Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   EA struggles with another $310 million in lost revenue... (/forums/showthread.php?t=312231)

NFLHITMAN 04-18-2009 08:13 PM

EA struggles with another $310 million in lost revenue...

EA loses $310 million in Q209, 6% of employees being let go

by Alexander Sliwinski { Oct 30th 2008 at 6:00PM }
<!-- sphereit start -->

Electronic Arts has revealed its second quarter fiscal results (ending Sept. 30) ... and things aren't pretty. The company lost $310 million in the quarter, another big hit following Q1's $95 million loss. Highlights from the quarter were the sales of Madden NFL 09 (4.5 million sold), Spore (2 million sold) and Warhammer Online (1.2 million sold).

Unfortunately, EA's continuing hard times will impact its employees. The company plans to let go of 6% of its work force, which amounts to about 600 jobs. The next two quarters are when EA normally really starts bringing in the cash -- not that it'll mean much to those who'll be unemployed soon.

[Via GameDaily]<!-- sphereit end -->

Tags: ea, ea-sports, electronic-arts, madden-09, q209, spore, warhammer-online

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

I hope Madden 10 lives up to the hype that Ian and team is trying to do because another major let down with Madden and EA will lose more than this in the coming years.

I feel very bad for the employees who are losing there jobs and it is part the fault of the economy and part EA. In an economy where the dollar is more important than ever it will be hard for the consumers to trust someone who does not live up to there own hype.

If you go to the store now days you are going to buy 1 game instead of a few and therefore if a game developer wants your dollar there should be hands down the best on the market. Considering that Madden is the only up to date football game because of the license you would think it would be an easy sale. I bet half of the Madden 10 games that will be purchased will be from trade in's.

With the news of another football game getting ready for release it could be a huge hit on EA and Madden sales. Back Breaker is supposed to reveal a game trailer at E3 and a is published by a very well known publisher.

Here is a blurry pic of Back Breaker....

http://twitpic.com/3gde4

I for one have been burned by Madden more than once and this year I will be getting this through Gamefly which will take 3-4 days to get here. That is plenty of time to hear the feedback before I ever get Madden 10 in my hands. If Madden 10 does not live up to the $60 investment I will save my money for the new game soon to come out :)

I do feel sorry for the EA employees who are losing there jobs and I Hope and Pray you will land on your feet soon! :y220::y220::y220::y220::y220::y220::y220::y220:

SouthernBrick 04-18-2009 08:35 PM

Re: EA struggles with another $310 million in lost revenue...

Damn I feel sorry for the people who lost there jobs its not easy losing one especially now. EA better pick it up with the new game realeases like M10 and Fight Night.

Guillotine 1 04-18-2009 08:43 PM

This is old hat.

Every industry in both sectors have been hit hard by the exploitation of the marketplace by some, and the irresponsible policies of the previous administration. The impact of the current status of the U.S. economy reaches arcoss the globe, EA Sports is no execption to that rule. Nor am I, and nor are you.

I don't mean to be short, or rude. I'm extremely tired...please forgive me if I offend you.

NFLHITMAN 04-18-2009 09:29 PM

New Back Breaker pics.....

<hr style="color: rgb(214, 211, 214);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->And this one:

And this one:

<hr style="color: rgb(214, 211, 214);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->

polamalu82 04-18-2009 09:44 PM

I'm going to hold my 60 bucks this year till I get a good look at both games. I really don't care about the NFL license I just care about a good quality football game. If Backbreaker has great customization and gameplay I will probably buy it and wait and buy Madden used.

judgejudy 04-18-2009 09:52 PM

if i had to guess, i'd say this (aside from the obvious pride ian and co. take in their work) is one of the reason's we finally see EA trying so hard to improve their product. they realize that in this economy you have to have a great product or people won't be willing to buy it.

NFLHITMAN 04-18-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polamalu82 (Post 2039443217)
I'm going to hold my 60 bucks this year till I get a good look at both games. I really don't care about the NFL license I just care about a good quality football game. If Backbreaker has great customization and gameplay I will probably buy it and wait and buy Madden used.

This was a while ago and they have tweaked it even more. Look for the E3 game trailer!!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WRtFbhGCtQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WRtFbhGCtQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NFLHITMAN 04-18-2009 09:58 PM

This video alone shows the game play and animations you don't see in Madden 10. GREAT VIDEO!

BTW I am not part of Madden, 2K, or Back Breaker. I just want a GREAT Football game!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iyobHf3C3mo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iyobHf3C3mo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>