Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MMA Forum (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Best way to start following MMA (/forums/showthread.php?t=313594)

DueceDiggla 04-24-2009 08:15 PM

Best way to start following MMA

This is for the guys who have asked, and I'm sure more will once the game drops.

I would say the easiest way is to first follow The Ultimate Fighter on Spike. Its on every Wednesday night. These guys aren't stars, but a lot of them end up sticking in the UFC after the show win or lose. There are a ton of former cast members still in the UFC and a lot of them are very successful.

You have to watch the PPVs whether it be live($44.95) or easily found on the net a few hours after the show is done. I usually have a bunch of people over and watch it, and then DL it the next day and re watch it sober.

The best way to get into it is to watch UFC Unleashed which is on Spike all the time. Its pretty much just a bunch of big name UFC fights or very exciting fights that have happened in the past. You can see a lot of the big name fighters if you watch UFC Unleashed. There is a marathon on Sunday and it usually airs before the Ultimate Fighter on Wednesday nights.

I've been following the sport for 5 years now and its by far my favorite sport and this is coming from a lifelong NFL and NBA fan.

ManiacMatt1782 04-24-2009 08:18 PM

Re: Best way to start following MMA

to hell with 44.95, 5 dollar cover at the sports bar. Any Hooters or Fox and hound/bailey's carrys the fights.

Scoop_Brady 04-24-2009 11:59 PM

Don't forget the free WEC shows if you have the Vs. network and if you're fortunate enough to have HDNet they have a ton of MMA on. I can't wait until Uverse makes it's way out to me so I can switch from Comcast.

MC Fatigue 04-25-2009 12:02 AM

I'm also working on a website that should hopefully be helpful to people interested in the UFC.

I won't say any more than that - but I'm working hard on it in my spare time and hoping to have something ready within a couple months.

Gotmadskillzson 04-25-2009 12:31 AM

just go to www.sherdog.com

They cover MMA extensively, from UFC to K1 and the other organizations. Every PPV they have a live play by play forum. And they have a boat load of podcast interviews with fighters before and after an event.

sven 04-25-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782 (Post 2039472620)
to hell with 44.95, 5 dollar cover at the sports bar. Any Hooters or Fox and hound/bailey's carrys the fights.

Most Buffalo Wild Wings carry them too.

Keith121212 04-25-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson (Post 2039473812)
just go to www.sherdog.com

They cover MMA extensively, from UFC to K1 and the other organizations. Every PPV they have a live play by play forum. And they have a boat load of podcast interviews with fighters before and after an event.

Just make sure you stay away from their forums. If you do decide to read them then don't take any of the opinions seriously. Their forums are full of idiocy.

Jube3 04-25-2009 04:05 AM

I think the best way would probably be to catch The ultimate fighter 1 on dvd. That way you get introduced to a ton of current fighters and build a relationship with them like you would a sports team. Gives you 10-12 people to root for. TUF is probably the best way to get in imo.