his eyes, thoughs hands up in the air, and walks away]

marktg30 04-05-2009 01:36 PM

The ridiculous catch animations seem to make it look like a WR gets flipped head over heels 1 out of every 7 catches.

I would just like to see more realistic CPU choices while running the ball. We can juke, spin and truck defenders... Why doesn't the CPU return the favor?

SouthernBrick 04-05-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcarr (Post 2039386526)

I agree...this is where they realy need to take the physics, player momentum, height and weight, rating, collision detection, and make it the best to their abilities. Make all of these things important and madden/football fans will fall in love with this game. this is when it comes to the gameplay of madden.

If they take into effect all of these needs people will not be talking bout 2k for some time. It will be forgotten if this game becomes better than 2k eventually, but thats If they keep there exclusive lisence but you also gotta have that presentation on point.

I don't know if the presentation can be better than 2k, this year but I hope Ian and the crew prove me wrong.

TDogg09 04-05-2009 05:53 PM

I agree as well. Toning them down and having them happen only occasionally will make them that much cooler when they happen.