Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   No Cap on players ratings! (Madden or NCAA) (/forums/showthread.php?t=313256)

da ThRONe 04-23-2009 12:19 PM

No Cap on players ratings! (Madden or NCAA)

I have been in several discussion about ratings speed more specifically. And at the heart of these this discussions were where to rank players. Some say rank players with there current players meaning if Jeff Demps Florida running back is the fastest college player he should be a 99. Some say player should be scaled based vs. all time greats meaning if Deion Sanders was the fastest college player of all time then you must be equal to or greater to register a 99. Both seeming like good bases for choosing ratings. But then somebody brought up track star Usian Bolt saying if these guys or 99spd where would we put somebody with that kind of top speed. Which got me to thinking why are we capping the ratings to begin with. If JaMarcus Russell arm strength was 106 would this destroy the game? Players are handicapped because there is a cap on just how much they can progress. Why shouldnt Brady and Manning AWR exceed 100? I understand the whole scaling down the rosters thing this year and I agree with it ,but why should Ray Lewis be limited in his wisdom with 99 play recognition? There Larry Fitzgerald catch and so many examples of players that are just exceptional most of us would be hard press to argue couldnt exceed the 99 or even the 100 mark. Call me a homer but I think Drew Brees accuracy exceeds 100.

So what are you guys thoughts on not capping player ratings at 100?

adembroski 04-23-2009 12:22 PM

Re: No Cap on players ratings! (Madden or NCAA)

Two reasons to cap progression.

* Disc space. Different variable types (char, int, floating point, etc.) take up different amounts of memory, regardless the actual number in the field.

* Easier said than tuned. The greater the potential range a player can progress too the tougher it is to balance the game because more has to be accounted for.

Maelstrom-XIII 04-23-2009 12:25 PM

This is an interesting point. However, you have to have some finite end point for the ratings IMO. Otherwise, what's to stop Ray Lewis (other than retirement) from reaching 212 play recognition, while every other play is MUCH lower? Granted, it would really show the elite nature of his play recognition, but it might make him TOO good. Even he would bite on a play action SOMETIMES.

I think that the way to go is with more profound ratings stretches. If a 90 is an elite player, then have 90 be an elite rating. This still gives room for improvement as very few players are SO good at a young age that they could max out easily before being a veteran and a few years from retirement...with maybe Fitz and his catching being the exception...I think EA is going in the right direction, lowering the amount of 95+ players to 50 (from 81 in 09) but I would still like to see more profound stretching.

Just taking the cap off of ratings I think would lead to some major headaches for developers...how would a 200 rated player feel compared to a rookie with 62 rating? You don't want other players to feel unplayable because of the epicness of one elite player at that position...

kcarr 04-23-2009 12:36 PM

Making drew a 101 on accuracy and the next best player a 99 would do nothing different than making drew a 99 and the next best a 97.

A 99 accuracy is not some known value that can be seen. You don't watch a player play and say that guy is definitely a 99 accuracy, you say that guy is the most accurate in the league. This is really shown better when you move toward the middle of the scale.

For instance, what quarterback do you look at and really say "yep, that guy is an 84 on medium range accuracy"? It just doesn't happen.

The solution here is not extending the possible scale up beyond 99 just because people always want to see higher and higher numbers next to their players. The solution is to properly use the 0-99 scale.

Kingspadee 04-23-2009 12:37 PM

Why do they have a CAP on grade scale? Why is it 100 is an A+ why not have an A+++++++++++++++ that way you can see the elite students

Maelstrom-XIII 04-23-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingspadee (Post 2039464127)
Why do they have a CAP on grade scale? Why is it 100 is an A+ why not have an A+++++++++++++++ that way you can see the elite students

I once got an A++ in school (back in the day)...did that make me an elite student? Sweet...99 Calculus Recognition, here I come!

Kingspadee 04-23-2009 12:44 PM

I think the 99 cap is great (100 should never be in a game) it represents perfection and NOONE is perfect.....except the Lions 0-16....and Lyoto Machida who is 14-0

da ThRONe 04-23-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingspadee (Post 2039464127)

There are ways to seperate great students from elite students from geniuses!