Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What Can't Be Done? (/forums/showthread.php?t=308700)

marktg30 04-06-2009 09:58 PM

What Can't Be Done?

I debated creating a thread about this, but didn't know how to do it without typing "Hey Ian".

When we go to move our team to a new City in Franchise mode or create a team from scratch. Is there some sort of agreement with the NFL or other licensing that prevents the use of trademarked logos or names (even in a licensed game)?

Just curious if you (any of the Devs) could point me/the community in the direction of some things that simply can't be fixed or messed with from a end-user perspective.

This would help keep some 'stupid questions/complaints' from occurring every couple hours.

Thanks

ghostlight85 04-06-2009 10:00 PM

Re: What Can't Be Done?

This is a good question, I hope it gets answered.

PGaither84 04-06-2009 10:07 PM

I think it has soemthing to do with the game not being able to represent the SF49ers [or anyother team] in a city they do NOT currently reside in. I think it is just the same as not having a nespaper feature wher Plex shoots himself in the leg of T.O. cries about his quarterback.

marktg30 04-06-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGaither84 (Post 2039393711)
I think it has soemthing to do with the game not being able to represent the SF49ers [or anyother team] in a city they do NOT currently reside in. I think it is just the same as not having a nespaper feature wher Plex shoots himself in the leg of T.O. cries about his quarterback.

What about the St. Louis Cardinals...Los Angeles Raiders...Baltimore Colts....

The list kinda goes on...

I understand your point, BUT I would really like to hear something concrete from someone at EA.

PGaither84 04-06-2009 10:18 PM

I would too. As far as historic teams go, i am not sure if the game uses those name's or not, and even if they do, those were part of the REAL teams history. What you can and cannot have those teams do is something else all together. I could care less if you can mve the Raiders to Mexico, but Al Davis might get all pi$$y is he knew the Raiders and thier logo and what not could be moved in a video game and what no. I think that's dumb, but I'm not a lawyer for EA either.

marktg30 04-06-2009 10:40 PM

Trying to keep this bumped.

Perfect Zero 04-06-2009 11:20 PM

I figure that you can't do it because it is messing with the image of a team within NFL properties. That would be the same reason you can't edit uniforms as well.

Ian_Cummings 04-06-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Zero (Post 2039394187)
I figure that you can't do it because it is messing with the image of a team within NFL properties. That would be the same reason you can't edit uniforms as well.

+1